LeBrun: Senators have "kicked tires" on Jakob Chychrun

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Listening to the Wally and Methot podcast, I doubt Greig gets moved. He is close friends with Sanderson and Boucher and the team likes to make the kids happy by getting their friends.
I don’t think he gets moved either. FWIW. I’m thinking Sogaard is the sticking point, rather than the big three.

actually not.
Just checked to see lists.
Krebs not on last years top 50.
The only list I care about is my own. ;)

Yeah, Zaitsev has considerable negative value, so Brannstrom or Brannstrom+2nd is fair. A top 3 or 5 protected 1st, a good prospect in Sogaard and a solid prospect in Kleven(in your example) is the least I would think Arizona considers for Chychrun.
I’d do it.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
In 5 minutes I found Krebs ranked 13th among F, 25th, 26th and 35th on 4 separate top 50/100 prospect lists for last year, but nice try. Whether or not he or Greig is the better player is certainly up for debate, but to claim he wasn't a top 50 prospect is a joke
Screwed up, went back and rechecked, I missed him, My excuse is I was on my phone then.

Reactions: Jakey53

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Screwed up, went back and rechecked, I missed him, My excuse is I was on my phone then.
Yeah, was surprised since I had heard and seen alot of people talking him up the last couple years, so when you said he wasn't on top 50 lists, I was a bit skeptical. Greig played well at the WJC, and Krebs did fine in his first season with Buffalo. I think both likely have middle 6 type ceilings, but who knows. Is Greig projected to play this year in the AHL/get a cup of coffee since Ottawa seems pretty set at F, or do Ottawa fans think he will make the team this year?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yeah, was surprised since I had heard and seen alot of people talking him up the last couple years, so when you said he wasn't on top 50 lists, I was a bit skeptical. Greig played well at the WJC, and Krebs did fine in his first season with Buffalo. I think both likely have middle 6 type ceilings, but who knows. Is Greig projected to play this year in the AHL/get a cup of coffee since Ottawa seems pretty set at F, or do Ottawa fans think he will make the team this year?
I hope it’s an AHL season for him with a couple tastes of the NHL but he may force his way onto the team. He is tremendously undervalued as a prospect outside of Ottawa.

Reactions: JTBF81

rt

May 13, 2004
I hope it’s an AHL season for him with a couple tastes of the NHL but he may force his way onto the team. He is tremendously undervalued as a prospect outside of Ottawa.
I’d have traded pick 13-15 in this last draft for Greig rather easily. I don’t underrate him.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I’d have traded pick 13-15 in this last draft for Greig rather easily. I don’t underrate him.
The 2022 draft was terrible. I wouldn’t have moved him for anywhere close to that (specific to 2022 not a normal draft).

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
- Matt Dumba - can't see him not re-signing, but hey, who knows.
Funny, I can't see him re-signing. MN has a really nice crop of Dmen(Addison, Faber, ROR, Hunt, Lambos) coming up, and are in cap hell for the next three years(it's even worse after this year) due to the Suter and Parise buyout penalties. Unless Dumba is prepared to take a significant salary reduction (highly unlikely, given the salary inflation among Dmen), I can't see MN fitting him on the team, cap wise. Skill wise, he would be a loss, for sure.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Funny, I can't see him re-signing. MN has a really nice crop of Dmen(Addison, Faber, ROR, Hunt, Lambos) coming up, and are in cap hell for the next three years(it's even worse after this year) due to the Suter and Parise buyout penalties. Unless Dumba is prepared to take a significant salary reduction (highly unlikely, given the salary inflation among Dmen), I can't see MN fitting him on the team, cap wise. Skill wise, he would be a loss, for sure.
I see where you are coming from, but you guys only have 65m committed next year with Dumba and Boldy being the only significant players to re-sign. The only other player I see getting a significant raise in the next 2 years is Hartman... and by the time anyone else needs a real raise, the bulk of Parise & Suter's deals will be paid off. Am I missing something?

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

I agree with this. The question is does MIN keep him as their own-rental to maximize their chances of winning this year, or do they "f**k it" and take the return they can get by moving him before the deadline.

It's a tough choice because while I think they're a great team, I'm not convinced they're an upper-echelon Cup contender with essentially the same team as last year minus Fiala (and Deslauriers and the goaltending duo of Talbot+Fleury) and the inclusion of Rossi, who may be great long term but will he be an impact player in Year 1?

If I were MIN or Guerin -- and I guess I am given my avatar -- I'd bite the bullet and trade Dumba this year.

It's like when STL traded Shattenkirk in 2017 or Stastny in 2018: it was a tough pill to swallow at the time perhaps, but help set them up for the future (or would have if they drafted better players than Bokk or Kostin with those 1st rounders).

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I see where you are coming from, but you guys only have 65m committed next year with Dumba and Boldy being the only significant players to re-sign. The only other player I see getting a significant raise in the next 2 years is Hartman... and by the time anyone else needs a real raise, the bulk of Parise & Suter's deals will be paid off. Am I missing something?
Yes, Boldy being a RFA at the end of this year. MN will want to get a long term deal with him either at the end of this 22-23 or 23-24, which could be quite a contract if he continues on from where he left off last year. Remember, the cap penalties(15M) are at their highest in 23-24 and 24-25.
I also don't know if MN wants re-up Dumba, given the talent they have in their prospect D pool (I didn't even mention players like Spacek and Healey, who are well thought of by some), and the fact that they are already committed to paying aging D on long term contracts in Brodin and Spurgeon.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
c-d-iacwsaauzaq-i6ebgla.gif

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I agree with this. The question is does MIN keep him as their own-rental to maximize their chances of winning this year, or do they "f**k it" and take the return they can get by moving him before the deadline.

It's a tough choice because while I think they're a great team, I'm not convinced they're an upper-echelon Cup contender with essentially the same team as last year minus Fiala (and Deslauriers and the goaltending duo of Talbot+Fleury) and the inclusion of Rossi, who may be great long term but will he be an impact player in Year 1?

If I were MIN or Guerin -- and I guess I am given my avatar -- I'd bite the bullet and trade Dumba this year.

It's like when STL traded Shattenkirk in 2017 or Stastny in 2018: it was a tough pill to swallow at the time perhaps, but help set them up for the future (or would have if they drafted better players than Bokk or Kostin with those 1st rounders).
Couldn't agree more, and will add that they will have to be pretty delusional to think that they can win against CO to merely get out of their division, nvm an always strong STL and an improved NSH. Dumba will make them better in the short term, but does it really matter, when they are still going to fall short come playoffs?

I think it's smarter for them to bide their time, wait for Wallstedt, Rossi, Yurov, Ohgren, Faber, Lambos, etc. prospects to improve, while watching CO have to finally pay Mackinnon what he's worth, and for STL to age out.

rt

May 13, 2004
The literate part I get, he has team inside sources, so usually pretty credible, since he’s been a team reporter since inception.
I’m sorry. I didn’t mean The Hockey News Reporter. My friend @hbk was referencing a “HockeyBuzz” contributor who said Arizona was desperate and dropping their asking price. The HockeyBuzz is a rag and that guy is a complete hack.

I didn’t intend to give the impression that I was being critical of The Hockey News or their writers. Not what I meant.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I’m sorry. I didn’t mean The Hockey News Reporter. My friend @hbk was referencing a “HockeyBuzz” contributor who said Arizona was desperate and dropping their asking price. The HockeyBuzz is a rag and that guy is a complete hack.

I didn’t intend to give the impression that I was being critical of The Hockey News or their writers. Not what I meant.
My bad I saw you reference Garrioch once, I thought you were talking about him, TIL I scrolled back. No idea which writer your referencing then.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Probably for the best to give the team a chance to play and then re-evaluate just what we have and what we need in 4 months.

We aren't exactly in win-now mode. Give guys a chance to help the problem solve itself.

rt

May 13, 2004
The writers are writing because they need clicks. Deals only get done with deadlines. This was never going to happen in the period between the draft and Labor Day. Camp is the deadline now. No reason to do it much before a week or so prior.

Reactions: jmelm

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3