Prospect Info: Semyon Der-Arguchintsev

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
I've watched him play(only twice this Season) and he was about as unimpressive as you could imagine.

Yes . There is definitely something negative going on here . SDA is not playing anywhere close to his potential and appears to be sulking .
Hard to know if this is a maturity issue or a toxic situation with the Petes coach but something is definitely wrong .
In defence of SDA the Petes looked like a tire fire in the last 2 games against London and Sarnia and the whole team is currently badly underachieving . Their star goalie Hunter Jones also looked awful tonight .
If this keeps up maybe SDA will look for a trade out of Peterborough.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
It’s not surprising that Dubas signed him, he was fantastic in training camp and definitely a fan favourite on this board. It would have been more surprising had Dubas not signed him.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Sad to hear he's under performing. Seemed like a solid kid in his interviews with a good head on his shoulders.

Pulling for him to figure it out.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Doesn't look like his development has taken the next step and is in a dysfunctional environment?

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Not overly worried about him, we know he is good, but his team really isnt.

Kid is a major pass-first player who doesn't have much to work with. I hope the Petes sell him off for a ton of picks.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Not overly worried about him, we know he is good, but his team really isnt.

Kid is a major pass-first player who doesn't have much to work with. I hope the Petes sell him off for a ton of picks.

I haven’t seen him play but some of his stats would suggest he is part of the problem, not a diamond in the rough. I think that’s what most are concerned about, happy for any who have seen him play chime in with a hopeful analysis.

Plot twist: SDA is forcing a trade to the Soo as per secret prerogative from Dubas and he explodes offensively :sarcasm:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I haven’t seen him play but some of his stats would suggest he is part of the problem, not a diamond in the rough. I think that’s what most are concerned about, happy for any who have seen him play chime in with a hopeful analysis.

Plot twist: SDA is forcing a trade to the Soo as per secret prerogative from Dubas and he explodes offensively :sarcasm:

Did you see him in preseason? He clearly has the ability to be much better than this at the junior level.

Reactions: stickty111

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Gordeev and SDA have the misfortune of playing on bad teams. It happens all the time in junior. Doesn't really diminish their potential.
Look at Ian Scott, goalie for Prince Albert, he played on a bad team for few years, and now he's suddenly great and on a winner with the Prince Albert.

Reactions: hockeynorth

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
It’s not surprising that Dubas signed him, he was fantastic in training camp and definitely a fan favourite on this board. It would have been more surprising had Dubas not signed him.

Definitely should've waited to see how he performed this Season before he was signed imo. A 2-3 week camp is far too small of a sample size.

Last edited:

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Not every skilled little player is going to be like Johnny G. Those drafted in the third round and beyond have a 12% chance of playing in the NHL more than 100 games.

The draft is obviously a crap shoot. blah blah,cliche,blah,blah, cliche

Reactions: Coatsy79

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Definitely should've waited to see how he performed this Season before he was signed imo. A 2-3 week camp is far too small of a sample size.
It wasn’t an abnormal thing though.
His play in camp against professionals warranted it. Young guys out of junior that haven’t shown as much get those contracts. I just see this situation could be used in a faulty manner to demean Dubas and that would be silly.

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Probably shouldn't judge him on a 20 game sample size either though... It's a disappointing start without a doubt but let's wait to see if he's able to adjust and overcome whatever the issues is.

Worth reminding he was the youngest player in the draft - there's a lot of growth with this one to do.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Most 3rd round picks never become NHL regulars, and he’s having a really poor start to his draft+1 season. Chances are he never becomes an NHL regular.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
It wasn’t an abnormal thing though.
His play in camp against professionals warranted it. Young guys out of junior that haven’t shown as much get those contracts. I just see this situation could be used in a faulty manner to demean Dubas and that would be silly.

I disagree. Way too small of a sample size.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Probably shouldn't judge him on a 20 game sample size either though... It's a disappointing start without a doubt but let's wait to see if he's able to adjust and overcome whatever the issues is.

Worth reminding he was the youngest player in the draft - there's a lot of growth with this one to do.

I'd agree with you I we're just stat watching. But I've watched him play a couple of times this season and he genuinely didn't generate any offense in the games I've watched. He's soft, and not a particularly great skater for somebody who looks to only be about 5'10.

He definitely doesn't look like a third round pick out there, to say the least.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'd agree with you I we're just stat watching. But I've watched him play a couple of times this season and he genuinely didn't generate any offense in the games I've watched. He's soft, and not a particularly great skater for somebody who looks to only be about 5'10.

He definitely doesn't look like a third round pick out there, to say the least.

Well it seems like your observations match the stat line, but using a 2 game real-time observation is again the same issue you state about training camp - small sample size .... It's not a fair process to state that this period of time is superior to the other period of time when, in fact, both as small sample sizes.

That's all I'm really saying. Need to give a young kid more time to adjust and observe. If we get into January/February without much improvement then I'll be more concerned.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Well it seems like your observations match the stat line, but using a 2 game real-time observation is again the same issue you state about training camp - small sample size .... It's not a fair process to state that this period of time is superior to the other period of time when, in fact, both as small sample sizes.

That's all I'm really saying. Need to give a young kid more time to adjust and observe. If we get into January/February without much improvement then I'll be more concerned.

But like you said, my observations in those 2 games match his production this Season. He's essentially over 1/3rd through his D+1 Season and he has one goal on the year. The sample size isn't as small as you seem to think it is.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
The only thing I don't get is why Dubas signed him to ELC, we have his rights for a couple more years, why the rush?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
SDA will be fine. The sample size is very small.
Its when there was a poster who said Marner doesnt go top 10 in a redraft, or Carlo is better then him based on 20 games.

Reactions: bonjovi0308

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The only thing I don't get is why Dubas signed him to ELC, we have his rights for a couple more years, why the rush?

Mentioned this earlier but they could be concerned he may want to bolt back to the KHL where he could start making money earlier in his career. An early ELC keeps him in North America with the Leafs having more influence on his development

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad