Prospect Info: Semyon Der-Arguchintsev

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Future franchise NHL star 1C in the mould of Claude Giroux minus the snarl. :sarcasm:

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Yeah he's not 18 for another couple of days. He's 5'10 and about 160. He has a brother that's 6'1 but still on the light side at 170ish. I think he's gonna have that slender build like kane/Marner etc..

Kid is electrifying for sure.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I'm concerned about his skating. Lacks explosiveness for a smaller guy.

Great stickhandler with top-end vision, though.
it doesn't seem to stop him from entering the zone with ease, but I'd still like to see him work on that. he'll be interesting to watch this year for sure

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
Lily and SDA were fun to watch in the last tourney game.

Turning into my favorite prospect to follow.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Plenty of time to grow and get faster. He has raw skill and if he tracks correctly, will probably be knocking at the door in 3.5-4 years. So young. Could see him do another 2 years in the OHL, and at least a year, probably 2 in the AHL, dominating each league before the promotion to NHL.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Plenty of time to grow and get faster. He has raw skill and if he tracks correctly, will probably be knocking at the door in 3.5-4 years. So young. Could see him do another 2 years in the OHL, and at least a year, probably 2 in the AHL, dominating each league before the promotion to NHL.
Yes, lots of time. I can see that talent level bypassing the AHL . Would depend on how much he tears up the junior league as well as the needs of the big club though. Or he could show brilliant stuff like Bracco and do time in the AHL .
It seems there won't be any top six jobs for the next 6/7 years on the leafs,maybe when Marleau retires or if Hyman gets a bottom 6 roll,but I doubt it!

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
Yes, lots of time. I can see that talent level bypassing the AHL . Would depend on how much he tears up the junior league as well as the needs of the big club though. Or he could show brilliant stuff like Bracco and do time in the AHL .
It seems there won't be any top six jobs for the next 6/7 years on the leafs,maybe when Marleau retires or if Hyman gets a bottom 6 roll,but I doubt it!
They don't bring anyone from junior direct to the NHL unless they have Marner level talent, and even he had to simmer in junior for an extra year and prove it out of camp. As good a prospect as SDA looks, he is not anywhere close to that level. We don't rush our prospects anymore.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Lets dial it back on pencilling him into the NHL lineup.

He looked good in 1 rookie camp. Let's hope he has an above-average OHL season and we'll take it from there.

Reactions: Tarmore

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
SDA looks to be about 145 lbs. He looks 15. He will have a whole different level of muscle group in 2-3 years. He will play in the OHL for 2 more years for sure. Then more seasoning in the AHL if he is still on a positive trajectory. He has great edges, lacks top speed. He made too many high risk plays at the rookie tourney that were turnovers/would never work in the NHL. He is a good prospect for the Leafs because he has some potential to be an excellent pick. He is deceptive with great vision. He reminds me of Bracco.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
One of the more intriguing Leafs prospects to say the least.

A good reminder perhaps the prospects don’t need to be fully physically developed at the time of the draft. And that scout should look at skill and I Q first and foremost. They literally have years to work on building strength before theyll hit nhl ice

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
One of the more intriguing Leafs prospects to say the least.

A good reminder perhaps the prospects don’t need to be fully physically developed at the time of the draft. And that scout should look at skill and I Q first and foremost. They literally have years to work on building strength before theyll hit nhl ice

This. A bit of a double edged sword with small players out of the CHL is if he doesn't add the necessary strength over the next two years they have to make a decision on his rights. Picking smaller skilled player from Europe buys them a bit more time for them to physically develop.

I agree with you in terms of him being one of the more intriguing prospects. Hopefully he has a good year in the OHL.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Hope he stays in peterborough
Just moved here late last year, saw 1 game. Kinda remember him, think a buddy of mine was mentioning how selfish he was with the puck.... but may have to do with the fact the Petes didn't have many decent guys

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Different animal at the professional level.

Kinda reminds me of Kyle Wellwood.

Wellwood is a pretty good comparison. Not super fast but he's incredibly agile and has fantastic stickhandling and passing abilities.

He's in that Timashov and Wellwood mold for sure.

Reactions: LeafChief

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Lets dial it back on pencilling him into the NHL lineup.

He looked good in 1 rookie camp. Let's hope he has an above-average OHL season and we'll take it from there.
Like I said...lots of time! He has skills that are rarely taught! Also,being mentioned to the likes of Wellwood , Bracco, Marner is only a comparison of talent. I am 'pencilling' him into the NHL ,just not for a few years and very possible it won't be with the Leafs unless he hangs around till he is 24 or so,simply because there isn't any room for a top 6 player barring the unforeseen!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad