Prospect Info: Semyon Der-Arguchintsev

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Mentioned this earlier but they could be concerned he may want to bolt back to the KHL where he could start making money earlier in his career. An early ELC keeps him in North America with the Leafs having more influence on his development

are you talking when his CHL career is over or now?

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
are you talking when his CHL career is over or now?

I think he means if he decides to go to the KHL at some point during his development.

Another benefit is, that if the kid and his family has financial issues, the $80k/yr signing bonii that SDA gets for the next 3 years may be relieving some stress in his or his family's life.

Also the contract will slide and doesn't cost against the 50 contract limit. So it costs literally nothing of value to the Leafs right now.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Well, it's too bad the kid hasn't taken the next steps towards being a special player. You always want to see those early signs that you've unearthed a gem. When guys like Point and Aho were coming up it was pretty self evident what kind of quality their organizations unearthed. Over the past few years the Leafs have taken a lot of flyers on Bracco, Timashov, Dzierkals, SDA, Brooks and none of them have panned out as anything exceptional. It's a good strategy and they should keep doing it. You play the percentages enough and you'll be rewarded.

Reactions: TimeZone

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Well, it's too bad the kid hasn't taken the next steps towards being a special player. You always want to see those early signs that you've unearthed a gem. When guys like Point and Aho were coming up it was pretty self evident what kind of quality their organizations unearthed. Over the past few years the Leafs have taken a lot of flyers on Bracco, Timashov, Dzierkals, SDA, Brooks and none of them have panned out as anything exceptional. It's a good strategy and they should keep doing it. You play the percentages enough and you'll be rewarded.

I think it is too early to count some of these guys out. Just because they do not show up early does not mean they do not show up at all. What if they are like Gourde and do not become anything good until they are 26 years old? That is probably a special case, but you can not count out an 18 year old playing on a crap OHL team, and guys like Timashov, Bracco and Brooks are coming up nicely as well.

Besides, we do not need game breakers anyways. Guys like Bracco, Timashov and Brooks look like they will be solid depth players at least right now, and guys like Bracco still have top 6 upside. We just had to bring him up a bit slower.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I'm always envious of organizations that can find a late gem like Point (and Cirelli to a lesser extent). Would be very helpful if we could have some of our later round picks develop like that.

I suppose Johnsson and Brown have to a lesser extent. Point is high end.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

I see Timashov, Brooks playing in the NHL in a couple years, dunno if it's with the Leafs. I liked Dzierkals, he might long shot along with Bracco

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think it is too early to count some of these guys out. Just because they do not show up early does not mean they do not show up at all. What if they are like Gourde and do not become anything good until they are 26 years old? That is probably a special case, but you can not count out an 18 year old playing on a crap OHL team, and guys like Timashov, Bracco and Brooks are coming up nicely as well.

Besides, we do not need game breakers anyways. Guys like Bracco, Timashov and Brooks look like they will be solid depth players at least right now, and guys like Bracco still have top 6 upside. We just had to bring him up a bit slower.

I'm not critical of the results. Just a snap shot in progress. I like their strategy of taking these players. But I am hoping we unearth a Sebastian Aho or a Brayden Point. You think you don't need more gamebreakers, but you always do!

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
SDA is just developing, doing his drills every day, to become good. It takes a ton of practice, so we'll see how he looks next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->