WJC: SemiFinal Predictions

Who will win on Wednesday? Please choose 2 and post who you think will win...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Have not been impressed with Sweden at all this tournament. Lindblom and Carlsson have been dragging them along.

Will be fading them against the Czechs.

The two gold medal teams at the U18 level coached by Hävelid both looked terrible before the semifinals. I have a strong feeling this team hasn’t peaked yet either. If they go in as underdogs they will win for sure.

Reactions: Czechboy

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
I really hope to see a final between the Czechs and Canada.
Bedard, Roy and Stankoven against Jiricek, Svozil, Spacek, Sale and Kulich would be awesome to witness.

Last edited:

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
not suprising tbh, Czechia looked like the strongest team in the tournament so far, even stronger than Canada and USA.
Czechia may even be better than Czech Republic from what I've seen.

Well Sweden will best the Czechs obviously. Just stop giving away goals like last time and the Czhech will be an easy win. Easier than Finland. Canada pooped their pants against Slovakia and honestly they are the weakest of the remaining teams. I think USA which isn’t very good to be honest beats Canada. So Sweden will win the tournament. It’s a bit sad it’s because of the overall low quality of opposition. I mean we are basically fielding our B team. We shouldn’t win but what of the remaining teams can realistically best us? None.
Ok Mr. HatesczechHatesczechius

• Haha

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
He has kind of been running the whole 400m by himself and is in the lead by a good amount so far.
He’s been running his 100m so damn well it almost seems like it doesn’t matter what the other three runners are doing.

But again, he’s only able to do what he can in that 100m. It doesn’t matter if he puts up a 6 second time if the rest of the legs are running north of 11.5s.

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
I'm going with Czechia and USA.
Bedard obviously has a chance to steal it, but the States have a much more well rounded team.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Obviously cheering for Canada, but I don't believe we will be able to match the USA this time around. Our defensive game is just not good enough, and our goaltending has improved but doesn't make me feel confident that he can steal a game. Czechia looks like a team on a mission. I think it'll be a USA-Czechia final this year.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Well Sweden will best the Czechs obviously. Just stop giving away goals like last time and the Czhech will be an easy win. Easier than Finland. Canada pooped their pants against Slovakia and honestly they are the weakest of the remaining teams. I think USA which isn’t very good to be honest beats Canada. So Sweden will win the tournament. It’s a bit sad it’s because of the overall low quality of opposition. I mean we are basically fielding our B team. We shouldn’t win but what of the remaining teams can realistically best us? None.
Sweden is hands down the weakest of the 4 teams. Canada, usa and the Czech’s are clearly ahead of them, and it’s not particularly close. A lot of posters don’t seem able to identify talent and good teams, this Canada team is flat out outstanding, and having tough, close games against other very good teams in Czech and Slovakia is not an indictment against Canada, but at how good those teams are. USA also has a very strong team, how can you say otherwise? Their top line is as good as any line they’ve ever assembled in this tournament and then have quality players littered throughout the lineup

Reactions: Statsy

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
I'm going with Czechia and USA.
Bedard obviously has a chance to steal it, but the States have a much more well rounded team.
No, they don’t at all. They’re well rounded, but Canada has the deeper team. This is primarily due to the media doing nothing but talking about Bedard, Bedard and more Bedard, who clearly deserves it but it creates the impression it’s a shallow team, which we’ve seen it isn’t. Stankoven has been fantastic, the trio of Wright-Othmann and Guenther have been very good but over shadowed by a once in a lifetime performance by Bedard, Gaucher is the best 3C in this tourney and then guys like Roy, Ostapchuk, Schaefer have done very well in complimentary role. I do think the D was overwhelmed at times with Slovakia’s energy and physicality, but I expect that group to bounce back, and outside of the Czech’s maybe, Canada’s D has been the best. Too many people discounting Canada based on last nights game despite Slovakia having all world goaltending and also playing a great game themselves, and they also have some world class players.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Sweden is hands down the weakest of the 4 teams. Canada, usa and the Czech’s are clearly ahead of them, and it’s not particularly close. A lot of posters don’t seem able to identify talent and good teams, this Canada team is flat out outstanding, and having tough, close games against other very good teams in Czech and Slovakia is not an indictment against Canada, but at how good those teams are. USA also has a very strong team, how can you say otherwise? Their top line is as good as any line they’ve ever assembled in this tournament and then have quality players littered throughout the lineup
It should be said that Sweden did not have Leo Carlsson and Lysell on the ice when they beat Czechia in round robin. Just look at the names i dont think Czechia is stronger, but they have surely been better on the ice so far. But you never know with semifinals. Hävelids teams have always looked stronger in semifinals and onward. With him we won 2 gold and 1 bronze in 4 years in U18 WJC. And Lindblom is a demon.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
It should be said that Sweden did not have Leo Carlsson and Lysell on the ice when they beat Czechia in round robin. Just look at the names i dont think Czechia is stronger, but they have surely been better on the ice so far. But you never know with semifinals. Hävelids teams have always looked stronger in semifinals and onward. With him we won 2 gold and 1 bronze in 4 years in U18 WJC. And Lindblom is a demon.
Yeah that’s true and fair, two very good players that likely make a difference. I just think Czechia has arguably the best D core in the tournament as well as a cohesive and well rounded group of forwards, and Suchanek is very strong and dependable in net. They seem to play a very structured and strong 5 man game and are playing with an absurd amount of confidence. I don’t mean sweden isn’t good, they clearly are and could definitely win against anyone on any given day, I just think of the 4 teams left, they’re 4 right now for me. But I won’t be shocked if they beat czechia tomoeeow

Reactions: Eye of Ra

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
No, they don’t at all. They’re well rounded, but Canada has the deeper team. This is primarily due to the media doing nothing but talking about Bedard, Bedard and more Bedard, who clearly deserves it but it creates the impression it’s a shallow team, which we’ve seen it isn’t. Stankoven has been fantastic, the trio of Wright-Othmann and Guenther have been very good but over shadowed by a once in a lifetime performance by Bedard, Gaucher is the best 3C in this tourney and then guys like Roy, Ostapchuk, Schaefer have done very well in complimentary role. I do think the D was overwhelmed at times with Slovakia’s energy and physicality, but I expect that group to bounce back, and outside of the Czech’s maybe, Canada’s D has been the best. Too many people discounting Canada based on last nights game despite Slovakia having all world goaltending and also playing a great game themselves, and they also have some world class players.
I don't know where people are getting the idea that Canada's team is not deep or talented. I guess they're the same people who don't know that Slovakia beat the U.S. handily - which is no easy task.

Slovakia is a good team who forechecked Canada into the ice and almost won. If people don't think Canada can bounce back and have a great game in the semis, then they don't know hockey.

Canada is the most talented team and winning 2 more games is more than possible.

These are the odds to win the World Juniors - as per Oddshark.
It's hard to read but the current odds are in the center column.
In other words, the odds makers think Canada is going to win.
If you know otherwise, put some money down.

Odds To Win The 2023 World Juniors
TeamCurrent OddsOpening Odds
Canada-150-110
USA+290+350
Sweden+550+650
Czechia+700+1600

Last edited:

Postulates

Jun 7, 2022
I don't know where people are getting the idea that Canada's team is not deep or talented. I guess they're the same people who don't know that Slovakia beat the U.S. handily - which is no easy task.

Slovakia is a good team who forechecked Canada into the ice and almost won. If people don't think Canada can bounce back and have a great game in the semis, then they don't know hockey.

Canada is the most talented team and winning 2 more games is more than possible.

Canada-150-110
USA+290+350
Sweden+550+650
Czechia+700+1600
Slovokia beat a Mbereko starting USA team which is not hard

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver

Canada-150-110
USA+290+350
Sweden+550+650
Czechia+700+1600
It's absolutely crazy that they have Sweden above Czechia. Like, what are they basing that on?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It's absolutely crazy that they have Sweden above Czechia. Like, what are they basing that on?
People scoff at odds makers but they usually know what they are doing - odds makers tend to hire the best and the brightest for that job - otherwise they go broke.

As for your question : I can't explain why Sweden is ahead of Czechia.

I can't remember how I voted in my poll (I might have tried a "reverse jinx") but I believe it will be a Canada - Sweden final.

Last edited:

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
CAN: 5 vs USA: 4 (OT)

1st PERIOD
Connor Bedard
Logan Cooley
Cutter Gauthier
Dylan Guenther

2nd PERIOD
Brennan Othmann
Connor Bedard (2)