WJC: SemiFinal Predictions

Who will win on Wednesday? Please choose 2 and post who you think will win...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It's absolutely crazy that they have Sweden above Czechia. Like, what are they basing that on?

It doesn't look crazy to me at all.

Sweden literally just beat the Czechs last week. They almost always do.

They have the much deeper roster. They have a lot of disappointing players but the flip side of that is that they have a lot of players who might take a big step up at any time.

prongertheman9

May 30, 2010
Can you post the odds?
A0A36744-BC52-4D68-800C-A62726B32F72.jpeg

Sweden has just taken money lol and become slight favs. Czechia was -135 earlier and I suspect they will close as the favourite.

Reactions: ORRFForever

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Sweden really likes to be underdogs, its where they come together and fight. That game will be closer than many think.

Team Canada seems to have just som few players. Canada seems to think they are superior to the rest of the world, but the hockey woeld is bigger than that. Even Slovakia is a good team with their own great talents.

Canada could win against USA, but then they need to play good defence as well.

Reactions: Brunkmeister

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Czechia has played better this tournament and has a good chance at advancing to the finals, and it would be well deserved if they did.

As for Sweden, they usually has Czechias numbers on this level and beat them earlier in this tournament. Also, despite not playing all too well in the tournament they are in the top 4 which is a sign of strength - they can play a lot better than they have. and have lots of player who can and should step it up a notch.

Lekkerimäki, Lysell, Östlund all could be a lot better than they have.

Could be a very close and tight game

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
I don't know where people are getting the idea that Canada's team is not deep or talented. I guess they're the same people who don't know that Slovakia beat the U.S. handily - which is no easy task.

Slovakia is a good team who forechecked Canada into the ice and almost won. If people don't think Canada can bounce back and have a great game in the semis, then they don't know hockey.

Canada is the most talented team and winning 2 more games is more than possible.

These are the odds to win the World Juniors - as per Oddshark.
It's hard to read but the current odds are in the center column.
In other words, the odds makers think Canada is going to win.
If you know otherwise, put some money down.

Odds To Win The 2023 World Juniors
TeamCurrent OddsOpening Odds
Canada-150-110
USA+290+350
Sweden+550+650
Czechia+700+1600
This. I will root hard forUS but….

Reactions: YoungHabs

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Reading between the lines the majority of the posters in this thread so far seems to expect a blowout for Czechia. That is kind of the same thing.
I couldn't agree more. Sweden has a 20 year sample of beating us and they did it last week! We are on a very small run that is aesthetically pleasing. This particular team is likeable it seems BUT

Sweden goalie is better (and I love Suchanek)
Sweden forwards are better
Czech D is better here (I've never typed this before).
ALL the history is Sweden.. 20 years is no fluke and they just beat Finland!

Reactions: Brunkmeister

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
The only advantage the czechs have is that it is hard to beat a team twice in the same tournament. That's it.. voodoo is our only edge.lol

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
On HF... US is comfortably flying under the radar. I can't make a prediction.. I think the game will be sensational tonight. Just not sure if I'll be watching with drunken happy tears or drunken crying ones.lol.

My only Canada concern is that they don't seem to like a heavy forechexk and despite a very deep team they defer to Bedard. If US can contain him, they have a great shot.

I say that as an oil fan where our forwards routinely get in a give it to McDrai gear and it backfires over and over despite McDrai being elite.

I say two 4-3 games incoming.

• Haha

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
How so ? better team on paper and yes the Slovakia game was close but we were still the better team just very unlucky and you guys lost to them
not deep like America, suspect defense and goalie. USA gunna put too much pressure on em

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think either match-up is up for grabs. For the U.S. my keys are:

* The Bedard line (or specifically Bedard himself) is going to have to be contained somehow. Two goals or less for that line would be a win IMO
* The defense is going to have to be disciplined. I don't want to rein them in too much as the transition game is a strength of this team but they can't go full pond hockey
* Augustine will need to stand tall in net. He's going to have some high danger shots against

I will say this: The top U.S. line is very good with a ton of talent. Cooley isn't Bedard but he's top tier and his linemates support him well. I think they will be a handful especially with their d weaving in.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Czechia! Czechia! Czechia! The Kari Jalonen-effect in full mode. Men won bronze, U20 & U18 teams lost the bronze medal game and women's team also won bronze. Now Czechia is going for a gold, U20 team starts the trend and time will tell does the other teams follow.

1672852671898.png

"Im not saying that the credit goes to Finland.............. But the credit goes to Finland"

• Haha
Reactions: Czechboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad