WJC: SemiFinal Predictions

Who will win on Wednesday? Please choose 2 and post who you think will win...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Fairly unimpressed with Canada outside of a certain player, given their enormously high standards, but still think they win. Tight game between Sweden a d the Czechs but I believe in a Czech win.
A "certain player" (or two)... Stankoven and a few others have been great and given their ALL.

Wright needs to step up if we are going to make it to the GMG. Same with Fantilli. So many players are NOT pulling their weight.

Canada-Sweden final coming with very usual result.
Hope you're right.

Last night's game could very well be a blessing for Canada. We went to the brink, looked over and dipped our toe into the empty cold air, yet somehow won. That can't be a bad thing.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
USA - Canada is gonna be a track meet I think. Homer vote USA but honestly it's a coinflip.

If the swedes don't find their legs, they're going to get blown out by the Czechs.

Reactions: 95snipes

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
Well Sweden will best the Czechs obviously. Just stop giving away goals like last time and the Czhech will be an easy win. Easier than Finland. Canada pooped their pants against Slovakia and honestly they are the weakest of the remaining teams. I think USA which isn’t very good to be honest beats Canada. So Sweden will win the tournament. It’s a bit sad it’s because of the overall low quality of opposition. I mean we are basically fielding our B team. We shouldn’t win but what of the remaining teams can realistically best us? None.
We have the opposite Eye of Ra.

Czechia-Canada

• Haha
Reactions: Pieck

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Canada is always a tough game. I expect the US to lose.
Unless Sweden suddenly wakes up I expect Czechia to have a smooth victory.

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
Of the teams remaining, a Sweden gold medal would be most surprising. People are discounting Canada based on the result last night, yet not considering that A) Canada dominated that game and Gajan stood on his head, and B) the US lost in regulation to that very same Slovak team.

Canada holds on in a thriller tomorrow (knock on wood), meets Czechia in the final (though wouldn't be surprised at a Sweden win but would be stunned if they won Gold).

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Canada gets revenge for the 2021 GMG loss against USA. Czechs prove to the world they are still a top contender in hockey. Canada 5 USA 3. Czech 3 Sweden 2.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Canada should have steamrolled but it’s been the Bedard show and little else. The Othmann-Wright-Guenther line should have been up there for best in the tournament but those guys pretty much only score when Bedard is out there. The depth that was so promising hasn’t shown much offence. Clarke and Zellweger should have been competing for top defenseman in the tournament but have been pretty trash.

All told, I cannot honestly vote for Canada over the US.

Reactions: 95snipes

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Canada should have steamrolled but it’s been the Bedard show and little else. The Othmann-Wright-Guenther line should have been up there for best in the tournament but those guys pretty much only score when Bedard is out there. The depth that was so promising hasn’t shown much offence. Clarke and Zellweger should have been competing for top defenseman in the tournament but have been pretty trash.

All told, I cannot honestly vote for Canada over the US.
TBH, I think Canada will win because :

* Nothing worked against Slovakia. Canada is due for a game where everything works.
* As Cheryl Pounder said, the Slovakian game will help this team mesh.
* The U.S. has gotten the better of us for almost a decade. That is bound to change - all streaks come to an end.
* It is the semi's, not the GMG. (smile)
* Canada is the better team.
* Bedard.

I am going to have an expensive sushi dinner, tonight, to celebrate last night's win. I am going to eat until I wobble out. :)

Last edited:

Postulates

Jun 7, 2022
Well Sweden will best the Czechs obviously. Just stop giving away goals like last time and the Czhech will be an easy win. Easier than Finland. Canada pooped their pants against Slovakia and honestly they are the weakest of the remaining teams. I think USA which isn’t very good to be honest beats Canada. So Sweden will win the tournament. It’s a bit sad it’s because of the overall low quality of opposition. I mean we are basically fielding our B team. We shouldn’t win but what of the remaining teams can realistically best us? None.
USA pretty easily can

NewHampshire

Mar 25, 2015
The US/Canada game is a complete coin flip for me - nothing would surprise me, including relatively easy wins for either side and anything in between. Ill take the US because I'm rooting for the US...

In the other semi, I'll take Sweden because its unexpected - and that's what seems to happen in this tournament, perhaps this year even more than most. The Czech's had a great opening win over Canada, undoubtedly, but have lost to Sweden and beaten Austria, Germany and Switzerland in their subsequent four games. They've looked good doing it, but it hasn't exactly been a string of elite wins...

And I'll take the US/Canada loser to win the Bronze - sorry, Czechia, only because (sometimes) life isn't exactly fair. So give me USA/Sweden/Canada/Czechia, but if it ends up Czechia/Canada/Sweden/USA (or any other combination of finishes) you won't find me the least bit surprised. Four good teams, should be fun...

Reactions: Czechboy

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Wash, rinse, repeat. You guys know USA always takes out Canada on their home ice. Then they take out the Czechs. Yes, I live about 6 miles from USA arena. But I root for the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad