Selke finalists - Bergeron, Kopitar, Toews

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Not that they don't deserve it, but this award is all about reputation these days.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
I keep hoping Turris gets some looks one day...interesting that two of the finalists are on non-playoff teams as well. Not really surprised and expecting Bergeron to nab it, he's basically the new Guy Carbonneau these days.

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
Kopitar was a super easy nominee and I don't know what people are complaining about here. The issue with the Kings this year wasn't his defense.

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
Care to explain why low-scoring players are never nominated then?
Guys like Kopitar, Toews and Bergeron, and any other forward on such a level, is playing so many minutes and dominating the play so much that they're bound to put up good offensive numbers. I would question a 3rd liner's claim to the award because at this point an elite defensive forward won't be on a team's third line.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
They are. Mike Peca won a Selke with 49 points, Draper won a Selke with 40 points.

They WERE... There isn't any point to considering NHL media and landscapes scenarios of the past relevant. Based on the NHL post lockout year there hasn't been a lower pt scoring player getting the award.

I'll give ya, even in the 2001 range John Madden or some of the others still got the award with only decent offense but that's not where the NHLs mindset is anymore.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
They WERE... There isn't any point to considering NHL media and landscapes scenarios of the past relevant. Based on the NHL post lockout year there hasn't been a lower pt scoring player getting the award.

I'll give ya, even in the 2001 range John Madden or some of the others still got the award with only decent offense but that's not where the NHLs mindset is anymore.

Hence the award is BS now. If they want to give some consideration to the offensive numbers, then they should nominate Pavel Datsyuk, because he's arguably the best 2 way forward in the game.
Selke caliber defense while scoring a point per game.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
What do you know? It's the same three guys as last year, none of whom are truly the best defensive forward in the league

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007

Putting up 49 points is pretty good offensive production. There have been a lot of guys who did well in voting recently with points in the low 50's. It's also important to know that Draper's 40 points was a big time career year for him offensively and he never did that well in Selke voting before or after.

John Madden literally finished 2nd in voting in 07-08 with only decent offense.

Pahlsson very narrowly lost the award (420 to 405 voting points) in 07 with 8 goals and 26 points in a high scoring year. That would've been the lowest point total to ever win it. Pandolfo finished third with 27 points.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Putting up 49 points is pretty good offensive production. There have been a lot of guys who did well in voting recently with points in the low 50's. It's also important to know that Draper's 40 points was a big time career year for him offensively and he never did that well in Selke voting before or after.

John Madden literally finished 2nd in voting in 07-08 with only decent offense.

Pahlsson very narrowly lost the award (420 to 405 voting points) in 07 with 8 goals and 26 points in a high scoring year. That would've been the lowest point total to ever win it. Pandolfo finished third with 27 points.

Sorry, 40-50 points is not what I consider great production.
Some of the best Selke wins included Fedorov with 120 points, Datsyuk's back-to-back Selkes with 97 points in both seasons.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Because no one cares about it.

Just a trophy for 2nd rate players who never win any real trophies.

I wish I could give you a trophy, sir.... for dumbest post I have ever read on hfboards.

I'll leave you to decide whether it's a second rate award or not. :laugh:

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Because no one cares about it.

Just a trophy for 2nd rate players who never win any real trophies.
I think it's a second tier trophy (first tier being the Hart/Lindsay/Art Ross), along with the Richard, but it's still a HUGE honour to be win the Selke. Being voted the best defensive forward in the league is nothing to shake a stick at.

And none of the players up for the award this season are "second rate". They may not be the best-of-the-best (ala Crosby/OV/Malkin) but they are extremely valuable players, especially come playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad