Selke finalists - Bergeron, Kopitar, Toews

Bathcat

Slavin is mediocre
Jul 26, 2010
Oakland
And yes, reputation award. Considering how the criteria for winners changes over time, I give this award barely more thought than the Lady Byng and the Mark Messier Leadership award.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
There are so many players to choose from and those are the 3 that end up being the finalists? Bergeron should win this AINEC.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Kopitar shouldn't be here this year but he should have won it last year, easily. But they screwed that up too.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Toews will win because he's such a beauty beast.

He should get a voluntary restriction order from all tanning beds in the wider Chicago area, though.

MilanKraft*

Sportsnet took all of 20 seconds to announce it...and that was it...I would have expected more hype about a NHL award...

Because no one cares about it.

Just a trophy for 2nd rate players who never win any real trophies.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Now this is just weak... It's like these guys aren't even trying, and just recycle the ballot every year. Guys like Palat, Pacioretty, Johnson, Pavelski, and a few other guys deserve some love. Not saying any of those guys should win, as I think it's Bergeron's yet again, but the other guys seem like total cop out choices. Toews would be in my top 5, but quite honestly, I think it should be:

1. Bergeron
2. Palat
3. Any of the other guys I mentioned, Toews, Datysuk or Zetterberg. If I had to choose, I'd pick one of Pacioretty, Johnson or Pavelski.

Kopitar there? Come on... And I really like Kopitar - I just don't think he deserves to be a finalist this year. Last year though, I'd have given him the trophy.

EDIT: Mark Stone as well. He wouldn't be a finalist in my mind, but in the coming years, it's definitely possible. He's an excellent young player.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Tonight's announcement is the Calder finalists. With 5 deserving players and only 3 spots for the finalists, I expect there to be a lot of rabble on here.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Part of that is the way the game has gone now though. Just about everyone's expected to play a two-way game and a lot of talented players are using the skills and hockey sense that makes them good offensively on the other side of the puck as well. And coaches go power vs. power a lot more instead of using pure shutdown lines.

The only players who worry about two-way play are the ones who can't score. The others worry about putting the puck in the net.

ThorntonFightClub*

Apr 21, 2015
Providence, RI
The only players who worry about two-way play are the ones who can't score. The others worry about putting the puck in the net.

Well that's just flat out wrong.

Toews - 7 straight 25g seasons
Hossa - 7x 30+, 3x 40+
Bergeron - multiple 30g and 70pt seasons
Krejci - 2x lead the playoffs in scoring
Pacioretty - 3x 30g
Kopitar - 6x 25+ goals

toewsintangibles

Leadership analyst
Dec 23, 2012
Lets see.. Toews 66 points, BErgeron 55p and Kopitar 64 points. Its gonna be close, but Toews wins by a hair

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Lets see.. Toews 66 points, BErgeron 55p and Kopitar 64 points. Its gonna be close, but Toews wins by a hair

Offensive production is completely disregarded for the Selke.
The Selke is awarded to the forward who "best excels at the defensive aspect of the game".

If scoring mattered, Datsyuk would've won all the Selkes of the past 10 years.

Church of Toews*

so i guess Crosby got robbed of a Selke after facing Boston in the ECF 2 years ago:laugh:

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
Offensive production is completely disregarded for the Selke.
The Selke is awarded to the forward who "best excels at the defensive aspect of the game".

If scoring mattered, Datsyuk would've won all the Selkes of the past 10 years.

Care to explain why low-scoring players are never nominated then?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad