Seidenberg boarding of Toews; DoPS review but no hearing; Toews status ???

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
I'm a Hawk fan and I don't think it was "dirty". There are often times a player takes a run at another and you know damn well the player knows what he's doing and that it's a dangerous play. This? Seindenberg ****ed up, but regardless of it's intent the NHL needs to penalize during and after the game to train these players to let up when they see numbers.

In this case Seidenberg had every opportunity to avoid the situation. He made a bad decision. It happens. I'm more mad about his comments then I am about the play. After he watched it he should have took responsibility and apologized. Not profusely, just in a casual I made a mistake type fashion. It looked obvious during the game that he knew he ****ed up on the play.

Man up and move on.

Exactly.

But I suppose if he did that then he wouldn't be following the tone that Julien set for everything always being a non-Bruin's fault and that would get him in trouble with his coach. Who is a joke.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
If you're referring to this hit, it wasn't.

I know it wasn't. But it's irrelevant if it was square to the back in this case. It can still be boarding if it's the back of the shoulder or whatever you want to call it. In fact that was a clear two minutes for boarding. The question is if it is worthy of anything further.

Under shanahan it def was, but I don't think it is suspendable any more. Didn't something similar happen to Shattenkirk a few weeks ago with nothing.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
THIS is the hit the NHL is trying to get rid of? Really?

I don't see that at all. Many players, Seidenberg included, routinely initiate contact in this manner in battles for the puck along the boards. Getting rid of being strong via suspensions is a ridiculous notion if you ask me. Injuries suck, ask the Bruins this year... but it's the nature of the beast with a physical sport like hockey. At least it isn't the NFL where 6 players are injured every game.

Any word on how Toews is doing? Or too early?

The type? Yes. A player elevating his hands to initiate contact to the numbers on a defenseless player near the boards? Yes. Will this hit ever be poster board material for the NHL's campaign on such change? Not a chance.

I agree that certain types of this contact happen routinely, to a degree. Toews would have been much safer if he were RIGH ALONG the boards as his body wouldn't have had the chance to fall forward, driving his head into the boards. Again, Toews was clearly looking to play a puck at his feet (he had to look to identify it's position, it's not like he was looking down for several seconds), his back was exposed, and Seidenberg delivered the hit. It was a case of the defender having poor recognition of the play at hand.

Players shouldn't be getting checked in the back period (though it happens all the time, especially near the net). But when a player is within striking distance of the boards, in an awkward position, the defender needs to have the onus. Seidenberg didn't and I hope he gets suspended.

The NFL has the same issue with idiots tackling with the crown of the helmets. If they would have trained them long ago with harsher penalties and suspensions it wouldn't be near the problem that it is today.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I always laugh at the "he didn't do it on purpose" comments. Yeah, no ****. The Bruins didn't mean to blow the Cup in 17 seconds, but damn, they did!

You have to lower yourself to that? :laugh:

Actually, I was saying the result was unintentional (Toews injured awkwardly)... the play was obviously pretty darn intentional as Seidenberg would be a fool to allow Toews to get the puck so easily with no resistance. It was a common play by Seidenberg, Toews either didn't expect it or wasn't strong enough to keep his balance. Penalty warranted for the result, and anything more is just silly. I doubt there will be anything coming of this and we will get the usual "the NHL loves the Bruins" comments as usual.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
It was obvious during the game he felt bad about the injury, not the play. I suppose next time Seidenberg should simply allow Toews to get the puck and score, right? The NHL needs more offense and all?

It was a boarding/check to the back. There are several other ways to make a play without initiating that kind of contact.

Just to show that I'm fair, Seabrook is one of the worst offenders in the league when it comes to crosschecks to the back near the net. A penalty, which by the way, doesn't get called nearly enough.

I like hitting. Everyone does. But you know what? I'd rather watch a game with the Toews, Bergeron's, and Crosby's of the world instead of them being out with concussions all the time.

Hockey is a high contact sport. It always will be. But that hit was dangerous, unnecessary, and added NOTHING to the game. If the league doesn't keep training it's players, and showing that there are consequences, it's only going to get worse. The speed, strength, and size of the players is necessitating these rules.

Nothingman*

You have to lower yourself to that? :laugh:

Actually, I was saying the result was unintentional (Toews injured awkwardly)... the play was obviously pretty darn intentional as Seidenberg would be a fool to allow Toews to get the puck so easily with no resistance. It was a common play by Seidenberg, Toews either didn't expect it or wasn't strong enough to keep his balance. Penalty warranted for the result, and anything more is just silly. I doubt there will be anything coming of this and we will get the usual "the NHL loves the Bruins" comments as usual.

Do you think the option that Seids took was the ONLY option for the play what was taking place? No. It was the one he chose to make. It was a poor, unintentional, wreckless decision. And those often times end up with a game or two off. Because they are trying to get players to not make such wreckless decisions/plays. He doesn't have a history may be his saving grace. But his comment after the game was very unapologetic and douchey. He should have been a bit more realistic and humble.

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
Disgustingly reckless and attempt to injure. [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
In my opinion, there's a lot wrong that happened here, but very little of it had to do with the hit.

1) Hit seems fairly clean to me. I wouldn't wish what happened to Toews on anyone, but it's hockey. There is always the potential for nasty stuff to happen. Seidenberg did what he could. The boarding penalty is right. The supplementary discipline should be nil. It's not malicious. Seidenberg has no pattern of this kind of stuff, and probably doesn't intend to start such a pattern.

2) Both coaches were terrible. Clode, shut up. This isn't the time for "keep your head up". What's next, telling cancer patients that they shouldn't have smoked so much? And as for Quenneville - I don't care if it's an early regular season game, or the 7th game of the Stanley Cup Finals. You don't ever put a player in when he takes a hit like that. Ever. You give him the 15 minute test in the "quiet room". This isn't a finger sprain that you can Taylor Swift your way through. This is head and neck stuff. Athletes are literally KILLING themselves because of this. Remember Dave Duerson? Junior Seau? Both got severe depression from post-concussion syndrome. Both shot themselves in the CHEST. Not because it was less painful than the head - they wanted to preserve their brains for study of PCS.

3) Boston fans. Yes, I'll admit that "we" screwed the pooch on this one. I was there at the game, and I did think they were booing Toews. Maybe most were booing the penalty call - which was the right call, so that's lame too. And maybe I'm misconstruing it, but it did feel like it was a boo at Toews - especially since it started before the ref came to center ice. Perhaps they were booing out of frustration (2 points in 10 does that to you), but that's no excuse. And no, I didn't boo. (At least, not that time.)

Anytime someone's hurt on the ice like that, DON'T BOO. It sucks. There's nothing wrong with taking a half second to say to yourself, "How do I think other reasonable people are going to interpret my reaction?" I don't care if it's Matt Cooke. DON'T BOO. That's not what a hockey fan should be. Even players give stick taps to opponents who are carted off the ice after a big hit. Yes, Toews didn't need to be carted off the ice, but cheering for injuries is horrid.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I can't believe this is getting reviewed after the other things let go this season. The only thing that should be reviewed is the Blackhawks concussion protocol.

Faax

Mar 12, 2013
I hate the bruins but don't think that was a malicious play by seidenberg. He was trying to beat him to the puck and was facing toews side as he was about to hit him, then toews turned towards the boards.

hopefully toews is ok, the impact on his head looked bad

Faax

Mar 12, 2013
No that was also more of a **** happens play. Happened plenty of times before with no penalty or discipline. But carry on....

uh, no, not even close since the chara hit was clear intent to injure but this one was not

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
The play was a shove more than a hit and I dont think their was anything malicious about it. It was boarding and a penalty. Deservedly so.

However, Seidenberg squaking that it served Toews right for not keeping his head up is the dumbest thing he could have said. The league could suspend him now simply for being an idiot .

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
What?

Anyway... Claude Julien has weighed in that the injury was entirely the fault of Toews.

‏@ChrisKuc
Bruins coach Julien on Seidenberg's hit on Toews: "We need to start educating our players to protect themselves better." #Blackhawks

2013 SCF. Toews got his bell rung and instead of sending him to the quiet room he sat on the bench and didn't play again. After they won the Cup it was disclosed that he suffered a mild concussion.

It was irresponsible of the coaches and medical staff allow him to play again after the hit. IMO, this is what needs to be discussed rather than the quotes postgame and whether or not the bruins are dirty.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
2013 SCF. Toews got his bell rung and instead of sending him to the quiet room he sat on the bench and didn't play again. After they won the Cup it was disclosed that he suffered a mild concussion.

It was irresponsible of the coaches and medical staff allow him to play again after the hit.

Julien's comment about "educating our players" was not about Toews being back on the ice after the hit.

Julien was saying Toews reacted to the hit incorrectly in real time and caused his own injury on the ice.

eta:

Never mind. Figured out the chain of responding posts being about the concussion protocol. Got it.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
I was responding to the op's question of what? At the very beginning of the post.

Yeah that's me. And thanks. I just had lost track of the "What?" part of the discussion from 4 pages ago when you quoted the post in its entirety. Got it now.

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014
Anyway... Claude Julien has weighed in that the injury was entirely the fault of Toews.

‏@ChrisKuc
Bruins coach Julien on Seidenberg's hit on Toews: "We need to start educating our players to protect themselves better." #Blackhawks

Julien is a fricken idiot.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
The NHL Department of Player Safety reviewed a second period play from Thursday night’s 3-2 B’s loss to the Chicago Blackhawks at TD Garden where the German defenseman hit Chicago captain Jonathan Toews a few feet removed from the boards, and sent the Blackhawks pivot crashing head-first into the boards.

No final determination had been made as of Thursday night, but several league sources indicated to CSNNE.com that it didn’t appear supplemental discipline would be necessary in Seidenberg’s case.

That would be music to the ears of Seidenberg, who said he was trying to aim his body contact toward Toews’ right shoulder, and has a long history of being a clean, honest player that he’s like to keep intact through his hard-nosed career.

“I pride myself on being a clean player and a hard player to play against, so when I went in on that one on one battle there, I thought I saw his right shoulder,†said Seidenberg. “At the last second he might have turned…I don’t know. I didn’t really see the replay or anything. Obviously I never want to see a guy go into the boards like that.

“I would never want to hurt a guy. That’s the last thing on my mind. I like playing hard and winning my board batles, and that’s about it.â€

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad