Seidenberg boarding of Toews; DoPS review but no hearing; Toews status ???

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Regardless of whether you think this is a suspension or not (I don't really think it is, maybe a game), Julien's comments are pretty ignorant. No need to say anything like that, and it goes to show you the double standard he wants to be measured by.

Yeah, yeah, I'm a Habs fan, but come on. No need to blame Toews. It was reckless by Seidenberg

I don't see how it's a double standard.

I agree that it's a dumb thing to say, especially after that hit of all hits (when there have been instances of players turning at the last sec, etc), but I fail to see the double standard there. If that were to happen to a bruin and he cried about his guy getting hit then sure.

The one thing Claude does best is let his team know he has their backs. Regardless of if it is a dumb comment of not.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
If that "head up" stuff is his reaction to this, then I want Seidenberg to sit a game or at least get a fine because apparently he just doesn't get it.

Because blaming Toews for not having his head up makes it sound like Seidenberg was trying to hit him hard into the boards and what happened wasn't just a result of Toews falling awkwardly.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
I'm absolutely shocked that Bruins fans are defending this unnecessary and completely reckless play by Seidenberg. :sarcasm:

Terrible play definitely deserves a suspension and the idiotic remarks by both him and Julien just make things worse.

He saw numbers the entire time and still drove into his back. Just because he got some of his side too doesn't mean it wasn't a bad dirty hit.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
If that "head up" stuff is his reaction to this, then I want Seidenberg to sit a game or at least get a fine because apparently he just doesn't get it.

Because blaming Toews for not having his head up makes it sound like Seidenberg was trying to hit him hard into the boards and what happened wasn't just a result of Toews falling awkwardly.

Seidenberg should "get a game" because he understands he did nothing wrong. Right? :shakehead

Nothing wrong with the play itself, if anything it was a 2 minute minor and nothing more. It was awkward, not malicious or intentional. The end result isn't one anyone looks for, but nor is it one that warrants additional discipline.

I'm absolutely shocked that Bruins fans are defending this unnecessary and completely reckless play by Seidenberg. :sarcasm:

Terrible play definitely deserves a suspension and the idiotic remarks by both him and Julien just make things worse.

He saw numbers the entire time and still drove into his back. Just because he got some of his side too doesn't mean it wasn't a bad dirty hit.

A homer accusing others of being homers? Fascinating! ;)

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Still only worthy of a minor. He initiated contact an awkward distance from the boards, which only got compounded by the awkward way Toews struck the boards.

I can see a fine MAYBE. Shouldn't be a suspension though.

I disagree with the timing of claudes post game comments, although I don't necessarily think he is wrong (just wrong in using this scenario). I don't have a problem with anything Seidenberg said because he is exactly right. You have to brace for contact in those dirty parts of the ice, most defenseman aren't gonna let you skate in and grab the puck in a dangerous area unimpeded.

If the NHL wants to start coming down on the non malicious boarding calls (mostly a result of strength battles), then so be it. Those hits in awkward areas in relation to the boards are dangerous. They just better be damn consistent about it.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc 3m3 minutes ago
Seidenberg: "If you go through the middle you have to have your head up, right? It was just unfortunate how (Toews) went into the boards."
https://twitter.com/ChrisKuc/status/543263835499798528

Ridiculous comment. Toews is playing the puck which is at his feet. It was a bad hit and he should get suspended for it.

I don't think it was dirty, but that's exactly the kind of hit the NHL is trying to get rid of. Needs to be a 2-3 game suspension.

Nothingman*

Seidenberg should "get a game" because he understands he did nothing wrong. Right? :shakehead

Nothing wrong with the play itself, if anything it was a 2 minute minor and nothing more. It was awkward, not malicious or intentional. The end result isn't one anyone looks for, but nor is it one that warrants additional discipline.

That really has nothing to do with it. Players get suspended for doing things they don't mean regularly. That is the reason to give them a game so it doesn't become a habit or think that is cool. Please note I said I don't think it is suspension worthy a page or two back.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It looks like Seidenberg went in expecting some hard jockeying for the puck and caught Toews offguard. Really unfortunate result. The penalty seemed sufficient.

Given his concussion history how the hell did they let Toews keep playing before giving him a thorough checking out?

zac

Apr 29, 2009

It wasn't a strong hit and I don't think it was malicious, but Seidenberg had his hands/stick to the numbers, with Toews in an indefensible position, and he predictably fell awkwardly into the boards.

The NHL should levy the steep suspensions for malicious hits. While this isn't malicious it fits the VERY DEFINITION of what they are trying to curtail. Levying one game suspensions doesn't send much of a message. But a 2-3 game suspension does.

I don't care what player or team is involved, the league needs to be consistent. Also should have been a 5 minute major during the game.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Never change, main board, never change.

So much holier than thou ********, as if you guys haven't had players called for 2 minute boarding all year.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013

If he didn't understand he did something wrong after the 2-minute stay in the penalty box then maybe he needs another lesson?

Unintentional plays get penalized all the time when they are reckless. And if Seidenberg can't even acknowledge that what he did there was reckless that gives me little confidence he won't do the exact same thing the very next time... which is the whole point of DoPS punishments, right? To change player behavior for the next time?

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
It wasn't a strong hit and I don't think it was malicious, but Seidenberg had his hands/stick to the numbers, with Toews in an indefensible position, and he predictably fell awkwardly into the boards.

The NHL should levy the steep suspensions for malicious hits. While this isn't malicious it fits the VERY DEFINITION of what they are trying to curtail. Levying one game suspensions doesn't send much of a message. But a 2-3 game suspension does.

I don't care what player or team is involved, the league needs to be consistent. Also should have been a 5 minute major during the game.

THIS is the hit the NHL is trying to get rid of? Really?

I don't see that at all. Many players, Seidenberg included, routinely initiate contact in this manner in battles for the puck along the boards. Getting rid of being strong via suspensions is a ridiculous notion if you ask me. Injuries suck, ask the Bruins this year... but it's the nature of the beast with a physical sport like hockey. At least it isn't the NFL where 6 players are injured every game.

Any word on how Toews is doing? Or too early?

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
If he didn't understand he did something wrong after the 2-minute stay in the penalty box then maybe he needs another lesson?

Unintentional plays get penalized all the time when they are reckless. And if Seidenberg can't even acknowledge that what he did there was reckless that gives me little confidence he won't do the exact same thing the very next time... which is the whole point of DoPS punishments, right? To change player behavior for the next time?

It wasn't reckless. Why does what Seidenberg did need to be changed? Because the end result was an injury?

zac

Apr 29, 2009

I'm a Hawk fan and I don't think it was "dirty". There are often times a player takes a run at another and you know damn well the player knows what he's doing and that it's a dangerous play. This? Seindenberg ****ed up, but regardless of it's intent the NHL needs to penalize during and after the game to train these players to let up when they see numbers.

In this case Seidenberg had every opportunity to avoid the situation. He made a bad decision. It happens. I'm more mad about his comments then I am about the play. After he watched it he should have took responsibility and apologized. Not profusely, just in a casual I made a mistake type fashion. It looked obvious during the game that he knew he ****ed up on the play.

Man up and move on.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I'm a Hawk fan and I don't think it was "dirty". There are often times a player takes a run at another and you know damn well the player knows what he's doing and that it's a dangerous play. This? Seindenberg ****ed up, but regardless of it's intent the NHL needs to penalize during and after the game to train these players to let up when they see numbers.

In this case Seidenberg had every opportunity to avoid the situation. He made a bad decision. It happens. I'm more mad about his comments then I am about the play. After he watched it he should have took responsibility and apologized. Not profusely, just in a casual I made a mistake type fashion. It looked obvious during the game that he knew he ****ed up on the play.

Man up and move on.

It was obvious during the game he felt bad about the injury, not the play. I suppose next time Seidenberg should simply allow Toews to get the puck and score, right? The NHL needs more offense and all?

illpucks

May 26, 2011
2 games IMO will be the ruling. Dangerous play on a league star. Not allowed.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I always laugh at the "he didn't do it on purpose" comments. Yeah, no ****. The Bruins didn't mean to blow the Cup in 17 seconds, but damn, they did!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad