Seidenberg boarding of Toews; DoPS review but no hearing; Toews status ???

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Not a fan of Julien but he's right on this one imo. Unfortunate result but there was no bad intent at all and Seidenberg isn't a dirty player.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
PlayfulBountifulBeardedcollie.gif

y9iW9vs.gif

Shouldn't receive a suspension Seidenberg didn't hit Toews in the numbers and Seidenberg didn't drive Toews into the boards all Seidenberg did was was bump into Toews and used his arm to try to get Toews out of the way. It is unfortunate Toews lost his footing and hit the boards.

Technically, not in the numbers, but right in the number 9, and in the butt, which to me is pretty much the definition of behind.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
Mine too.

The awkward proximity to the boards resulted in the penalty, which I am more than fine with. But I wouldn't want Seidenberg to play it any differently (i.e. let one of the world's best have the puck uncontested in Gretzky's office)

Oddly, the awkward proximity of the boards is involved in boarding calls...

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
It wasn't really a body check, more like he was trying to out muscle him for the puck. The problem is he wasn't paying attention to how Toews was positioned and how far away he was from the boards. Not dirty, just lack of not paying attention. Had he looked up instead of focusing 100% on the puck, he would have noticed where Toews was and adjusted accordingly. JMO.

BTW I was looking at the hit on YT and came across this hit. Same exact spot from 4 years back.

Last edited:

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
2013 SCF. Toews got his bell rung and instead of sending him to the quiet room he sat on the bench and didn't play again. After they won the Cup it was disclosed that he suffered a mild concussion.

It was irresponsible of the coaches and medical staff allow him to play again after the hit. IMO, this is what needs to be discussed rather than the quotes postgame and whether or not the bruins are dirty.

Didn't the Bruins let Bergeron play with crippling injuries? Would you classify that as "irresponsible"?

Seidenberg outmuscled Toews, not a cheap shot, unfortunate outcome.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I think it deserves 2 games. I don't think it was a malicious hit by Seids, but when a guy is facing the boards about 5 or so feet away, you just cannot hit him from behind, it's way too dangerous.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Didn't the Bruins let Bergeron play with crippling injuries? Would you classify that as "irresponsible"?

Only because he shoved him from behind though. If they were side by side, then yes, different story and it's fair game. But you don't "out muscle" a player by throwing them into the boards from behind when their back is turned and that far away.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I think it deserves 2 games. I don't think it was a malicious hit by Seids, but when a guy is facing the boards about 5 or so feet away, you just cannot hit him from behind, it's way too dangerous.

Agree with this. Players need to pay more attention to their surrounds, both to make sure they are protecting themselves and not hitting someone vulnerable.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
unfortunate result but the hit looked clean. seidenberg was trying to gain position and outmuscled toews

surprised julien made such a blunt comment. there is definitely some truth to it and we do want players/coaches to speak their minds but it is still surprising and a bit ill-advised.

hope toews is okay. surprised a guy with his concussion history would be allowed to return to a no stake mid-december game.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
It's a bad result, but I don't know that I'd even call that a hit. It was just they were trying to establish position and Toews was not in a strong position and fell awkwardly. Sometimes these things happen and it's nobody's fault really, just an unfortunate result from a play that happens dozens of times a game. I'm of the opinion that you have supplemental discipline for dangerous plays, not unfortunate results which can happen in a game like hockey sometimes, this is not a dangerous play, like the play Ballard suffered such a frightening injury on the other day, it's just one of those things where you don't want to see things like that, but nobody's really in the wrong unless you want to blame the game of hockey itself for having boards and strong players trying to play hard.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Hopefully Toews is ok, he shouldnt have kept on playing after smashing his to the boards like that

Griffin6612

Jun 28, 2007
I find it unsettling that HFBoards has a prime chance to crucify the Bruins and the overall sentiment on this board is that the result was unfortunate but it wasn't dirty.

Turning over a new forest, HFBoards? :)

:laugh: I thought the same thing. Are we starting to see things..... objectively?

Nynja*

Seriously? They were booing the penalty call...

Bruins fans would never mock an injured player...
What were they chanting when Boychuk broke Mason Raymond's back? I believe it was "FLOPPER FLOPPER"?

Regardless, this play was worth 2 minutes for boarding, and nothing more. Unfortunate accident.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
:laugh:

Oh he bumped into Toews and it was totally unintentional and Toews just happened to go face first into the boards hard on his own and had to leave the game. Good grief the homerism on this board sometimes...

You even know the meaning of homerism ?
That's a duck fan commenting on a Bruins's player.:amazed:
Play wasn't that bad just the results. 2 minute penalty was fine.
Now we just have to wait for the NHL to spin the wheel to see what, if anything comes of this.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Sees nothing but numbers, 5 feet off the boards, injury, star. It's a suspension.

Principal point of contact is behin Toews right arm with secondary contact with his left leg into Toews butt, the GIfs make it look a lot less bad than it looks full speed

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/blues-gunnarsson-leaves-game-after-brutal-elbow/

Watch the link you get a clear view from at the 18 second mark. Gunnarsson hasn't played a second since that elbow. He's been on IR ever since with a concussion, the refs didn't call anything on the clear infraction. And it took player safety 2 full days before they decided to have a hearing. Meaning they probably were gonna let it go, but Gunnar's out with a concussion as a direct result of the incident. And all it resulted in was a pitiful $2,000 fine.

If they don't suspend Lee for a deliberate elbow to the head like that, I don't see them suspending Seidnenberg for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: BadNewsBlues

BigBlueReg

Dec 5, 2014
England
Not dirty but just enough to shake up Toews. Obviously the angle his head hits is an accident.

I'd say a small fine and maybe a lecture on not hitting guys so hard in that area. He has a history.

BruinsNeedaRussian

Nov 21, 2009
I think people are forgetting the fact you battle to the boards. There will always be contact made, but in this case Toews lost his footing. Had Seidenberg driven him into the boards directly, this would be worth supplementary discipline, but in this case it was just a bad incident that will always happen in this game unless you take away any contact.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

Any time Bergeron has been hit anywhere near his head he goes straight down the tunnel except for when he was stretchered out after the Jones hit.

He should have never been allowed to continue to play after the hit. No player who takes any contact to their head/neck should be allowed back on the ice.

spost

Oct 12, 2014
Toews was in a bad position and got pushed into the board. I'm not wanting a suspension, but a two-minute penalty is clearly warranted. I just don't understand how you could say that wasn't a penalty, but you're right, you have your opinion and I have mine

It's pretty easy to see why he thinks there was no penalty, since if it wasn't for the bad result of the play, it wouldn't have been a penalty.

It was a hockey play gone bad but a hockey play nevertheless . He did't drive him into the boards nor checked him any other reckless or vicious way.

It sucks that Toews got hurt but that's hockey, a contact sport. Alternative would be a no-hitting league....

FinnBruin

Aug 6, 2014
Germany
Good to see most Blackhawks fans are reasonable about this, props to them. Hope Toews isn't out for long.

Anyways, when Kreider's hit on Brodin didn't lead to a suspension I don't see how this, being a far less vicious hit, could. 2 minutes is the correct call.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad