Confirmed with Link: Seguin, Peverly and Button to Stars for Eriksson, J.Morrow R.Smith and Matt Fraser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
There has to be some value in this:

There Bruins just sent a brutally strong message to all their young players/prospects that if they don't act like professionals, they're done in Boston.

Spooner`s adamant stance on playing only center better lighten up a touch:sarcasm:

Kiddin, I`m sure if whomever went to him and said we got a NHL spot for ya, but it`s on the wing he`d just take it

SlimBrady

Mar 1, 2007
And looks like the slowest in the league ,

Ahaha then tell me why we traded our fastest player? And who would u sign for the top line that is fastter than seguin? This trade sets boston back if we dont add anyone else

NinthSpoke06

Nov 30, 2009
Watertown, MA
This trade is no ones fault but Tyler Seguin's.

He had it made here. 21 year old in a big city, on a fantastic young team with many guys his age, very laid back.

But he refused to put the work in. Refused to grow up. Refused to make the sacrifices needed to win the Stanley Cup in this league.

There is no denying his talent. But just the fact that he was out partying in the middle of the Stanley Cup playoffs is ****ing disgusting. I would have dumped him for nothing if I were the GM. Glad that didn't get out to the media.

That is unacceptable and just spitting in the face of your teammates, like Gregory Campbell who put their bodies on the line for a chance at the Cup.

I am NOT glad that he is traded. I am glad that we got Eriksson.

But if I were his teammate I wouldn't have been able to play with a guy who does that. All of these guys have dedicated their lives to hockey. Some of them haven't been able to skate by on just pure talent like Seguin has. So for them to sit by and watch him not put the work it must have had an affect on chemistry.

Ess_37

Aug 2, 2005
Edmonton, AB
People just need to keep in mind that even if Seguin breaks out and puts up 80 points (like Phil before him) that does not automatically make this a bad trade for the Bruins. The bottom line will be whether or not the Bruins continue to have success. Anyone want to bet against them right now?

I think this is the key here. I truly think that Seguin may well be a great offensive force in Dallas when he's allowed to play an offensive game that fits him well. With that, Julien's system might never have allowed him to do so. If Eriksson comes in and plays a solid two-way game and fits in with Julien's system (which Chiarelli is obviously a believer in) it's still a good trade. As the series with the Penguins show, the Bruins win as a team as opposed to one or two star players.

Last edited:

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I'm not so sure about that. I think Krug fills an essential need for the Bruins right now. Although I think Morrow is a good prospect, we at least have a better idea of what Krug is like as he's played against NHL talent in the playoffs. Morrow is still unproven. Once Morrow can produce what Krug has done so far at the NHL level, then you can reevaluate.

I think Bartkowski along with another forward prospect (Caron/kids from this trade) could potentially be on the move for a proven two-way third line RW.

I agree-I can see Bart going before I see them moving Krug.

I also don't see them pushing Morrow onto the Roster this year (unless he dazzles everyone at camp).

I see them putting him in Providence to adjust to and learn the system there and develop his game much like they did with Bart (and Bart's improvement IMO was remarkable).

I think chia is developing and stocking up on D because they take longer to develop.

I also am of the opinion that Chia may have a UFA or two in mind so he moved Pevs for the cap space. Just hope his target gets signed and it isn't a dud contract.

Kaoz*

Spooner`s adamant stance on playing only center better lighten up a touch:sarcasm:

Kiddin, I`m sure if whomever went to him and said we got a NHL spot for ya, but it`s on the wing he`d just take it

I honestly think this is the exact stance Seguin should have taken when coming here, but he wanted in the game so badly he just said he'd play wherever he had to.

And if the maturity issues are as much an issue as people are saying, someone in Boston FO ****ed up royally. If they didn't want Seguin they should have traded down and made themselves a mint, or at the very least once drafted and issues identified should have left him in junior to work that **** out.

Instead they developed a likely future star for another team.... again.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
This trade is no ones fault but Tyler Seguin's.

He had it made here. 21 year old in a big city, on a fantastic young team with many guys his age, very laid back.

But he refused to put the work in. Refused to grow up. Refused to make the sacrifices needed to win the Stanley Cup in this league.

There is no denying his talent. But just the fact that he was out partying in the middle of the Stanley Cup playoffs is ****ing disgusting. I would have dumped him for nothing if I were the GM. Glad that didn't get out to the media.

That is unacceptable and just spitting in the face of your teammates, like Gregory Campbell who put their bodies on the line for a chance at the Cup.

I am NOT glad that he is traded. I am glad that we got Eriksson.

But if I were his teammate I wouldn't have been able to play with a guy who does that. All of these guys have dedicated their lives to hockey. Some of them haven't been able to skate by on just pure talent like Seguin has. So for them to sit by and watch him not put the work it must have had an affect on chemistry.

Wonder if a GM would speak to the guys like Z/Bergy about how they feel about having a teammate like this??

Not saying the players call the shots but I have to think if a GM does speak to the vets in situations such as this that it would have to have an impact to a degree on decisions regarding that player?

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
If Chiarelli is going all in on the Chara/Bergeron era like some suggest, do you deal Hamilton as well? Would make sense.

Confound

Vindication
Oct 28, 2010
Maine
Trading Peverley away is a major win in this trade, as much as it sucks to lose Seguin.

Morrow is gonna be a stud, BOOK IT. Eriksson might end being the second best player in this return for us.

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Insanity... Not sure how I feel about this yet. I like Eriksson, and Morrow is definitely a great prospect. Don't know much about Smith and Fraser, but I do know I always felt Seguin would become Boston's first offensive superstar since... Marc Savard (with more goals).

Obviously that won't happen now, but I fully expect Seguin to go on and become that in Dallas. Don't see him bringing them any Cups though...

For me, this trade hinges on what the Bruins do with the Cap space they now find themselves rolling in...

So long Segs and Pevs... 2011 was great.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Insanity... Not sure how I feel about this yet. I like Eriksson, and Morrow is definitely a great prospect. Don't know much about Smith and Fraser, but I do know I always felt Seguin would become Boston's first offensive superstar since... Marc Savard (with more goals).

Obviously that won't happen now, but I fully expect Seguin to go on and become that in Dallas. Don't see him bringing them any Cups though...

For me, this trade hinges on what the Bruins do with the Cap space they now find themselves rolling in...

So long Segs and Pevs... 2011 was great.

Check out Fraser's numbers in the AHL. Ri-diculous.

http://theahl.com/stats/player.php?id=3643

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I agree-I can see Bart going before I see them moving Krug.

I also don't see them pushing Morrow onto the Roster this year (unless he dazzles everyone at camp).

I see them putting him in Providence to adjust to and learn the system there and develop his game much like they did with Bart (and Bart's improvement IMO was remarkable).

I think chia is developing and stocking up on D because they take longer to develop.

I also am of the opinion that Chia may have a UFA or two in mind so he moved Pevs for the cap space. Just hope his target gets signed and it isn't a dud contract.

Makes sense. Face it Morrow's numbers in the AHL don't scream out promote me. They were uninspiring at best. He probably needs at least another year down there, especially where the Bruins want players to learn their system

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
If Chiarelli is going all in on the Chara/Bergeron era like some suggest, do you deal Hamilton as well? Would make sense.

This isnt a move about going all in now...its a move about Tyler Seguin marching to his own beat and not falling in line. They arent going to put up with it and are better now and will be going forward unless Tyler really changes his ways.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
You hear this stuff about acting like a professional, but what are the stories and why do you only hear about them when the team decides to move on? This whole deal sounds too eerily similar to what we heard when they moved Kessel. He didn't put in the work, he didn't want to be defensively responsible, etc. The underlying theme here is that we've heard this routine before, and it was with the last purely offensive guy they had, and here it is yet again with Seguin. I don't think it's a coincidence that this is happening. I also think it's a huge mistake to expect all your players to be solid two way players, and expect everyone to be the same. It should be a mix of all sorts, and guys should know their roles. In this case, all they seem to want is the same mid tier guys. For a team that was already lacking elite offensive talent, it doesn't make much sense to me to trade him for a selke caliber type. I look at this deal, and they've gotten worse up front, IMO. Chia sold low, and devalued the player on his way out of town. Pretty common theme around here, and pretty disappointing.

To sum it all up, I wasn't against moving Seguin, but I expected a better return simply based on the rumors last week. Some of those names supposedly being offered were better returns, IMO. I like Eriksson too, but not as the centerpiece of a deal for their best asset.

BigBadBruin8

@rsox1221
Jul 31, 2005
Shrewsbury, MA
Michael Giardi ‏@MikeGiardi 1m

Bruins player just responded to my text, saying "I don't want to talk about Tyler. I'm excited about Loui." Also asked me abt FA chatter.

Michael Giardi ‏@MikeGiardi 1m

Same player said "I'd love Alfredsson here. Such a pro. And he's still got plenty of game." Fond of Clarkson too. #BruinsTalk

boston77

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
This is the stuff that upsets me. As soon as someone is traded out of town, the character assassination starts. Where was this when this happened? Where were these reports when Chiarelli made his comments about Seguin? Sounds like revisionist reporting to me.

When it comes down to the trade, I think this is more a transaction based around "fit". As we've seen Seguin develop in Julien's system, it was like trying to squeeze a square peg into a round hole. Eriksson is much more of a Julien player than Seguin is. I have no doubts that Seguin will thrive in Dallas BUT at the same time, the B's front office has build the organization around a team concept. Eriksson fits that the overall direction of the team than Seguin did.

Personally, I am not sure I am sold on the trade myself (I also don't dislike the trade either), but I do think that it's better to trade Seguin now rather than next year when his value could be lowered by continuing to play in a system that doesn't fit his skill set. Just my two cents.

IN my view players need to adapt to systems and not the other way round. Unless we are talking Gretzky, Orr or Lemieux you need to be a team player to succeed. It is a shame that Tyler was not mature enough to understand this. I have no doubt he will be a very good player in this league but Eriksson seems to me to be the type of player you can compete for a Cup with. With Bergy and Chara as leaders and a great goalie in Tuukka add in Iginla or Alfredsson and we have a chance at this again. Actually that line-up is better than the one that came 2 wins away from a Cup in my mind.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
This isnt a move about going all in now...its a move about Tyler Seguin marching to his own beat and not falling in line. They arent going to put up with it and are better now and will be going forward unless Tyler really changes his ways.

They said the same thing about the last elite offensive type as well. At what point does the line start to ring hollow? At what point do we as fans admit that they want a specific type of player and that elite offensive guys aren't what they covet?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Wait a second, now people are saying Seguin's off ice issues were serious and real and that he should be traded? LOL 2 days ago I was heckled for saying the same thing.

Gotta love this place.

We've always been allies with Eastasia.
We've always been at war with Eastasia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad