Confirmed with Link: Seguin, Peverly and Button to Stars for Eriksson, J.Morrow R.Smith and Matt Fraser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Might have worked out better for them if we didn't have Seguin battling in front of the net for the overtime goal.

yeah it only took him 7 full games and a talking to from Thornton and management before he made an impact on that series. But hey not everybody can carry the team offensively like your favorite player, David Krejci.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
This is the 2nd time Chia bends to the whims of the young studs and get's burned. Kessel, Seguin. Too much freebee NHL time and dough without having to earn it. Granted it's tough with a #5 and #2 overall because you cant put them in Providence but if he had concerns he should have gone shorter money and term until Seguin got his act together. Anyways, too late now.

This is a good mid term hockey deal for the B's. Addresses an area of need and we get a guy with some upside to add to the D depth. Dallas got the most talented player as well as a guy that will produce (Pevs). I don't love it, but don't hate it either. As always time will tell but Chia needs to start reigning in the checkbook on these guys he has concerns about.

Finally, I don't see why we couldn't have just done a compliance buyout on Pevs and gotten out from that one aside the fact JJ probably won't allow him to do it. There were (are) other ways to make space...

All the sudden (with the draft) we've goat a whole raft of Swedes on the roster / system now. Interesting...

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Wouldn't go that far, Krejci and Kessel were by far the two most dangerous players in that series. No one else comes close, Kessel did great in that series there's no denying that.

Wat?

He banged in a couple loose pucks. Horton, Lucic. Bergeron and Lupton were miles better in that series

Fredrik_71

Dec 24, 2007
Sweden
We'll see. Eriksson put up those numbers in Dallas, where a guy who left Boston after barely managing to score 18 goals the two previous years threw in 35. I wouldn't be so confident in Loui putting up anything close to what his average was in Dallas.

Again, this isn't about not trading Seguin. My issues is that the team sold low, IMO, and didn't get a decent enough return.

Eriksson had an absolute beast of WC this year and thus I do not think his lower numbers in Dallas was beacuse of his play but other factors. But all included it looks like a fair deal to both teams.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I won't argue that people saw what they wanted to see regarding Seguin. For many of us it was just wishful thinking, hoping he'd grow out of it. But can you honestly say that you can imagine Hamilton getting any complaints about character issues in the next few years? The kid seems super humble and super committed.

Like I said, it's fair to throw it in people's faces that they were wrong about Seguin, but I don't think Hamilton is the case I'd use to make an example out of b/c he really seems like a genuinely great kid.

It's funny. I just went back and did a quick search and dug up some old threads from Seguin's rookie year, and trust me A LOT of people here were calling him "humble" and a "character guy"..... including some of the people in this thread who are now claiming they traded Seguin because of his character.

So, while I'll agree with you that I haven't seen anything from Hamilton to suggest he's going to be a problem, the truth is we hardly every "see" it... until we see it.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
This is the 2nd time Chia bends to the whims of the young studs and get's burned. Kessel, Seguin. Too much freebee NHL time and dough without having to earn it. Granted it's tough with a #5 and #2 overall because you cant put them in Providence but if he had concerns he should have gone shorter money and term until Seguin got his act together. Anyways, too late now.

This is a good mid term hockey deal for the B's. Addresses an area of need and we get a guy with some upside to add to the D depth. Dallas got the most talented player as well as a guy that will produce (Pevs). I don't love it, but don't hate it either. As always time will tell but Chia needs to start reigning in the checkbook on these guys he has concerns about.

Finally, I don't see why we couldn't have just done a compliance buyout on Pevs and gotten out from that one aside the fact JJ probably won't allow him to do it. There were (are) other ways to make space...

All the sudden (with the draft) we've goat a whole raft of Swedes on the roster / system now. Interesting...

we just got at least 1 or 2 extra prospects out of Dallas by throwing in Peverley and you're arguing that we'd have been better off just buying him out?

boston77

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
They kinda gave the Bruins all they could handle in last years playoffs didn't they, with Phil Kessel being one of the most dangerous players on the ice?

First round series is always dangerous. The Leafs were hungry after so many years of failure and the B's displayed the Jekyl/Hyde characteristics of the regular season. When it was all said and done Boston used the poor start to come within 2 games of a Cup while the Leafs played the coulda/wouda/shoulda game.

Guaranteed Boston does not put themselves in that situation again....

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
I don't see how anyone could be sad to see seguin go after hearing he bailed on the team in Toronto.

Me neither.

Look, Seguin's got all the talent in the world, he's shown signs of it. But IMO he lacks hockey-IQ. He's flashy, especially in shootouts and odd man rushes, but how often does that happen in close games/playoffs?

I am not saying that just because he's gone now, look up some older threads and you will see that I was on board with the trade-talk. I think we got the right package back. LE is a great player and under contract for many years. What does Seguins young age matter? if he gets to where many believe he will be at some point, he's gonna be expensive and probably leave in 4-5 years via free agency, it's not a given he stays on your team thru his peak years.

Didn't think the trade would go through after Chias harsh comments on draft day, I was so wrong. But in the end, I like the deal, it's LE, prospects AND most likely another winger like Alfie/Clarkson...at least cap-space which is a valuable commodity in this NHL-world.

Kaoz*

yeah it only took him 7 full games and a talking to from Thornton and management before he made an impact on that series. But hey not everybody can carry the team offensively like your favorite player, David Krejci.

Too bad he stopped carrying them then eh?

Oh, and they definitely would have faired better if Horton and Seguin hadn't been there.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
The flaw in your chemistry argument Joe, is that this team, even with a supposed malcontent, just made it to the finals, and they already won a cup with him too. Adding some decent depth players and less upside in the skill department because they didn't like a 21 year old chasing tail is a very short sighted way to run a franchise, IMO.

Segs was a bit player in the 2011 championship and this year they didn't get it done, so I could just as easily say that if the chemistry was better, they would have won.

Also, not sure how much you have seen Eriksson (he has always been a fave of mine), but as others have said, Loui is far better than a "decent depth player". In addition, the $$$ savings will allow the B's to keep and hopefully add to "the core".

Confound

Vindication
Oct 28, 2010
Maine
Wat?

He banged in a couple loose pucks. Horton, Lucic. Bergeron and Lupton were miles better in that series

Are you kidding me?

That whole Bergeron line was pretty bad until game 7 against TOR.

That Krejci line carried us, Kessel was a lot more noticeable than Lucic and horton though.

Last edited by a moderator:

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
We've seen the trading of a quarter for a dime and couple of nickels before. Anytime you're trading quality for quantity, that means you've lost the deal.

And yet the team has had more success since trading Joe and Phil than they did with either of those players ... hmmmmm.

MarchandNoseBest

Oct 30, 2008
we just got at least 1 or 2 extra prospects out of Dallas by throwing in Peverley and you're arguing that we'd have been better off just buying him out?
I think it's more likely Chia forced Dallas to take Peverley as part of the trade. Still smart to not waste a buyout on him, but I don't buy that Peverley added value coming back to the Bruins in this deal at all.

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
Just a "what if?" question I want to submit to the rest of you...

If the Bruins go out in the first round to Toronto, does Seguin still get traded? I mean the whole premise of the deal was Seguin's poor play in the playoffs this season IMO. 7 games would have been such a small sample size as opposed to 22 games this season that I feel as though management would have looked at things differently and placed the blame somewhere else.

trudatman*

I think Seguin for Eriksson was a great trade for both teams. Peverley for prospects was pretty good for the Bruins, although Peverley has the skillset to turn his +/- problems around and the Bruins are hurting for some right wingers. at least now we'll be seeing a lot fewer posts around here mangling the dude's name. I wouldn't mind seeing Kelly traded to another team, even if it is just so I never have to see another mention of the "Peverly and Kelley" line.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
It's funny. I just went back and did a quick search and dug up some old threads from Seguin's rookie year, and trust me A LOT of people here were calling him "humble" and a "character guy"..... including some of the people in this thread who are now claiming they traded Seguin because of his character.

So, while I'll agree with you that I haven't seen anything from Hamilton to suggest he's going to be a problem, the truth is we hardly every "see" it... until we see it.

Well first of all who really cares what a bunch of people on this board were saying 3 years ago? People on this board do a lot of projecting. The reality is that nobody really knew what we were getting with Seguin at 18 other than what scouting reports said. By all accounts he *did* have a better commitment to conditioning and was more coachable than Kessel was at the same age so that's why a lot of people figured that even if Kessel ended up producing more points, we'd still be all set with Seguin b/c he'd be the better 2 way player. That is still not necessarily false, but at the time nobody could have really known what a brat Seguin apparently was. He started to show his colors about after the cup win and the rest is history I guess.

So i guess my point is that yeah, you're right, Dougie could very well suddenly start showing some of the same behavior but the vibe I get from him makes me really doubt it.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta

If the Bruins go out in the first round to Toronto, does Seguin still get traded? I mean the whole premise of the deal was Seguin's poor play in the playoffs this season IMO. 7 games would have been such a small sample size as opposed to 22 games this season that I feel as though management would have looked at things differently and placed the blame somewhere else.

If they lost I think there would have been even more changes than what we've seen already.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

I would have to say yes.

The fact that he rebounded and was arguably one of the Bruins 3 best forwards in the finals seems (playing exceptionally hard on both ends)to have done nothing to convince them to give him another chance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->