Confirmed with Link: Seguin, Peverly and Button to Stars for Eriksson, J.Morrow R.Smith and Matt Fraser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
You hear this stuff about acting like a professional, but what are the stories and why do you only hear about them when the team decides to move on? This whole deal sounds too eerily similar to what we heard when they moved Kessel. He didn't put in the work, he didn't want to be defensively responsible, etc. The underlying theme here is that we've heard this routine before, and it was with the last purely offensive guy they had, and here it is yet again with Seguin. I don't think it's a coincidence that this is happening. I also think it's a huge mistake to expect all your players to be solid two way players, and expect everyone to be the same. It should be a mix of all sorts, and guys should know their roles. In this case, all they seem to want is the same mid tier guys. For a team that was already lacking elite offensive talent, it doesn't make much sense to me to trade him for a selke caliber type. I look at this deal, and they've gotten worse up front, IMO. Chia sold low, and devalued the player on his way out of town. Pretty common theme around here, and pretty disappointing.

To sum it all up, I wasn't against moving Seguin, but I expected a better return simply based on the rumors last week. Some of those names supposedly being offered were better returns, IMO. I like Eriksson too, but not as the centerpiece of a deal for their best asset.

nobody from the Bruins camp is saying this has anything to do with Seguin's willingness to backcheck. He has become a pretty good two way player. All the rumors and buzz coming out of the B's organization is that Seguin has not shown the level of commitment and professionalism they expect from a guy about to make almost 6 million a year. This is about his maturity and personality not about his defensive play.

In any case, last time the Bruins made a move like this it helped them turn the corner to become a Stanley Cup team. They just made another strong Stanley Cup push and Seguin, about to become their 2nd highest paid forward was not an integral part of that push. So they just traded him for a really good player (who is not just a defensive forward...he does have a lot of offensive skill too) who is 100% committed to the game and freed up almost a couple million in cap space in the process while freeing themselves from a contract that they were obviously concerned was going to be a liability going forward.

I seriously don't understand how anyone can argue with the philosophy that the Bruins have adhered to since Chia took over. The results have proven that they are making the right moves.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Like Seguin, but this is a great trade, for both teams. Boston cut salary and got better, Dallas got better as well.

PC is easily one of the top GMs in the league.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Anyone concerned about Marchand's frame of mind? He and Seguin were good pals, no?

Quite frankly I'm thrilled that Seguin is no longer around to distract Marchand. Would much rather see Marchand joined at the hip with Bergy than with Seguin.

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
I don't know, usually if a guy who is well liked and respected is traded away, the players usually say "I know I'll miss him, he was a good guy, a good teammate, but I'm looking forward to playing with the new guy."

Just flat out dismissing him is VERY telling.

It's a txt msg response, and probably to one of a hundred txts this player has received in the last hour.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I personally do not know enough about the off-ice life of the players to be able to say with any type of certainty that Seguin was as irresponsible as some here are saying. In many cases things get blown out of proportion so I tend to give players the benefit of the doubt. However, if what is being said about Tyler is true then I am very disappointed with him. I really like his talent and feel like his time will come. And if the reports of his off-ice antics are true then I can fully understand Chia trading him. You cannot have a player on a high-character team that values hard work going off on his own and showing disregard for his teammates by partying when he should be showing more commitment to the team by adequately preparing himself. I'm sure more will come out over the coming days and weeks. The more I think about this trade the more I realize it may have been an excellent trade by Chia and will give Boston a better shot at winning the Cup over the next few years.

BTW, I am through buying #19 jerseys. Three months after I bought a Thornton jersey he left Boston. Three months after I bought a Seguin jersey he left Boston.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
You hear this stuff about acting like a professional, but what are the stories and why do you only hear about them when the team decides to move on? This whole deal sounds too eerily similar to what we heard when they moved Kessel. He didn't put in the work, he didn't want to be defensively responsible, etc. The underlying theme here is that we've heard this routine before, and it was with the last purely offensive guy they had, and here it is yet again with Seguin. I don't think it's a coincidence that this is happening. I also think it's a huge mistake to expect all your players to be solid two way players, and expect everyone to be the same. It should be a mix of all sorts, and guys should know their roles. In this case, all they seem to want is the same mid tier guys. For a team that was already lacking elite offensive talent, it doesn't make much sense to me to trade him for a selke caliber type. I look at this deal, and they've gotten worse up front, IMO. Chia sold low, and devalued the player on his way out of town. Pretty common theme around here, and pretty disappointing.

To sum it all up, I wasn't against moving Seguin, but I expected a better return simply based on the rumors last week. Some of those names supposedly being offered were better returns, IMO. I like Eriksson too, but not as the centerpiece of a deal for their best asset.

Big differences between Phil and Tyler (first and foremost, Phil didn't want to be here) and also, the off-ice stuff had been coming up for awhile now, long before Seguin was dealt.

If people are not convinced yet and think that the team mentality is not important, look at the Sox. Watching the game now and this team is far less "talented" than it's predecessors, and yet is doing far better. That's what this deal was about. The B's have obviously had multiple talks with Seguin and he is not buying in. At some point they decided that the potential was outweighed by the hassle, and replaced Seguin with a guy who has a rep as a great dressing room guy and two way player. In addition they got some good prospects to add to the depth and competition.

Buy in or get shipped out.

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
Conclusive, Bruins fans don't know much about this hockey business that we have here.

Have of you haven't been listening for the last week or so it appears. Now since 1:00PM everybody is up in arms.

Seguin is a great talent (I think so) and I am pissed he is not a Bruin. Going back over all of what I read the last week, I can accept it and go on. Plus the fact that the Bruins make up $3mil in cap space I have no problem with it.

They also acquired some young players that I think will have a good career and are part of the relief corps for the Bruins. They also give them more trading options.

I will miss Seguin but not his herky jerky skating style. I don't know if that is because he is on the wing or he was always like that.

PC is not getting away with anything here with me. I know he is the one that gave out extra $$ millions to a few players.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
No.

Because the only reason Seguin got traded was for off-ice garbage. Hamilton seems like the complete opposite of Seguin.

I swear to God people here said the same exact thing about Seguin compared to Kessel 3 years ago.

Oh Seguin wants to compete hard. Seguin wants to be one of the boys, Kessel didn't. Seguin is committed to be the best player he can be. Seguin has a high hockey iq blah blah blah.

I've seen this over and over and over again in every sport. People love the young kid, but sooner or later they grow to dislike something about him too.

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
Big differences between Phil and Tyler (first and foremost, Phil didn't want to be here) and also, the off-ice stuff had been coming up for awhile now, long before Seguin was dealt.

If people are not convinced yet and that the team mentality is not important, look at the Sox. Watching the game now and this team is far less "talented" than it's predecessors, and yet is doing far better. That's what this deal was about. The B's have obviously had multiple talks with Seguin and he is not buying in. At some point they decided that the potential was outweighed by the hassle, and replaced Seguin with a guy who has a rep as a great dressing room guy and two way player. In addition they got some good prospects to add to the depth and competition.

Kessel = Eriksson, Morrow, Smith, Fraser, Hamilton, Knight and $3mil in cap space.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
For Chiarelli he has done a wonderful thing. He has his core guys...Bergeron, Chara, DK, Looch and to an extent maybe Marchand. He wants to build a specific type of team....now and for the long term. So because of this he is not handcuffed when he has a primadonna on his hands. He trades them for 3-4 assets and players he believes will slot right in. Every GM should be so fortunate to operate this way. Was Seguin our most skilled guy? Yes...was Kessel...yes....but they weren't the right guys and Chia has shown he can take this team in the right direction without the need to rely on those types of guys.

We've seen the trading of a quarter for a dime and couple of nickels before. Anytime you're trading quality for quantity, that means you've lost the deal.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I swear to God people here said the same exact thing about Seguin compared to Kessel 3 years ago.

Oh Seguin wants to compete hard. Seguin wants to be one of the boys, Kessel didn't. Seguin is committed to be the best player he can be. Seguin has a high hockey iq blah blah blah.

I've seen this over and over and over again in every sport. People love the young kid, but sooner or later they great to dislike something about him too.

I won't argue that people saw what they wanted to see regarding Seguin. For many of us it was just wishful thinking, hoping he'd grow out of it. But can you honestly say that you can imagine Hamilton getting any complaints about character issues in the next few years? The kid seems super humble and super committed.

Like I said, it's fair to throw it in people's faces that they were wrong about Seguin, but I don't think Hamilton is the case I'd use to make an example out of b/c he really seems like a genuinely great kid.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
We've seen the trading of a quarter for a dime and couple of nickels before. Anytime you're trading quality for quantity, that means you've lost the deal.

But we didnt do that...stick with facts. Eriksson is as good as Seguin offensively and much better defensively. Fact. We got the best player in the deal, they got more potential. No idea where you are going with the above comment.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

If people are not convinced yet and think that the team mentality is not important, look at the Sox. Watching the game now and this team is far less "talented" than it's predecessors, and yet is doing far better. That's what this deal was about. The B's have obviously had multiple talks with Seguin and he is not buying in. At some point they decided that the potential was outweighed by the hassle, and replaced Seguin with a guy who has a rep as a great dressing room guy and two way player. In addition they got some good prospects to add to the depth and competition.

The flaw in your chemistry argument Joe, is that this team, even with a supposed malcontent, just made it to the finals, and they already won a cup with him too. Adding some decent depth players and less upside in the skill department because they didn't like a 21 year old chasing tail is a very short sighted way to run a franchise, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad