Seemingly lopsided trades where the "loser" ended up winning the deal

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
About three years ago Jim Benning was called all the names in the world for sending Hunter Shinkaruk to CGY for Markus Granlund. HS has now 15 NHL games under his belt. Granlund 256. Their age difference is 18 months, MG being older.

Reactions: zaqq

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Conacher+picks for Bishop.

Yzerman was roasted for that one and about a year later Bishop was a Vezina finalist and Conacher was on waivers.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Kevin Shattenkirk
Chris Stewart
2nd round pick

For

Erik Johnson
Jay McClement
1st round pick

People went NUTS over this. Mostly because on HF, younger = better. And EJ was seen as a bust.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
About three years ago Jim Benning was called all the names in the world for sending Hunter Shinkaruk to CGY for Markus Granlund. HS has now 15 NHL games under his belt. Granlund 256. Their age difference is 18 months, MG being older.
You're gonna have to wait until they're the same age to really make an accurate comparison though.

Refuse

Sin City Soldiers
Aug 23, 2005
A bit off topic, but since Melnyk is being discussed. I'm really tempted to email the NHL and ask if he violated the apperal deal by wearing the Reebok uniform in a team-sanctioned interview.
He really likes the RBK. From the Pens game last night:

melnykrbk.png

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think the jury's still out on the Drouin-for-Sergachev deal. Last year that looked like a win for TB, this year it looks pretty even, but, and I know I'm in the minority of TB fans here, I think there's a good chance Drouin becomes one of the better forwards in the league, while Sergachev becomes a very good defenseman.

It's a deal that'll work out for both sides, mind you. It's just not going to be what it appeared to be last year.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I remember when the Canucks traded Cory Schneider to New Jersey at the draft for the 9th overall pick. I was happy about the 9th selection, but I thought there should of been more to the deal. It was like the drive thru scene on "Dude where's my car?". I kept saying to my buddy when he announced the trade to me, the 9th and?, and he kept replying no and then....

Trade looks great now

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Very shallow and lazy analysis.

"NHL games" mean nothing. During Granlund's tenure in Vancouver, they've been the worst team in the league and garbage AHLers like Granlund have played a big part in that. Where as Shinkaruk, while being a worse player, hasn't been hurting his teams at the AHL level.

So while the Canucks may have gotten the slightly better player in that trade, organisationally they lost. Not to mention that at the time of the trade, a well-producing waiver-free younger prospect like Shinkaruk should've had more value than a waiver-eligible fringe player like Granlund.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I kinda hate that we consider draft picks for this thread. For example a couple years back Ottawa flipped Alexei Kovalev at the deadline for a 7th rounder, that was pretty much what he was worth at that point so it was a fair trade.

But then Ottawa drafted Ryan Dzingel and he turned out to be a 20+ goal scorer in the NHL. You could say that the trade turned lopsided, but that it not as much related to the trade as it is related to the scouting staff knocking that one out of the park.

When a team makes a trade for a pick, then the return is dependent on so many things like Development, injuries, scouting, coaching and etc. that I wouldn't consider it for the thread personally.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Wpg Buffalo

Kane
Bogo
Kasdorf

Myers
Stafford
Armia
Lemieux
1st Roslovic

This was called an extremely lopsided deal for the Jets. Turned out to be a wash. Myers and Kane had a few decent stretches when they were healthy, otherwise it amounted to nothing unless Roslovic pans out.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Terrible reaching.

Pens won the cup.

"It worked out because we became a horrible team and then go to draft good players" ---- It's losing. You lost.

They handed Kessel and the pens 2 cups and come out on top? Hahaha

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Was reading the old Bishop for Conacher trade. Our fans werent happy about it and saw other fans tell us we were taken to the cleaners. You look back and see it was two unproven players who had shown flashes of potential. We just ended up with the better deal. Funny how people often jump the gun in trades on here.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Meh, that's like saying it was a good idea to trade for Matt Duchene because the chemistry of our team tanked and we ended up with really good lottery odds that allowed us to draft Rasmus Dahlin.

Only we didn't get Rasmus Dahlin, we didn't even get Svechnikov, because we weren't lucky like the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Toronto has made some smart moves but drafting generational players via the luck of the lottery isn't something I give them a lot of credit for.

well you can't give them credit for something they haven't done.

tfu92

Nov 8, 2018
Very shallow and lazy analysis.

"NHL games" mean nothing. During Granlund's tenure in Vancouver, they've been the worst team in the league and garbage AHLers like Granlund have played a big part in that. Where as Shinkaruk, while being a worse player, hasn't been hurting his teams at the AHL level.

So while the Canucks may have gotten the slightly better player in that trade, organisationally they lost. Not to mention that at the time of the trade, a well-producing waiver-free younger prospect like Shinkaruk should've had more value than a waiver-eligible fringe player like Granlund.

This is terrible analysis/reasoning. How can nhl games not matter? Thats the point of a fringe player for player swap. If benning thought at that time he could sell high on shinkaruk, he did. Turns out he was right. Granlund has been great replacing beagle on our fourth line, and has produced well in his role. Now go look at shinkaruks ahl stats this season and i dare you to say hes done well for his team.

All the hf posters were bitching about that trade only cause they only stat watch. Anyone who watched utica games would know shinkaruk was pinching hard for points and didnt have the best work ethics. Benning sold high on a fringe player when hfboards thought that player was a star/middle 6 winger in the making. Maybe you thought he was worth more, but clearly other gm's didnt

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Ouch.

Some pretty tough takes on the Schneider deal in here considering...well, everything.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I kinda hate that we consider draft picks for this thread. For example a couple years back Ottawa flipped Alexei Kovalev at the deadline for a 7th rounder, that was pretty much what he was worth at that point so it was a fair trade.

But then Ottawa drafted Ryan Dzingel and he turned out to be a 20+ goal scorer in the NHL. You could say that the trade turned lopsided, but that it not as much related to the trade as it is related to the scouting staff knocking that one out of the park.

When a team makes a trade for a pick, then the return is dependent on so many things like Development, injuries, scouting, coaching and etc. that I wouldn't consider it for the thread personally.
Alex Auld for Mark Stone is an even better example lol. I agree it's completely ridiculous to use those kind of trades, if we had known Mark Stone was gonna be this good we wouldn't have drafted him with a 6th round pick. Should only be based on what the value of the pick is.

Reactions: Boud

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Not sure if it's been mentioned but Heatley for Michalek/2nd/Cheechoo. We all absolutely hated the trade and probably should have gotten more, but Heatley almost immediately went down hill (I remember people saying he was gonna put up 60+ goals with Thornton) and Michalek ended up being a really good player for us for a couple years, outscoring Heatley.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
I don't think a lot of people would say the Leafs "won the trade" the way it's described by the OP, however I would say they did a lot better when they traded Phil Kessel to Pittsburgh than they get credit for. Trading him made it easier for them to finish last place overall in 2016, getting the best draft lottery odds for Auston Matthews, getting Kaspari Kapanen who scored the tying goal on the night they cliched a playoff spot in 2017 and trading Pittsburgh's 2016 1st round pick for Frederik Andersen.
pittsburgh won two cups with Kessel, they definitely won the trade

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
Wpg Buffalo

Kane
Bogo
Kasdorf

Myers
Stafford
Armia
Lemieux
1st Roslovic

This was called an extremely lopsided deal for the Jets. Turned out to be a wash. Myers and Kane had a few decent stretches when they were healthy, otherwise it amounted to nothing unless Roslovic pans out.
lemieux wasn't signing in buffalo,
armia was always hurt
myers was always hurt
stafford was a ufa
only thing that suck about this trade for buffalo was giving up a 1st

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad