Seemingly lopsided trades where the "loser" ended up winning the deal

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Very shallow and lazy analysis.

"NHL games" mean nothing. During Granlund's tenure in Vancouver, they've been the worst team in the league and garbage AHLers like Granlund have played a big part in that. Where as Shinkaruk, while being a worse player, hasn't been hurting his teams at the AHL level.

So while the Canucks may have gotten the slightly better player in that trade, organisationally they lost. Not to mention that at the time of the trade, a well-producing waiver-free younger prospect like Shinkaruk should've had more value than a waiver-eligible fringe player like Granlund.

That posters has a point though. Shinkaruk almost ended up going to Europe this off season as management wasn't sure whether to continue with him if I recall correctly. At the last moment, the Flames tendered him a qualifying offer and then traded his rights for Rychel or something along those lines. Shinkaruk was very close to searching for non-AHL offers to keep playing.

Consider that Shinkaruk couldn't get a full time job on a poor Canucks team. He further couldn't steal a job on the Flames who had depth issues. Granlund was a guy that probably gets claimed if he goes on waivers. Shinkaruk, probably not. Vancouver won that one. Flames pulled a similar deal in the Chiassson/Sieloff trade. Chiasson was a holdout after taking Ottawa to arbitration once. But IIRC, it has always been seen that the Flames won that deal.

One that I'm curious about is Hoffman. It's no surprise that many feel SJS ripped off Ottawa in that deal, then further added salt by flipping Hoffman to the Panthers on the same day (For which SJS wins anyways by getting additional value for Hoffman after paying pennies on the dollar for him). But if SJS had held on Hoffman longer (ie: a week or two), do they get more value from someone other than the Panthers by fielding a few calls?
(I assume that Hoffman still has to be moved sometime between June 19 and September 13 if SJS was to receive Karlsson in the subsequent trade).

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
About three years ago Jim Benning was called all the names in the world for sending Hunter Shinkaruk to CGY for Markus Granlund. HS has now 15 NHL games under his belt. Granlund 256. Their age difference is 18 months, MG being older.

There were people (myself included) who called it a win for Vancouver though. Shinkaruk never was a good prospect despite the hype.

Some around here thought Ottawa got fleeced moving Rundblad and a pick for Turris.

The funny thing is that trade actually ended up pretty even in the end and it has nothing to do with Rundblad.

Arizona turned the 2nd into Vermette, who scored at a 42 point pace during his 4 years there, while being very good defensively, and was then flipped for a 1st round pick, which became Nick Merkley, who just went over a PPG in the AHL in his first pro season last year.

Kevin Shattenkirk
Chris Stewart
2nd round pick

For

Erik Johnson
Jay McClement
1st round pick

People went NUTS over this. Mostly because on HF, younger = better. And EJ was seen as a bust.

It’s not that Johnson was seen as a bust. It was that it was seen as 2 similar caliber dmen with a 22 year old, ~30 goal scoring, power forward tacked onto one side. But ya. EJ ended up being the best part of the deal and by a pretty wide margin

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
They are light years ahead of where they were in doing nothing, which is the alternative.

So? Are you bringing it up for a pat on the back? This thread coming out on top of lopsided trades, they looked bad when Kessel/Pens won their first cup and completely destroyed that when they took home their second in a row. If you don't understand the significance of that just look back to the last time the leafs won a cup... yeah that's right. The Pens won that trade and cemented their legacy for the next decade+, the leafs haven't done anything equivalent to that yet.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I think some good examples for this thread:

Rick Nash to the NYR looked like a great deal for NYR and turned out to be pretty good for the Jackets as well in the end (Anisimov and Dubinsky). Dubinsky has produced a fair amount (0.57PPG while 0.67 for Nash) and Anisimov was flipped for other assets.

James Neal to Nashville for Hornqvist looked pretty good for Nashville but turned amazing for the Pens.

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
Everybody called Fedotenko + 2 2nd round picks to the Lightning for the 4th overall a huge overpay by Tampa -- then Fedotenko goes on to score 12 goals in the 2004 playoffs, helping the Lightning win their only Stanley Cup.

Meanwhile, Joni Pitkanen was chosen 4OA and never managed to stay healthy.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I seem to recall that many people (including myself) thought Craig Button was crazy to trade Cory Stillman for Craig Conroy (plus a 7th round pick).

Up to that point, Conroy was viewed as a decent 3rd line center but he was 29 years old and never scored more than 15 goals in a season. Stillman was younger and had a pair of 27 goal seasons.

After the trade, Conroy would breakout offensively and had a respectable tenure with the Flames. Stillman wasn't necessarily bad for the Blues, but they'd deal him for a late 2nd rounder (which would end up being David Backes) after a couple of seasons.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
I got one for the Caps, not that they would have drafted him. The Caps traded for Dale Hunter in 1987. Also in the deal was Clint Malarchuk, two other players, and a first-round draft pick. That first round pick the Caps gave for Hunter turned out to be some kid named Joe Sakic.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
How was the Lindros to Philadelphia trade viewed at the time? Superstar prospect demanding a trade seems like the perfect pre-condition to this type of deal.

A little bit skeptical, a trade with significantly greater potential for the Flyers but not really lopsided although obviously not much was thought of Peter Forsberg at the time.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Everybody called Fedotenko + 2 2nd round picks to the Lightning for the 4th overall a huge overpay by Tampa -- then Fedotenko goes on to score 12 goals in the 2004 playoffs, helping the Lightning win their only Stanley Cup.

Meanwhile, Joni Pitkanen was chosen 4OA and never managed to stay healthy.
Not to mention both game 7 goals by the Lightning.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Not quite what the op was asking but man did the Habs ever win this trade.
Bruins trade Ken Dryden and Alex Campbell to the Canadiens for Guy Allen and Paul Reid.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Even if Karlsson doesnt pan out with the Sharks I still think it's a bad trade cause at the time they still should of gotten more value for him.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Schneider had a lackluster season, but killed it in the playoffs. Assuming he is injury free, he looks like he's set to rebound to being one of the best goalies in the league again.

Horvat had 44 points last season.

If Schneider plays anything like he did in the playoffs in the regular season, this trade is going to look horribly lopsided again.

In 64 games.

22 goals in 64 games too. 14 goals & 28 points in 32 games this year as a #1C.

Schneider is 32, Horvat is 23. I love Schneider, but unless he wins the Hart trophy this won't look lopsided for NJ again.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I think some good examples for this thread:

Rick Nash to the NYR looked like a great deal for NYR and turned out to be pretty good for the Jackets as well in the end (Anisimov and Dubinsky). Dubinsky has produced a fair amount (0.57PPG while 0.67 for Nash) and Anisimov was flipped for other assets.

James Neal to Nashville for Hornqvist looked pretty good for Nashville but turned amazing for the Pens.
Uhh Rangers clearly won the Nash trade

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Recent one would be Domi for Galchenyuk, we all thought Arizona easily won that trade but Domi has flipped the script

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Was reading the old Bishop for Conacher trade. Our fans werent happy about it and saw other fans tell us we were taken to the cleaners. You look back and see it was two unproven players who had shown flashes of potential. We just ended up with the better deal. Funny how people often jump the gun in trades on here.

I had a buddy at work (RIP Brian) who was a massive Tampa and Leafs fan. His family were snowbirds and lived close to Tampa in the winter while he was growing up. And this guy knew every prospect in the tampa farm system like the back of his hand.

He was completely devastated when we got Conacher, but sorta that happy they got a goalie in return. He was convinced that Cory was the next Marty St Louis, and that they were going regret it for years though.

He never really got to see just how wrong he was. Pretty sure it was that next winter that he was on his way home from work when a truck (illegally jacked up with a lift kit) crossed over the center lane and hit him head on, killed him on the spot...Only 35 years old and left a wife and 3 kids.

Brutally sad story, tbh.. Sorry for reminiscing, but this trade will always do it for me.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I had a buddy at work (RIP Brian) who was a massive Tampa and Leafs fan. His family were snowbirds and lived close to Tampa in the winter while he was growing up. And this guy knew every prospect in the tampa farm system like the back of his hand.

He was completely devastated when we got Conacher, but sorta that happy they got a goalie in return. He was convinced that Cory was the next Marty St Louis, and that they were going regret it for years though.

He never really got to see just how wrong he was. Pretty sure it was that next winter that he was on his way home from work when a truck (illegally jacked up with a lift kit) crossed over the center lane and hit him head on, killed him on the spot...Only 35 years old and left a wife and 3 kids.

Brutally sad story, tbh.. Sorry for reminiscing, but this trade will always do it for me.

Sad story, Sorry for your loss.

Reactions: Samsquanch

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I don't think a lot of people would say the Leafs "won the trade" the way it's described by the OP, however I would say they did a lot better when they traded Phil Kessel to Pittsburgh than they get credit for. Trading him made it easier for them to finish last place overall in 2016, getting the best draft lottery odds for Auston Matthews, getting Kaspari Kapanen who scored the tying goal on the night they cliched a playoff spot in 2017 and trading Pittsburgh's 2016 1st round pick for Frederik Andersen.

Yes but then pittsburgh won 2 stanley cups with torontos best forward that only costs them 6 mil?

For this to be equal we need to eventually win 2 cups, no?

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
It wasn't nearly as lopsided, but I remember when Montreal traded John Leclair, Gilbert Dionne, and Eric Desjardins to Philadelphia for Mark Recchi, I distinctly remember people in the media saying that the team that gets the best player wins the trade and hence Montreal won this one. Well it turned out that Leclair was a better player than anyone gave him credit for, and while Recchi is obviously no slouch, he never did for Montreal what Leclair did for the Flyers.

Desjardins was also really good for Philly for a long time. People today have forgotten about him but he was a legit number 1 DMan. Great trade for the Flyers.

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017
I don't think a lot of people would say the Leafs "won the trade" the way it's described by the OP, however I would say they did a lot better when they traded Phil Kessel to Pittsburgh than they get credit for. Trading him made it easier for them to finish last place overall in 2016, getting the best draft lottery odds for Auston Matthews, getting Kaspari Kapanen who scored the tying goal on the night they cliched a playoff spot in 2017 and trading Pittsburgh's 2016 1st round pick for Frederik Andersen.

Your logic and rose colored glasses are awful here

Reactions: Lays

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad