Seemingly lopsided trades where the "loser" ended up winning the deal

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I guess you can say Toronto also won the Phaneuf trade when they sent him to Ottawa because they did not have to retain any of his contract and last season when Ottawa traded Phaneuf to Los Angeles, the Senators retained $1,750,000 of his contract.

That was no doubt a win for them -- plus he was the last of the old guard they wanted gone.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Aug 3, 2010
Maybe it's more of a "wash", but I think Calgary ended up on the better end of the initial Phaneuf trade.

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
Schneider had a lackluster season, but killed it in the playoffs. Assuming he is injury free, he looks like he's set to rebound to being one of the best goalies in the league again.

Horvat had 44 points last season.

If Schneider plays anything like he did in the playoffs in the regular season, this trade is going to look horribly lopsided again.

Horribly lopsided?

Good luck finding many Vancouver fans that wouldn't do that exact same trade all over again every time.

Reactions: Dempsey

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Value-wise, you often see teams "winning" a trade in the fans' eyes when they've acquired (for example) a late first/second round pick and a decent prospect for a good roster player.

Then the team uses that draft pick on a so-so selection, and that prospect starts to stagnate in the AHL and it was never as good or bad of a trade as people thought.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Horribly lopsided?

Good luck finding many Vancouver fans that wouldn't do that exact same trade all over again every time.
The Canucks are not in a position, nor have they been for the last couple of years, where they need a starting goaltender.

Horvat is a great young player but a #2 center.

It's still a lopsided trade. The Canucks definitely did not win the trade, as per the thread title.

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
I think that, in the end, we kind of won the Phaneuf trade

I don't see how. Phaneuf was still a very good defenceman for the Leafs, while most of the guys the Flames got disappeared quickly. If you take into account Phaneuf's extension then there might be a case, but I think that's really a separate issue (as is the Stajan extension).

I agree it didn't end up being the one-sided deal many thought it would be when it happened. I think Leaf fans were disappointed because he wasn't the Phaneuf of the first few seasons, but he was still very solid. Being the captain of a total mess of a team, a position he should never have been put in, lead to him taking a lot more criticism than he deserved and coloured a lot of people's opinion of his play.

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
The Canucks are not in a position, nor have they been for the last couple of years, where they need a starting goaltender.

It's still a lopsided trade. The Canucks definitely did not win the trade, as per the thread title.

So it's horribly lopsided in favor of the devils? He'll be a #1 center on the Canucks this year and 60-70 points is definitely not out of the question for him.

So in what world is a 60-70 point 23 year old center not worth anywhere near a starting goaltender?

This was a win win for both franchises. Saying it was "horribly lopsided" in favour of New Jersey is just asinine.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
In 1989, after one season in Edmonton Jimmy Carson demands a trade. Coming off back to back seasons of 100 points and being the main piece (other than 15 million dollars) in the Gretzky trade, we ship him and Kevin McClelland off to Detroit for Joe Murphy, Petr Klima and Adam Graves. The optics of the deal looked horrible initially, but all 3 played a key role in us winning the cup later that season. Murphy alone would end up producing more points in each of the next 2 seasons.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Maybe it's more of a "wash", but I think Calgary ended up on the better end of the initial Phaneuf trade.

I remember being so stoked on this trade and thinking it was the second coming of the Gilmour deal. Like how the hell did we get Phaneuf for a bunch of junk?

Well, you guys warned us that he was on the decline fast, which of course we thought was sour grapes. You were right however. So in the end we traded him for a bunch of junk.

I didn't hate Phaneuf when he was here, I think he did try to be a good captain. But the game got faster while at the same time he got slower.

Be interesting to see the trade tree of all the spare parts that have been dealt for Phaneuf in those two deals.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
When the Bruins traded for Tomas Kaberle

"The defenseman has waived his no-trade clause for a deal to the Boston Bruins, with the Leafs receiving touted prospect Joe Colborne, Boston's first-round pick in the 2011 Draft and a conditional pick."

We actually thought that it was a bit of an old boys deal between Burke and Chirelli, kind of a "well we totally hosed you on the Kessel deal, so we will overpay a bit here to balance it out"

Getting essentially two first rounder for Kaberle was a bit of a sigh of relief for us after some serious bad luck. Colborne ended up doing squat for us and being dealt off for nothing (a 4th that was flipped off to STL for Polak) while the first round pick ended up being Tyler Biggs who ended up doing even more nothing than Colborne ( I realize the pick was flipped around a bit but thats who we ended up with)

So we looked like the winner at the time, and even though Kaberle didn't really do what he was expected of in Boston they still won the cup that year.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
So it's horribly lopsided in favor of the devils? He'll be a #1 center on the Canucks this year and 60-70 points is definitely not out of the question for him.

So in what world is a 60-70 point 23 year old center not worth anywhere near a starting goaltender?

This was a win win for both franchises. Saying it was "horribly lopsided" in favour of New Jersey is just asinine.

Horvat has a career high of 52 points.

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007

Thanks, tips.

52 in 81 games and 44 in 64 games last year (which you conveniently left out)

If he plays a full season with Boeser getting first line power play time, do you seriously think it's out of the realm of possibility for him to crack 8 more points?

You're acting like he's already peaked at 23. Have you even watched the guy play?

Let's not even talk about the fact that he's already proven to be a leader inside and outside of the locker room. Future captain of the franchise, no biggie.

Yeah. Horribly lopsided trade. I'm not sure this franchise will ever recover from such a fleecing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimbo57

Jimbo57

Jan 28, 2018

He is 23 years old and a lot of his career has been spent playing with AHL plugs and borderline NHL players on his wings. He has had to move his way up from the fourth line and barely got premium powerplay time while he was moving his way up through the lineup in his first few years. Not to mention the lopsided dzone vs ozone starts.

Last year he was on pace for 60+ points before suffering a horrible injury.

Schneider was a great goalie but due to the age difference canucks won 10+ years of a top 6 center who is destined to be captain/leader on a NHL team. I would do that trade over and over again with no questions asked. Bo will be in his peak (55-65 pt center) while CS will be hitting the golf range in his retirement. Thats enough to make it a win right there.

Last edited:
Reactions: cadillaccts

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Thanks, tips.

52 in 81 games and 44 in 64 games last year (which you conveniently left out)

If he plays a full season with Boeser getting first line power play time, do you seriously think it's out of the realm of possibility for him to crack 8 more points?

You're acting like he's already peaked at 23. Have you even watched the guy play?

Let's not even talk about the fact that he's already proven to be a leader inside and outside of the locker room. Future captain of the franchise, no biggie.

Yeah. Horribly lopsided trade. I'm not sure this franchise will ever recover from such a fleecing.

I was responding to a post that starte he was a 60-70 point center at 23.

You guys are comparing Horvat's best base hypotheticals to Schneider's worst season. Vancouver fumbled the Schneider/Luongo situation. No way around that.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I’d say that the Lars Eller Trade might fall into this category.
Habs fans were initially happy with the 2 2nds, but what Eller brought to Washington would make them the winners.

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
I was responding to a post that starte he was a 60-70 point center at 23.

You guys are comparing Horvat's best base hypotheticals to Schneider's worst season. Vancouver fumbled the Schneider/Luongo situation. No way around that.

Where did I say that? What I said was:

"60-70 points is definitely not out of the question for him."

It's not like I'm saying Elias Pettersson is going to score 60-70 points this year. Saying Horvat could theoretically score 8 more points when he's playing legit 1st line minutes with 1st unit pp time is a completely reasonable presumption. Don't act as if that is some kind of pipe dream hypothetical.

And who is saying Vancouver didn't fumble their goalie problem? They absolutely did and nobody is disputing that. At the time of this trade I was extremely disappointed. I thought we got fleeced.

Then I saw what Horvat became and what he is becoming. And I also understand that top goaltenders don't carry a lot of comparative value to young centers and defensemen.

You're grasping at straws here bud. Move on.

Reactions: Jimbo57

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
I don't think a lot of people would say the Leafs "won the trade" the way it's described by the OP, however I would say they did a lot better when they traded Phil Kessel to Pittsburgh than they get credit for. Trading him made it easier for them to finish last place overall in 2016, getting the best draft lottery odds for Auston Matthews, getting Kaspari Kapanen who scored the tying goal on the night they cliched a playoff spot in 2017 and trading Pittsburgh's 2016 1st round pick for Frederik Andersen.

Terrible reaching.

Pens won the cup.

"It worked out because we became a horrible team and then go to draft good players" ---- It's losing. You lost.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
People thought the Blues fleeced the Avs in the Erik Johnson trade. It’s really been even. Stewart lost his game. Shattenkirk was great but he’s gone now.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

LOL
you still think its lopsided.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
i'll give an obscure baseball one

Around 1989, 1990, Philadelphia Phillies trade Juan Samuel for Lenny Dykstra and Roger Mcdowell.

At the same Samuel was considered a young player with star potential.

Samuel turned into a dud while Dykstra played at all star level and was the key cog in the 1993 Phillies NL pennant.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
The Phaneuf trade to Ottawa seemed like a win for Ottawa at the time being able to shed contracts and acquire a player whose actual salary was lower than his cap hit on a team that wasn't going to spend to the cap anyway. Also, after the finals run it looked even better. However, that changed drastically starting with the expansion draft which cost them Methot due to Phaneuf and the rest is even worse. They are now stuck with retaining salary on him and paying Gaborik as well.

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
how did Vancouver end up winning that? id take the starting goalie over a 60 point forward, even if I do think Horvat is great

It still is. And I like Bo Horvat.

Horvat: 32 gp 14g 14a 28p
Schneider: 7gp 0w 5l 4.92 GAA .862 sv%

How will Vancouver ever recover from this horrible fleecing?

Reactions: Copenhagen91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad