Seemingly lopsided trades where the "loser" ended up winning the deal

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
The best example I have of this doesn't come from hockey. The Detroit Pistons traded Grant Hill for Ben Wallace because they didn't want to lose him for nothing. Grant Hill was a NBA superstar. Wallace was nothing.
I'm not going to delve too deep into this but, Ben Wallace was one of the most dominant defenders in the game.

Last edited:

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
4 time DPOY and a future HOFer...but who’s counting
His number 3 retired by Detroit, different seasons led the NBA in blocks, rebounds, rebounds per game, defensive rebounds, offensive rebounds, cover player on Nba 2k5. One of only 3 players to have 150 blocks, 100 steals in 7 consecutive seasons. Only NBA player to record 1000 rebounds, 100 blocks and 100 steals in 4 consecutive seasons.....I could go on, but who's counting?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I'm not going to delve too deep into this but, Ben Wallace was one of the most dominant defenders in the game.

He BECAME one of the best defenders in the game.

The Pistons wanted John Amechi not Ben Wallace. Orlando would give Ben Wallace... who at the time was a complete unknown. He rated out because he is one of the best help defenders in the history of the league. He was basically a guy like what Tomas Holmstrom was for Detroit. He had one skill and it was ****ing breathtakingly good. Once he got anywhere away from using that skill, he was not a good player at all.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It wasn't nearly as lopsided, but I remember when Montreal traded John Leclair, Gilbert Dionne, and Eric Desjardins to Philadelphia for Mark Recchi, I distinctly remember people in the media saying that the team that gets the best player wins the trade and hence Montreal won this one. Well it turned out that Leclair was a better player than anyone gave him credit for, and while Recchi is obviously no slouch, he never did for Montreal what Leclair did for the Flyers.

Top be fair playing with Lindros really pumped up Leclairs numbers. He would have never reached those kinds of stats if he had stayed with the Habs.

Reactions: Keanu Reeves

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Yeah, we didn't really win the trade, it was just a necessary move. Obviously, a talent like Phil would help be a finishing piece, but building around him was a flawed premise for a franchise. Very different than Karlsson, who was easy to build around barring a complete collapse in his game.

They would have gotten a much better deal however Shanahan just wanted him gone and wanted the best deal possible in a. short time span.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
how did Vancouver end up winning that? id take the starting goalie over a 60 point forward, even if I do think Horvat is great

They're saying that because Schneider kind of hit a bit of a bump this regular season and Bo Horvat was a top line guy on a really awful Vancouver team and actually scored some points.

And I'd rather take a 60 point forward over a goalie 100% of the time. The difference between good forwards and bad forwards is a great deal larger than the difference between a good and a bad goalie.

Reactions: TheTang58

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Chara, Muckatt (sp?) and second overall (Spezza) for Yashin has to be up there. People thought Spezza would be good but we're talking about getting a 90 point player and Chara's career high point total up until then in a season was 11. Many thought Isles would vastly improve.

Nobody thought that was lopsided at the time though. At worst, it was considered pretty good value for Alexei Yashin.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
The thing is when others always brought up the Kessel trade from Boston to Toronto it was mentioned how the Bruins won the Stanley Cup in 2011 as a major reason to say they won the trade. However when Leafs fans liked to point out them being able to finish last place overall in 2016, being able to draft Auston Matthews because of that and trading for Frederik Andersen with Pittsburgh's 1st round pick in 2016 due to them trading Kessel to the Penguins, we were told those things had nothing to do with trading him away.

You do understand the main reason that Phil Kessel was traded from Boston in the first place was the salary cap, right?

Are you going to pretend that the main reason Phil Kessel was traded from Toronto was because they wanted a draft pick to acquire a goaltender and were gunning to finish in last place?

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
As a Stars fan Nieuwendyk and Langenbrunner trade to NJD for Arnott and McKay was horrible for the Stars; Devils won the cup.

I also remember the Iginla for Nieuwendyk trade wasn’t liked by alot of Stars fans as well but we also won a Cup shortly after.

Niether was extremely lopsided at the time I guess but the one + and - trade by my team off the top of my head.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
By all accounts, I think most thought the Avs got worked in the Shattenkirk/Stewart trade for EJ. Not that it really turned out amazing for either team, but Stewart fizzled out of the NHL basically, and the Blues traded Shattenkirk for futures. Johnson is still the backbone of the Avs defence.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Yeah the Schneider for the Devils 1st pick is not lopsided at all. It leans one way or the other depending on who you ask, but lopsided is the wrong way to describe it.

The Devils got a #1 goalie with low-mileage who ranges from average to incredible, who has had a few elite seasons to boot.

The Canucks got a good forward out of it.

Seems fairly even to me, to be honest. If it favors either team over the other, it's not to a lopsided amount.

If Bo Horvat turns out to be a PPG (Or near that) 1st line player for years on end, then you can have that discussion.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Nobody thought that was lopsided at the time though. At worst, it was considered pretty good value for Alexei Yashin.
I'm trying to remember the initial reaction. Maybe not lopsided but I think many felt Isles won the trade atleast and would be quite a bit better but it turned into a completely lopsided deal.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
how did Vancouver end up winning that? id take the starting goalie over a 60 point forward, even if I do think Horvat is great

Was wondering the same. Schneider put up great numbers after the trade. Too bad devils were in the midst of the worst rebuild at the time.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Are you going to pretend that the main reason Phil Kessel was traded from Toronto was because they wanted a draft pick to acquire a goaltender and were gunning to finish in last place?
I always thought he was traded because Brendan Shanahan thought the Leafs needed a culture change and it started with Kessel. Plus I also think he held him responsible for that whole salute gate disaster.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Not sure either side won this deal(this is more of a case of lost less) but the Penguins ended off better then the Caps with the Jagr trade

they definitely did not.

I'm assuming you mean because of how awful the team was and the eventual by-product of getting the lucky pingpong ball for Malkin and eventually Sid. But the products of the trade:

Kris Beech: 27 points in 85 games over three seasons. He actually ended up back on the Capitals' roster in 2006 and 2007 and then even came back to Pittsburgh for a week or so in 2008.
Michal Sivek: 6 points in 38 games during the 2002-03 season. Spent another season with the WBS Penguins the following season and was back in the Extraliga by 2004-05.
Ross Lupaschuk: brief cup of coffee in 2002-03, scoring 0 pts in 3 games. Stayed in the organization, skating with the WBS Penguins, until 2005.

Jaromir Jagr: 45 points in 46 games. I should probably mention those stats are only his final season numbers with the Caps before he was traded to New York in 2004. Jagr literally outscored all three products of the Jagr Three in a partial season. And yes, I understand the circumstances of the trade: financials; GMCP looking for cash, prospects, and the ability to tread water until the arena situation had more certainty.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
They would have gotten a much better deal however Shanahan just wanted him gone and wanted the best deal possible in a. short time span.
I remember hearing that Dubas tried to at least get Matt Murray and I think Brian Dumoulin (Can't remember exactly if it was him or someone else) in the Kessel trade, however the Penguins said no. Plus as I said before Pittsburgh was the only team on Kessel's approved trade list who talked about trading for him.

Reactions: Voight

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He BECAME one of the best defenders in the game.

The Pistons wanted John Amechi not Ben Wallace. Orlando would give Ben Wallace... who at the time was a complete unknown. He rated out because he is one of the best help defenders in the history of the league. He was basically a guy like what Tomas Holmstrom was for Detroit. He had one skill and it was ****ing breathtakingly good. Once he got anywhere away from using that skill, he was not a good player at all.

Gotcha, but an NBA S&T is a different beast altogether. Detroit was losing Grant Hill before their next game, no matter what. So that’s a whole different animal than even a TDL rental in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad