Seemingly lopsided trades where the "loser" ended up winning the deal

Ovechclutch

Aug 19, 2014
Toronto
Obviously the popular opinion (understatement) is that Doug Wilson and the Sharks fleeced Dorion and the Sens in the Karlsson trade. This got me thinking, how many trades in the past seemed badly one-sided only to flip the other way in the future?

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Chara, Muckatt (sp?) and second overall (Spezza) for Yashin has to be up there. People thought Spezza would be good but we're talking about getting a 90 point player and Chara's career high point total up until then in a season was 11. Many thought Isles would vastly improve.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think a lot of people would say the Leafs "won the trade" the way it's described by the OP, however I would say they did a lot better when they traded Phil Kessel to Pittsburgh than they get credit for. Trading him made it easier for them to finish last place overall in 2016, getting the best draft lottery odds for Auston Matthews, getting Kaspari Kapanen who scored the tying goal on the night they cliched a playoff spot in 2017 and trading Pittsburgh's 2016 1st round pick for Frederik Andersen.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't think a lot of people would say the Leafs "won the trade" the way it's described by the OP, however I would say they did a lot better when they traded Phil Kessel to Pittsburgh than they get credit for. Trading him made it easier for them to finish last place overall in 2016, getting the best draft lottery odds for Auston Matthews, getting Kaspari Kapanen who scored the tying goal on the night they cliched a playoff spot in 2017 and trading Pittsburgh's 2016 1st round pick for Frederik Andersen.

Meh, that's like saying it was a good idea to trade for Matt Duchene because the chemistry of our team tanked and we ended up with really good lottery odds that allowed us to draft Rasmus Dahlin.

Only we didn't get Rasmus Dahlin, we didn't even get Svechnikov, because we weren't lucky like the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Toronto has made some smart moves but drafting generational players via the luck of the lottery isn't something I give them a lot of credit for.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
It wasn't nearly as lopsided, but I remember when Montreal traded John Leclair, Gilbert Dionne, and Eric Desjardins to Philadelphia for Mark Recchi, I distinctly remember people in the media saying that the team that gets the best player wins the trade and hence Montreal won this one. Well it turned out that Leclair was a better player than anyone gave him credit for, and while Recchi is obviously no slouch, he never did for Montreal what Leclair did for the Flyers.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Meh, that's like saying it was a good idea to trade for Matt Duchene because the chemistry of our team tanked and we ended up with really good lottery odds that allowed us to draft Rasmus Dahlin.

Only we didn't get Rasmus Dahlin, we didn't even get Svechnikov, because we weren't lucky like the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Well, if you did finish 31st this year, you would have won the draft lottery (like the Leafs did finishing last in 2016). Obviously, luck plays a part, but the Leafs needed to rebuild.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Would we have?

Our 1st overall picks are Alexandre Daigle, Chris Phillips and Bryan Berard.

I don't like that track record.
Atleast Berard turned into Redden who was a good player for you guys.

Well, I can't say you 100% would of. But, assuming the same numbers came up, and the team that finished 31st got the same numbers assigned you would have gotten Dahlin. The 31st place team got Dahlin this year. Obviously, like Back to the Future or a bunch of sci-fi movies, you change one small thing in the past it can alter the present in unforeseen ways.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Atleast Berard turned into Redden who was a good player for you guys.

Well, I can't say you 100% would of. But, assuming the same numbers came up, and the team that finished 31st got the same numbers assigned you would have gotten Dahlin. The 31st place team got Dahlin this year. Obviously, like Back to the Future or a bunch of sci-fi movies, you change one small thing in the past it can alter the present in unforeseen ways.

Regardless, Toronto seems to be going in the right direction these days. They clearly made the most of their rebuild.

Nylander is a bit of a problem but it's a good problem to have.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Regardless, Toronto seems to be going in the right direction these days. They clearly made the most of their rebuild.

Nylander is a bit of a problem but it's a good problem to have.
Yeah, we didn't really win the trade, it was just a necessary move. Obviously, a talent like Phil would help be a finishing piece, but building around him was a flawed premise for a franchise. Very different than Karlsson, who was easy to build around barring a complete collapse in his game.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, we didn't really win the trade, it was just a necessary move. Obviously, a talent like Phil would help be a finishing piece, but building around him was a flawed premise for a franchise. Very different than Karlsson, who was easy to build around barring a complete collapse in his game.

Agreed.

Phil was never a franchise player, he was miscast and it's hard to keep those guys around when you're trying to change the character of a team. They'll usually be associated with that previous era.

If you could look at my post history, I was always pretty favourable with respect to Kessel, even when he was with the Leafs.

I just felt that a finesse winger can't be the guy that leads the team to a Cup. I think Montreal figured that out too.

Ironically, he's the kind of guy that could have been brought in now (like Marleau) if he hadn't had that existing history with the team.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Phil was never a franchise player, he was miscast and it's hard to keep those guys around when you're trying to change the character of a team.
I think you can build around Phil, in a similar way you can build around Patrik Kane. You just need a Toews and a Keith (and to an extent Hossa). To be honest, you can't build a team around any one player in this league. It is too competitive. Even Gretzky couldn't win a cup on LA (although he came damn close). Any team built around just one pillar is bound to implode.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think you can build around Phil, in a similar way you can build around Patrik Kane. You just need a Toews and a Keith (and to an extent Hossa). To be honest, you can't build a team around any one player in this league. It is too competitive. Even Gretzky couldn't win a cup on LA (although he came damn close). Any team built around just one pillar is bound to implode.

Yeah, I kind of amended my post to explain it a bit better.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Would we have?

Our 1st overall picks are Alexandre Daigle, Chris Phillips and Bryan Berard.

I don't like that track record.

Well in your last post you said you don’t give credit for drafting generational talents in the draft since it’s luck to get the first overall. Your post should show you it’s not all about having the first overall and just a side note Daigle was almost as sure fire as Crosby at that time . Besides Marner at 4 and Reilly at 5 and Nylander at 8. There was landmines all around that were avoided. Leafs rebuilt smart. They rebuilt horribly for like 15 years but eventually they got it :laugh: I’m sure the Sens will too. The Duchene trade is similar to the Kessel one imo and hopefully it sends a trickle down effect like it did for us and you guys get someone like Shanahan !

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well in your last post you said you don’t give credit for drafting generational talents in the draft since it’s luck to get the first overall. You post should show you it’s not all about having the first overall. Besides Marner at 4 and Reilly at 5 and Nylander at 8. There was landmines all around that were avoided. Leafs rebuilt smart. They rebuilt horribly for like 15 years but eventually they got it :laugh: I’m sure the Sens will too. The Duchene trade is similar to the Kessel one imo and hopefully it sends a trickle down effect like it did for us and you guys get someone like Shanahan !

Well, we'll never have the organizational and management strength that you guys have - at least not with current ownership.

But I appreciate the concept. ;)

We've drafted well over the years from time to time, Karlsson was #15, Stone was #178.

But it's hard to be optimistic if we can't hold on to them once they've hit their primes.

Anyway, I don't want to take over another thread with this stuff.

I'd say that Toronto elegantly made the most out of their lopsided deal.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Not sure either side won this deal(this is more of a case of lost less) but the Penguins ended off better then the Caps with the Jagr trade

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Well, we'll never have the organizational and management strength that you guys have - at least not with current ownership.

But I appreciate the concept. ;)

We've drafted well over the years, Karlsson was #15, Stone was #178.

It's hard to be optimistic if we can't hold on to them once they've hit their primes.

The thing is I have a sting feeling the NHL gave a harsh warning to Melnyk. The guy cake out wearing a Sens jersey and personally released a video on how he plans to rebuild. Reason I think they did this is because just last year he said something like he’s not gunna lose money to make the Sens better. Completely paraphrasing but a lot the lines of he views Ottawa Senators as strictly a business. So quite the change in attitude. Hopefully he makes the smart “business” choice and realizes you have to spend some money into something before it starts making you money. Also a new PR guy would be of great benefit to him

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The thing is I have a sting feeling the NHL gave a harsh warning to Melnyk. The guy cake out wearing a Sens jersey and personally released a video on how he plans to rebuild. Reason I think they did this is because just last year he said something like he’s not gunna lose money to make the Sens better. Completely paraphrasing but a lot the lines of he views Ottawa Senators as strictly a business. So quite the change in attitude. Hopefully he makes the smart “business” choice and realizes you have to spend some money into something before it starts making you money. Also a new PR guy would be of great benefit to him

He said:

Eugene Melnyk said:
“I’m not going to blow a lifetime of working hard to support a hockey team. It’s not gonna happen,”

“The bigger question is whether I’m prepared to blow all that money I made over many years in a different industry in a different country. How
long can you underwrite a team?”

This is what he said days before the Heritage Game where I personally shelled out $300 a ticket for 2 tickets in the nosebleeds.

Maybe Ottawa fans aren't willing to blow their hard working wages anymore either.

Solid owners manage their teams as investments, not as businesses.

It's just not going to work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->