Seattle's YET still unnamed team

Cotton

May 13, 2013
No... Personally, still not happy that NFL Carolina named their team the Panthers after the NHL Florida team did. Couldn't pick something else?

People will simply shorten it to Mets, so then you're wondering if people are referring to NY of ML or SEA of NHL.

When the Expos relocated to Washington, they could have gone with Senators, who were the former Minnesota Twins, but they opted to not be the same as Ottawa, thus went with Nationals.

Try to be different from the NBA, MLB, NFL, MLS.

The Seattle Metropolitans of the PCHL were the first US team to win the Stanley Cup in 1917.

The name has hockey history there.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Ever since speculation began on this name I've seen the criticism for some suggestions being "that isn't intimidating" re: Emeralds/ Rain/ Rainiers/ Sockeye etc.

Tell me what is intimidating about:

Penguins
Red Wings
Capitals
Canucks
Oilers
Ducks
Islanders
Canadiens
Blues

I left out like half a dozen other names that are sort of grey area/ if you consider the geographical context could be seen as powerful/ authoritative/ intimidating but on a quick read are not "aggressive" or anything close.

Names like Flyers, Jets, Stars give the idea of skill/ athleticism which is cool but are also not necessarily fear-inducing.

I think the NHL has often leaned into using something unique, geographically meaningful and contextually significant for naming their franchises. Sometimes it could just be alliteration, and I guess a few times it is just generic sports team naming.

But to write-off something like Seattle Sockeye as a nonstarter because it isn't hockey specific or "athletic" sounding or intimidating seems like a big misstep based on all the history of naming in the NHL.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Ever since speculation began on this name I've seen the criticism for some suggestions being "that isn't intimidating" re: Emeralds/ Rain/ Rainiers/ Sockeye etc.

Penguins
Red Wings
Capitals
Canucks
Oilers
Ducks
Islanders
Canadiens
Blues

I left out like half a dozen other names that are sort of grey area/ if you consider the geographical context could be seen as powerful/ authoritative/ intimidating but on a quick read are not "aggressive" or anything close.

Names like Flyers, Jets, Stars give the idea of skill/ athleticism which is cool but are also not necessarily fear-inducing.

I think the NHL has often leaned into using something unique, geographically meaningful and contextually significant for naming their franchises. Sometimes it could just be alliteration, and I guess a few times it is just generic sports team naming.

But to write-off something like Seattle Sockeye as a nonstarter because it isn't hockey specific or "athletic" sounding or intimidating seems like a big misstep based on all the history of naming in the NHL.
Can you do that list with teams that came about after the 80's? It would give a better idea of recent trends.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Can you do that list with teams that came about after the 80's? It would give a better idea of recent trends.
That's easy enough. Just think expansion and relocation

Sharks
Senators
Lightning
Panthers
Ducks
Stars- Relocation
Coyotes- Relocation
Avalanche- Relocation
Hurricanes- Relocation
Predators
Thrashers
Blue Jackets
Wild
Jets -relocation
Golden Knights

I think I got them all

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Since Vegas went with Golden Knights I think it would be okay, and even fitting, for Seattle to go with the White Knights.

Kraken was the right choice though, shame it won't be used.

Reactions: Vijo Morganstein

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018

Penguins
Red Wings
Capitals
Canucks
Oilers
Ducks
Islanders
Canadiens
Blues

One of the issues with "Sockeyes" is that it's an ugly fish. Even by fish standards, it's really ugly. The word itself also sounds somewhat grotesque.

Seattle Seals checks the alliteration box that I personally enjoy (Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Flyers, etc.), seals are a cute animal that most people like (similar to penguins), has great mascot and merchandising potential, and possibility of a cool Penguins-eque logo and jersey, etc.

At least the Marlins (Miami, MLB) are named after a cool looking fish. But even then, nobody likes that team or buys their merchandise. Do you really want to wear a jersey with a fish on it? Especially a really ugly one like a sockeye?

Reactions: Nsjohnson

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
For some reason I think it's gonna be something corny like Seattle Sea Monsters
The marketing possibilities aimed towards kids would be huge. A cuddly big sea monster...

I could see Siusiutl as their mascot now

53079a6f0887f4.26841096_1000x.jpeg

kids lining up at the front counter to buy their Sea Serpent masks
c6ddacbd297dea1b47736c1e9da6e103.jpg

Last edited:

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
That's easy enough. Just think expansion and relocation

Sharks
Senators
Lightning
Panthers
Ducks
Stars- Relocation
Coyotes- Relocation
Avalanche- Relocation
Hurricanes- Relocation
Predators
Thrashers
Blue Jackets
Wild
Jets -relocation
Golden Knights

I think I got them all

Boo "Coyotes", "Wild", and "Golden Knights" (especially for going with "Vegas" instead of the actual city name).

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
But people would naturally call them the New York Rangers anyway. New York is the most common term to refer to that city, which is actually a shortened version of the real name, New York City.

Tampa Bay Lightning
Carolina Hurricanes
Washington Capitals
New York Rangers*
New York Islanders*

*unless you want to pretend that "New York" is referring to the state.

I always found it interesting how some teams choose to use the city name and others the whole state.

I guess it’s just how it flows with the name?

Denver Avalanche and the Illinois Blackhawks just doesn’t sound right.

on the flip side the Long Island Islanders and the Manhattan Rangers don’t sound good either.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I always found it interesting how some teams choose to use the city name and others the whole state.

I guess it’s just how it flows with the name?

Denver Avalanche and the Illinois Blackhawks just doesn’t sound right.

on the flip side the Long Island Islanders and the Manhattan Rangers don’t sound good either.

Did the Islanders ever refer to themselves as Long Island? I remember for a time they were listed as Long Island in the standings, but I don't know if the team ever used it in any capacity.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Did the Islanders ever refer to themselves as Long Island? I remember for a time they were listed as Long Island in the standings, but I don't know if the team ever used it in any capacity.

no. I’m pretty sure it’s always been “New York”. There have been merchandise with “Long Island” in it and even “Brooklyn” within the last few years but they’ve always officially been the New York Islanders. Even as fans we’ve always referred to them as this.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

The previous LI team in the Eastern Hockey League called the "Long Island Ducks" was a name in the running for the NHL expansion team but I think that is as close as they got.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad