Seattle's YET still unnamed team

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
How about the Seattle Super Sonics.......I like the sound of that. They should try it.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I always found it interesting how some teams choose to use the city name and others the whole state.

I guess it’s just how it flows with the name?

Denver Avalanche and the Illinois Blackhawks just doesn’t sound right.

on the flip side the Long Island Islanders and the Manhattan Rangers don’t sound good either.
The Avalanche said they opted for Colorado because it had a broader appeal to the state. It clearly hasn't hampered the Broncos, but since they were toying with Rocky Mountain as the demonym...

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Seattle Grunge. Bring on the Retro 90s look and 90s style hockey. Mascot named Kurt - a cartoon version of Kurt Cobain in worn out jeans, plaid shirt etc.

Vijo Morganstein

Nov 29, 2019
Seattle Grunge. Bring on the Retro 90s look and 90s style hockey. Mascot named Kurt - a cartoon version of Kurt Cobain in worn out jeans, plaid shirt etc.
Kurt Cobain being used as the mascot for a multibillion dollar corporation would be so antithetical to his beliefs that I actually support this for comedy's sake.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
One of the issues with "Sockeyes" is that it's an ugly fish. Even by fish standards, it's really ugly. The word itself also sounds somewhat grotesque.

Seattle Seals checks the alliteration box that I personally enjoy (Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Flyers, etc.), seals are a cute animal that most people like (similar to penguins), has great mascot and merchandising potential, and possibility of a cool Penguins-eque logo and jersey, etc.

At least the Marlins (Miami, MLB) are named after a cool looking fish. But even then, nobody likes that team or buys their merchandise. Do you really want to wear a jersey with a fish on it? Especially a really ugly one like a sockeye?

Seattle Sea Lions - Avoids outright re-using a name from a previous franchise, still has the alliteration, and is balanced in regards to syllables so it sounds nicer.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The Avalanche said they opted for Colorado because it had a broader appeal to the state. It clearly hasn't hampered the Broncos, but since they were toying with Rocky Mountain as the demonym...

Definitely makes sense to include the state for business purposes but it usually doesn’t hurt teams. I’m sure Detroit and Chicago have most of Michigan and Illinois locked down. Same thing with Denver and other cities. Boston is interesting because they go from parts of Connecticut to Maine. That’s a lot of territory for Boston teams.

The yotes changed to Arizona but I think that was mostly because they weren’t actually playing in Phoenix IIRC?

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
I really hope it isn't the Sockeye. Not that I'll be a fan of them anyway, but god forbid I have a kid one day and raise them in this area and they become fans of a hockey team named after a salmon.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Definitely makes sense to include the state for business purposes but it usually doesn’t hurt teams. I’m sure Detroit and Chicago have most of Michigan and Illinois locked down. Same thing with Denver and other cities. Boston is interesting because they go from parts of Connecticut to Maine. That’s a lot of territory for Boston teams.
One opportunity using the state name opened up since the C on the state flag has had more crossover into marketing lately it's been a natural transition for the Avs to use it.

18PPMMNHLVSLTRPBLCOL_is

Avs-new-shoulder-patch.jpg

I don't know much about the naming or branding of the original Hockey Rockies, but given the era and that team's reputation I can't imagine a ton of thought went into it.

The yotes changed to Arizona but I think that was mostly because they weren’t actually playing in Phoenix IIRC?
Also the first in the phone book effect.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
One of the issues with "Sockeyes" is that it's an ugly fish. Even by fish standards, it's really ugly. The word itself also sounds somewhat grotesque.

Seattle Seals checks the alliteration box that I personally enjoy (Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Flyers, etc.), seals are a cute animal that most people like (similar to penguins), has great mascot and merchandising potential, and possibility of a cool Penguins-eque logo and jersey, etc.

At least the Marlins (Miami, MLB) are named after a cool looking fish. But even then, nobody likes that team or buys their merchandise. Do you really want to wear a jersey with a fish on it? Especially a really ugly one like a sockeye?

Anyone from the Pacific Northwest can tell you that the Sockeye is the best of all species of salmon. Its really oily, not tough like Chinook. I know - I used to hate cleaning those things in the fish plant.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Anyone from the Pacific Northwest can tell you that the Sockeye is the best of all species of salmon. Its really oily, not tough like Chinook. I know - I used to hate cleaning those things in the fish plant.
I mean, I love all Salmon here, and I think silvers are the best tasting. But you're right about cleaning.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
I think there are a few I could accept:
Seattle Evergreen(s)
Seattle Sea Lions
Seattle Sockeyes ----I am becoming more open to this.

I still wish there were a few Naval or seafaring options that I can't think of. Or another animal.

There are lots and lots of birds here. But is there anything worthy of a team?

Seattle Pyroclastic Flows.

Seattle Can't Drive In The Snows

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
I really hope it isn't the Sockeye. Not that I'll be a fan of them anyway, but god forbid I have a kid one day and raise them in this area and they become fans of a hockey team named after a salmon.

Where are you? My brother is in shoreline

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Maybe they'll announce the name after the season is done and the NHL renames the Metropolitan division to something else.

Seattle Metropolitans

Then they could claim they're former Stanley Cup Champs. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad