Seattle vs Tampa Bay, Expansion Draft Advantage

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I'm really at a loss for this constant mention of Hayes. The only connection he has to this conversation is your avatar. Are you related to him?

This is not a rights conversation.

Can you please explain to me why you're talking about trading FA rights? There is a massive disconnect here and I don't know how to solve it for you.

there is no restriction in prior to the ED Seattle trades it’s 5th for a teams UFA rights.

they could include this is an ED trade to not select players or select a subset of players

Tampa trades 2023 1st and Coleman UFA rights, and an unsigned prospect if Seattle takes Johnson

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
there is no restriction in prior to the ED Seattle trades it’s 5th for a teams UFA rights.

they could include this is an ED trade to not select players or select a subset of players

Tampa trades 2023 1st and Coleman UFA rights, and an unsigned prospect if Seattle takes Johnson

This goes against the whole thread.

1. Seattle already effectively has the rights to Coleman because they can sign him before anyone else (except tampa).

2. If they do sign Coleman, they can't pick Johnson or any one else.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I think they signed the Dman from Calgary who’s wife and off-season home was in vegas
Correct they signed one player from Calgary who lets be honest wasn't exactly the deepest team in the world at the time.
If you want to make the case Seattle look into a Ryan Murray signing for example because NJD players available aren't the sexiest, ok now you have a legit case. But Coleman, RNH, Tatar signing early is wrong choice.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Coleman should be Looking for a pay day as he finished college before arriving as a pro and spent time in the A. Not a full time nhler til around 25. Career earnings around $7 mill and he’s 30 this year. Guessing he’d look for a 4 year deal at over $3 mill and eyeing $3.5 mill per.

up to seattle is that’s who they opt to target. I just would t take Johnson without a massive sweetener. $5 mill per for the next 3 years on a declining player in his early 30’s.

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Tampa should be waiver exempt. Not fair for a player to get sniped off the roster in a sunny, low-tax state and dragged north-west to Washington state, with it's high taxes ànd rain.

Plus everyone is always mean to Tampa on here. Bunch of meanies on hfb.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Coleman should be Looking for a pay day as he finished college before arriving as a pro and spent time in the A. Not a full time nhler til around 25. Career earnings around $7 mill and he’s 30 this year. Guessing he’d look for a 4 year deal at over $3 mill and eyeing $3.5 mill per.

At that price you'll be Outbid.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
At that price you'll be Outbid.
A don’t see a higher end team paying him into the $4 mill range. Looking at the mid range teams that could push that amount as well as the weaker teams.

good secondary player but good teams can only pay so many secondary guys.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
A don’t see a higher end team paying him into the $4 mill range. Looking at the mid range teams that could push that amount as well as the weaker teams.

good secondary player but good teams can only pay so many secondary guys.

He's a secondary player on the (arguably) best team in the league. On a Seattle, Detroit or back to NJ he's a top 6. If Hyman leaves Toronto, Coleman is an easy replacement on the first line.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Tampa should be waiver exempt. Not fair for a player to get sniped off the roster in a sunny, low-tax state and dragged north-west to Washington state, with it's high taxes ànd rain.

Plus everyone is always mean to Tampa on here. Bunch of meanies on hfb.

WA like FL doesn’t have state income taxes.

Reactions: The Pale King

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Tampa Bay obviously has a difficult summer ahead. This has been discussed ad nauseum, but I want to point the level of power Seattle has over these cap issues.

Tampa has 3 ways to resolve their issues and become cap compliant.

1. Expiration of contracts (Ie. Goodrow, Coleman, Schenn, Savard, etc)
2. An expansion pick from Seatle (Depending on protection someone like Gourde, Johnson, Killorn, McDonaugh, or even Palat)
3. Trades and Buy outs.

In the best case scenario Tampa uses all 3 of these maneuvers. However, Seattle has the unique ability to deprive them of one.

IF Seattle signs a free agent from Tampa (ala Engelland from Calgary to Vegas) then Seattle is no longer obligated to take a player from Tampa Bay.

Let's take Coleman for example. If he signs in say Ottawa, and SEATTLE selects Killorn, then Tampa's 2022 Cap Hit is now $6,250,000 lower than 2021.

Now, if SEATTLE signs Coleman, they no longer have to take Killorn- or anyone else. In this scenario, the 2022 Cap Hit is only $1,800,000 lower than 2021. Tampa must then find a way to clear an additional $4,450,000 using option three: Trades and Buy outs.

Should Francis choose to exploit this situation, he can say to Brisebois "I've got an agreement with Coleman (for example) to sign with me. BUT if you pay me not to, I will for go signing a free agent from you. Then I will make an expansion selection. In exchange, I want a pick and I want you to expose a good player, like Palat."

Should Brisbois refuse, Seattle can happily use their selection on signing UFA Coleman and they can offer to make a future cap trade with Tampa. The issue for Tampa in this scenario is that they've now lost the ability to use our original options of 1 and 2, plus the buy out period will pass. All that is left is the trade option; and so, their leverage is decreased.

After a year of watching Tampa run circles around the CBA I would love to watch Francis make this gambit, even if it means slightly overpaying to land that TB free agent.

Thoughts?
This is the dumbest thing i've read and tampa isnt doing that. They'll take a Johnson or Cernak in the end, The bolts already are gonna get killed hard anyways in the expansion draft and they are gonna need to offload some cap badly.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
This is the dumbest thing i've read and tampa isnt doing that. They'll take a Johnson or Cernak in the end, The bolts already are gonna get killed hard anyways in the expansion draft and they are gonna need to offload some cap badly.

Tampa isn't going to do what? It may be dumb because you misread it?

Your last sentence is exactly my point. So not sure where you're disagreeing with me on.

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
I know this year will be different, considering it's an Expansion Draft for Seattle. But, would GMRF think about doing what the Jets did, and mainly "draft & develop" for the future, with a few free agents signed, rather than the Vegas route of signing or trading for big names? I'm a fan of the Knights (& Kings), so, just wondering what Ronnie's approach might be?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad