Seattle vs Tampa Bay, Expansion Draft Advantage

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Won't the salary cap rise next season with the new TV deal???? I heard that on NHL Network on one of their shows. Just wondering.

No it won't. NHL lost too much revenue (several billions of dollars) for the new US deal to off set to the point of a cap increase next year. Its been mentioned it could be years before the cap goes back up but the new US deal will help reduce how long the flat cap will be in place though.

Reactions: Fan from AK

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
no. They get a window to exclusively negotiate snd sign UFAs which count as ED picks.

but the league watches thus like a hawk to watch for tampering in which Coleman agrees but does not sign till grnerally UFA starts and Seattle picks someone else from tampa

Yep July 18 to 20th.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Ryan Mc is the wild card if available. He can be a 1/2 D for them ASAP(ideally not 1). He would be the best player available for this year. But as mentioned previously he may not age well.

Killorn and Palat on their deals are for sure safer choices than Ryan Mc.

Joseph and C Foote on their salaries I would totally get those choices as well.

But Coleman signing rights? Way down the list.

Do you remember New Jersey Coleman? He's playing a role right now to win cups. When he goes back to a weak team he will go back to piling up chances. On a team like Seattle, the sky is the limit.

The biggest take-away from the Vegas draft was that there were more stars in the NHL than spaces for them to excel. This adds more spaces and it benefits players like Coleman, in the same way it benefitted March, Karlsson etc.

Of your list of names, I'm taking Coleman over every one of them but Palat. Asterisk being how much he demands in FA.

Again I don't know why you keep referencing signing rights. We are not talking about that. Seattle has an exclusive window to sign him. We're just talking about signing. I am anyway.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Do you remember New Jersey Coleman? He's playing a role right now to win cups. When he goes back to a weak team he will go back to piling up chances. On a team like Seattle, the sky is the limit.

The biggest take-away from the Vegas draft was that there were more stars in the NHL than spaces for them to excel. This adds more spaces and it benefits players like Coleman, in the same way it benefitted March, Karlsson etc.

Of your list of names, I'm taking Coleman over every one of them but Palat. Asterisk being how much he demands in FA.

Again I don't know why you keep referencing signing rights. We are not talking about that. Seattle has an exclusive window to sign him. We're just talking about signing. I am anyway.
And how many pending free agents did Vegas draft?

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019

That is what the Flyers did with Kevin Hayes. It cost them a 5th. Not Palat. Not Foote. Not Joseph. a 5th. That is Coleman's value right now. You are only looking at Coleman the player and ignoring the cost to sign him. But But I am saying signed. If you are Coleman what would have to be paid to forfeit free agency so close? 5 years and 28m? 7 years 40 million? It sure ain't one year at 2m.

Lets take Oilers as example. Of course RNH is a better player than say Bear. But you expansion draft Bear 1000000 out of 1000000 because of the cost of what RNH's contract will be.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
That is what the Flyers did with Kevin Hayes. It cost them a 5th. Not Palat. Not Foote. Not Joseph. a 5th. That is Coleman's value right now. You are only looking at Coleman the player and ignoring the cost to sign him. But But I am saying signed. If you are Coleman what would have to be paid to forfeit free agency so close? 5 years and 28m? 7 years 40 million? It sure ain't one year at 2m.

Lets take Oilers as example. Of course RNH is a better player than say Bear. But you expansion draft Bear 1000000 out of 1000000 because of the cost of what RNH's contract will be.

I'm really at a loss for this constant mention of Hayes. The only connection he has to this conversation is your avatar. Are you related to him?

This is not a rights conversation.

Can you please explain to me why you're talking about trading FA rights? There is a massive disconnect here and I don't know how to solve it for you.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I'm really at a loss for this constant mention of Hayes. The only connection he has to this conversation is your avatar. Are you related to him?

Can you please explain to me why you're talking about trading FA rights? There is a massive disconnect here and I don't know how to solve it for you.
I am at a loss how you don't see the connection. Hayes was ufa. Coleman is ufa. Is that complicated?

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019

YES THIS IS A RIGHTS ISSUE. You are paying the rights to sign before anyone else.
But But But I said signed.
I get it. And what do you think he signs for to forfeit free agency? 7 years 40 million? 5 years 28?

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
I am at a loss how you don't see the connection. Hayes was ufa. Coleman is ufa. Is that complicated?

Seattle gets an exclusive window before the rest of the league to negotiate with soon-to-be free agents. They don't need to pay anything. If you scroll up a few posts I already shared a link explaining the time line.

Seattle does not need to pay anything to sign him. Zero need to discuss rights.

If you have any more questions let me know.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Seattle gets an exclusive window before the rest of the league to negotiate with soon-to-be free agents. They don't need to pay anything. If you scroll up a few posts I already shared a link explaining the time line.

Will you ever respond to the salary Coleman will require and take off your horse blinders?

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
This is not complicated you do not forfeit Foote, Palat, Killorn, etc, for the rights to overpay for Coleman. I have no questions for someone who doesn't get that basic fact.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Will you ever respond to the salary Coleman will require and take off your horse blinders?

Start a new thread about Coleman's salary if you like. Wasn't the purpose of the thread. Hes an example, we could could have this about Goodrow.

But I'd try to sign him to a 5 year contract. He doesn't have much wear on his tires and he's a great skater.
I think he ages gracefully for next 4 years and you have to add a year to get a FA.

I also think Seattle would be attractive to a guy with a cup or two. He can be one of "the guy"s.

Above a certain price I'd walk away but I'm not in the room negotiating. Offer 4 by 5 or 5 by 4. Negotiate from there.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019

Break it down real simple
Seattle will not take Landeskog and forfeit Graves.
Seattle will not take RNH and forfeit Bear
Seattle will not forfeit a D man to sign Hamilton.
Seattle will not forfeit Allen/Ben C. to sign Tatar.

try the veal.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Start a new thread about Coleman's salary if you like. Wasn't the purpose of the thread. Hes an example, we could could have this about Goodrow.

But I'd try to sign him to a 5 year contract. He doesn't have much wear on his tires and he's a great skater.
I think he ages gracefully for next 4 years and you have to add a year to get a FA.

I also think Seattle would be attractive to a guy with a cup or two. He can be one of "the guy"s.

Above a certain price I'd walk away but I'm not in the room negotiating. Offer 4 by 5 or 5 by 4. Negotiate from there.
So ignore the facts of Coleman's salary. Read the book Moneyball before you post again.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Break it down real simple
Seattle will not take Landeskog and forfeit Graves.
Seattle will not take RNH and forfeit Bear
Seattle will not forfeit a D man to sign Hamilton.
Seattle will not forfeit Allen/Ben C. to sign Tatar.

try the veal.

I'm trying my best to keep you on topic but this is sprawling. I've made my proposal and you're angrily talking around it. Have at it.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I'm trying my best to keep you on topic but this is sprawling. I've made my proposal and you're angrily talking around it. Have at it.
I'll go slow.
I know facts are getting in the way of your proposal.

If you are a team that is deep Seattle will not take the free agent. You will take the player. RNH is better than Bear. We all get it. But to forfeit Bear to pay RNH 7yrX.8.5 m is stupid. Its is beyond stupid to sign Coleman for say 5*28 than take Joseph or Foote and sign different 5m free agent.

If you understand the above is stupid then you will see
RNH>Coleman ergo if you went after a ufa it ain't Coleman. Is that too deep for you or am I getting too off track for you to understand?
Foote and 4.5 in cap space player> Coleman
Joseph and 4.5m cap space player> Coleman
Johnson and youth/draft picks to dump Johnson> Coleman
The above are no brainers.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
I'll go slow.
I know facts are getting in the way of your proposal.

If you are a team that is deep Seattle will not take the free agent. You will take the player. RNH is better than Bear. We all get it. But to forfeit Bear to pay RNH 7yrX.8.5 m is stupid. Its is beyond stupid to sign Coleman for say 5*28 than take Joseph or Foote and sign different 5m free agent.

RNH>Coleman ergo if you went after a ufa it ain't Coleman. Is that too deep for you or am I getting too off track for you to understand?

This is a discussion on hockey. I think you should take a look in the mirror and think about how you handle when people challenge you.

It's not a good look and I think your life will improve if you address it.

Take care.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
This is a discussion on hockey. I think you should take a look in the mirror and think about how you handle when people challenge you.

It's not a good look and I think your life will improve if you address it.

Take care.
So ignore facts.
Go snarky.
Never admit I was wrong even if 5 better solutions are presented that signing Coleman
Ignore salary cap who needs that.
LOVE IT!

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
So ignore facts.
Go snarky.
Never admit I was wrong even if 5 better solutions are presented that signing Coleman
Ignore salary cap who needs that.
LOVE IT!

If you want a conversation about hockey maybe we can do that when you've had chance to get your emotions under control.

I don't owe you anything. Enjoy your Sunday.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
If you want a conversation about hockey maybe we can do that when you've had chance to get your emotions under control.

I don't owe you anything. Enjoy your Sunday.
See hockey learn hockey below

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
Bolts will be fine. Stamkos goes to LTIR for the regular season, but back for playoffs.:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->