News: Seattle Kraken Expansion Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Price playing 4D chess. BC guy wants to get closer to home convinces bergevin nobody gonna pick him anyway; and kaboom! :laugh:

Yeah, this is the REAL kicker. Prince playing in Seattle moves him closer to family, which, in the end, is the only thing that matters.
Add that the Habs are likely to regress this year...ya gotta think he's on the line with Ron Francis and polishing his Kraken-mobile as we speak.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
What make you think any of the TB guys are available?

The Lightning HAVE to lose one player. If they were to trade Gourde for draft picks, for example, they would then lose Killorn or Palat to Seattle.

They have no reason to make such a trade, because then they're down two players instead of one.

Actually we do have a reason. Even losing just Gourde does not help us with the cap situation. Two have to go, sadly.:(

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Yeah, this is the REAL kicker. Prince playing in Seattle moves him closer to family, which, in the end, is the only thing that matters.
Add that the Habs are likely to regress this year...ya gotta think he's on the line with Ron Francis and polishing his Kraken-mobile as we speak.

I think Price still has some solid years in him before he becomes a buyout candidate; I think him being closer to family now that he has kids and in the same time zone too lol might help.

This also gives habs cap room to make moves to improve their roster such that they don't regress much.

It might be a win-win scenario

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Man, feel like Seattle could have a better team than Vegas on paper after this draft.
They could on paper but I doubt it. For one, Seattle isn’t going to take on all of these big names that are unprotected. I doubt they take duchene or ryjo for example. Doubt they even take tarasenko when Dunn is there. Will be interesting to see if they do take one of Nashville’s centers though

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I just drafted a team on CapFriendly and the hardest thing to do is actually stay under the cap. You can easily get a solid top-9 of forwards and top-4 on D but it will cost you around $65M for that alone which seems like a lot. It's actually much harder than I thought. There are too many options and a lot of the players are overpaid.

For exemple, I can't see them taking Giordano, Johansen or Price. Their cap hit is simply too high and they would pass up on other good players that are better value for what they're paid.

Of course, I believe Seattle is allowed to go over the cap by a bit and they could retain and trade players after the draft.

But realistically, they'll only take about 5-6 overpaid players and at least 10 kids and/or minimum salary players

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Very good points. McPhee was a consensus a "stupid" GM before the Vegas job. Now he's considered a mastermind.

He was never a "stupid GM". He mostly did a ton of good for the Caps outside of Forsberg/Erat trade. Most of that cup winning Caps team consisted of players drafted or acquired by McPhee.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
So what do you have as a club. Heres mine, without any deal

Voracek Duchene Tarasenko
Gourde Domi Donskoii
Tanev Mccaan Acciari
Appleton Donato Virtanen
Extra: Benson, Fischer

DeAngelo Zadorov
Bean Clague
Butcher Fleury

extra: Zboril, Aho, Borgen, Cholowski, Kylington

Price
Vanecek

Daccord
Kahkonen
Point

74 milions
Lol, I’d love to see DeAngelo in Seattle. the PR dept gotta earn their money!

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
Very good points. McPhee was a consensus a "stupid" GM before the Vegas job. Now he's considered a mastermind.
FWIW, I think McPhee is an excellent talent scout and also sensed an opportunity to really take advantage of the expansion draft, but as a GM generally he wasn't so hot and indeed they let him go within two years. Dirty Harry Rule applies here: "A man has got to know his limitations."

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
What make you think any of the TB guys are available?

The Lightning HAVE to lose one player. If they were to trade Gourde for draft picks, for example, they would then lose Killorn or Palat to Seattle.

They have no reason to make such a trade, because then they're down two players instead of one.

They're available because Tampa needs to shed cap. So if Seattle takes a higher salary player then one additional player would need to be moved. So they'll shop them and see which one they get the best offer for. They're losing 2 of Gourde, Palat, Killorn and Johnson regardless of what Seattle does.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
I just drafted a team on CapFriendly and the hardest thing to do is actually stay under the cap. You can easily get a solid top-9 of forwards and top-4 on D but it will cost you around $65M for that alone which seems like a lot. It's actually much harder than I thought. There are too many options and a lot of the players are overpaid.

For exemple, I can't see them taking Giordano, Johansen or Price. Their cap hit is simply too high and they would pass up on other good players that are better value for what they're paid.

Of course, I believe Seattle is allowed to go over the cap by a bit and they could retain and trade players after the draft.

But realistically, they'll only take about 5-6 overpaid players and at least 10 kids and/or minimum salary players
It is going to help Seattle that Washington has no state income tax, which means that for all home games the players will pocket somewhere between roughly 10% more than if they played in most cities (California players, for instance, pay an additional 13.3% every time they play at home). So, if Seattle can use that to nudge contracts down 5% or 10% in the aggregate, that will help them out.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
So now basically do we have to wait till wednesday night ?

And if they make a trade or sign a UFA will it be have to wait till wednesday night as well or will the so called insiders leak it

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
And here I thought that losing DeMelo during the playoffs was INCREDIBLY important to the team...lol

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
So now basically do we have to wait till wednesday night ?

And if they make a trade or sign a UFA will it be have to wait till wednesday night as well or will the so called insiders leak it

In theory somebody could announce it, but my guess is the NHL rather they have the 1 big reveal

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

Niederreiter - Gourde - Voracek
Zucker - McCann - Bailey
Jarnkrok - Gaudette - Appleton
Ritchie - Gambrell - Blackwell

Giordano - Larsson (sign)
Dunn (sign)- Jensen
Bowey - Fleury

Price
Kahkonen
Driedger

Extra:
F:Fischer. Lizotte, Greer
D: Harrington, MacDonald, Borgen, Cholowski
G: D'Accord

Which better value players would you get? Imo this is a competitive lineup, although it locks you out of UFA and there's a lot of guys that will need to be resigned fast...

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
There's some slam dunk picks IMO for Seattle.

Gourde, Demelo, McCann, Dunn/Tarasenko, Giordano, Niederreter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad