News: Seattle Kraken Expansion Draft Thread [Part II]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
For those criticizing the media... Do you also have a problem with the media when they're breaking news of trades on deadline day? Signings on the first day of free agency?

I understand not being happy with whoever in Seattle or the NHL was leaking all of the names. But the media here was just doing their jobs, the same thing they do in the scenarios above.

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
I understand passing on Price. 10 million is huge, and they had goalies available who could do the job for way less. And I understand passing on Duchene or Johansen, they're overpaid on long deals. And I understand passing on Tarasenko if they really feel he won't ever be the same with the shoulder issue...

But passing on so many big names, while being starved for scoring forwards, really looks like a mistake. Voracek or JVR, Drouin, Domi, how do you pass on all of them?

Domi isn't so overpaid he's an anchor. Taking Beyruthier(Sp?) is like just skipping Columbus altogether. Why?

Andreas Johnsson is a fast skilled guy who has hit 20 goals. A bad year, sure, in NJ. But Bastian is a nothing 4th line grinder. Why?

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
Anyone want to take a bet that Toronto loses to this sad sack team. Its what they do. Lost against a team that had covid. Lost to the Zamboni driver. 5 series first round loses.

Kraken will beat the Leafs first game. Book it, you seen it here first.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Calgary Mark Giordano LD $6,750,000 (UFA 2022) (ED - Mark Giordano) = (@50% ret) = $3,375,000 = 1st
Replacement is not 100% - Alex Goligoski Arizona +.

Columbus Max Domi C LW $5,300,000 UFA 2022 (ED - Gavin Bayreuther!!!) = (LTIR?) = (@50% ret) = $2,650,000 = 1st

Philadelphia James van Riemsdyk LW $7,000,000 UFA 2023 (ED - Carson Twarynski!!!) = (@50% ret) = $3,500,000 = 1st+

@0% ret:
- Chicago Nikita Zadorov LD/RD RFA (ED - John Quenneville)
- Winnipeg Dylan DeMelo RD $3,000,000 UFA 2024 (ED - Mason Appleton)

Not sure Giordano even at 50% gets a 1st, 2nd + B prospect is what they should shot for.

Why would you want Goligoski? He's not good, the D they drafted are better.

Domi is injred and will miss at least the first month. Who knows how he plays when he comes back cause he needs to learn another new system. Even at 50% retained I can't see anybody paying a 1st for him. You also can't put Domi on LTIR if you aren't exceeding the cap which Seattle won't do so he's taking up 5.3M in space. Bayreuther will pass through waivers so they get a nice vet for the AHL team.

Sure you could probably get a 1st for Van Reimsdyk at 50% retained. But now you've already taken up two of your retention spots for the season and one for next year as well. While also eating 5.5M in cash. They probably want to retain on Giordano, Jankrok and keep one open just in case for the deadline.

They drafted big LD in Oleksiak, Soucy and Fluery what do they need Zadorov for? Possibly move his rights for a mid pick. I guess it's better than nothing because that's what Quenneville is. Maybe he's there to be an AHL vet but you can sign those easily. Not a good pick but Zadorov wasn't a need.

DeMelo is a good player but Appleton is too. He's also younger with very good upside. They also need more offense than another defensman even if he's a RD which they are short.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I understand passing on Price. 10 million is huge, and they had goalies available who could do the job for way less. And I understand passing on Duchene or Johansen, they're overpaid on long deals. And I understand passing on Tarasenko if they really feel he won't ever be the same with the shoulder issue...

But passing on so many big names, while being starved for scoring forwards, really looks like a mistake. Voracek or JVR, Drouin, Domi, how do you pass on all of them?

Domi isn't so overpaid he's an anchor. Taking Beyruthier(Sp?) is like just skipping Columbus altogether. Why?

Andreas Johnsson is a fast skilled guy who has hit 20 goals. A bad year, sure, in NJ. But Bastian is a nothing 4th line grinder. Why?

Domi had surgery and will miss at least the start of the season while no one knows what's up with Drouin.

Voracek and JVR just aren't good contracts(hence them being left unprotected in an expansion draft) and Philly probably didn't want to add what Francis wanted.

Overall we still have to wait and see what happens from now until the start of the season to judge the job done by Francis.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Calgary Mark Giordano LD $6,750,000 (UFA 2022) (ED - Mark Giordano) = (@50% ret) = $3,375,000 = 1st

Columbus Max Domi C LW $5,300,000 UFA 2022 (ED - Gavin Bayreuther!!!) = (LTIR?) = (@50% ret) = $2,650,000 = 1st

Philadelphia James van Riemsdyk LW $7,000,000 UFA 2023 (ED - Carson Twarynski!!!) = (@50% ret) = $3,500,000 = 1st+

@0% ret:
Domi isn't returning a first, even at 50%

They drafted Giordano

Zadorov throws a lot of hits, but he is extremely undisciplined and bleeds high quality chances against. And once again, no one is giving up a first for him at the rumored asking price he is looking to cash in at. If he gets the money he is asking for he will be unmovable.

DeMelo is an average middle pairing guy that is not young anymore. Appleton is a coveted young wing that probably has about as much trade value as DeMelo, but has more value to Seattle since there are already a ton of D on their roster.

JVR might return a first with that retention, but not a high 1st, but that is a lot of cap to retain. Would Seattle's owners even agree to spend 7 million for a late 1st in a weak draft?

I feel like all of this is pretty unrealistic.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Where were there 1sts to be had? And how much cap would Seattle have had to take on to acquire them?

Seattle is exactly where they need to be right now in terms of cap flexibility.

There is a reason teams were trying to give away the big contracts that were exposed in the expansion draft.

Seattle grabbed several guys they will waive for Charlotte, this is not surprising. They have to move 7 guys that they were being forced to draft, which is a lot of players to try to shuffle around when there aren't many teams looking to take on cap.

With the current cap situation, there was a good chance that a lot of the mid-level guys with 3 to 5 million dollar cap hits could not be moved.

If Francis demotes them, Seattle is still on the hook for most of their cap hit.

He played it smart and safe, and the results make going forward and building a team much much easier.
He could have played it safe and ended up with exactly the same team PLUS some extra picks if he had been wiser amd not asked for the moon. The Allen situation is a prime example.

King 88

Mar 5, 2010

@0% ret:
What ever you smoking please stop. Its not good for you.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Voracek makes 8.25M the next 3 years. He would be there best forward but they wouldn't get good value for money. He's also 32 soon and slowing down. Van Reimsdyk is probably good for the next two years but maybe they think they can get Schwartz for 6x6. He's 3 years younger and would have a lower cap hit the next two seasons.

Is Drouin going to play next year? His numbers when he did play the past two seasons don't March his cap and brings some baggage, best to steer clear. Domi is hurt and will miss the start of the year. Most likely he would be traded at the deadline and if he doesn't play much won't build up any value. He also is paid 6M in cash and his 5.3M cap would go against the cap since they won't exceed it to need to use LTIR. And with Gourde out to start the year as well that's over 10M not being used.

Johnsson hasn't been that player in 3 years before he blew his knee out. He's washed and overpaid. Bastian was a better player last season, cheaper and much more potential. Much better pick.

Reactions: Irie

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

Could be side deals or hand shake deals where picks and or prospects are sent to Seattle for picking a guy like Bastian and Byruthier.
Then Seattle can use those assets to draft players or use them in a trade.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
He could have played it safe and ended up with exactly the same team PLUS some extra picks if he had been wiser amd not asked for the moon. The Allen situation is a prime example.
You mean he should have bluffed..... maybe he tried? We don't know. What we do know is that most GMs were more than happy to lose whatever player they exposed. The guys they exposed that were young and cheap aren't strong players. The older guys that are ok players all came with hefty cap hits.

It was going to be a win-win for the other GMs regardless of who Francis took, so they had very little incentive to give up much to influence Seattle's decision.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
You mean he should have bluffed..... maybe he tried? We don't know. What we do know is that most GMs were more than happy to lose whatever player they exposed. The guys they exposed that were young and cheap aren't strong players. The older guys that are ok players all came with hefty cap hits.

It was going to be a win-win for the other GMs regardless of who Francis took, so they had very little incentive to give up much to influence Seattle's decision.
He asked for two prospects and a pick to not take Allen. Had he been more reasonable Bergevin may have thrown him a pick or prospect for that and he cohld have gotten Fleury AND an extra asset. But he forced Bergevin into a corner and lost his gamble. Wasted opportunity to stockpile some extra assets. Ditto with not taking guys like Domi/Stenlund, Zadorov/DeHaan, And Braun who have more trade value than the nothings he ended up picking.

Reactions: Jdodd and Armourboy

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I agree, not getting a single pick, whether it's a first or seventh, to incentivize NOT taking a better player, is unconscionable.

Two seconds could have been packaged to move up in the first. Or trading pick No. 35 along with an extra third round pick.

It's not a finished product, but I'm unimpressed so far.

Reactions: PM and Jdodd

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
He asked for two prospects and a pick to not take Allen. Had he been more reasonable Bergevin may have thrown him a pick or prospect for that and he cohld have gotten Fleury AND an extra asset. But he forced Bergevin into a corner and lost his gamble. Wasted opportunity to stockpile some extra assets. Ditto with not taking guys like Domi/Stenlund, Zadorov/DeHaan, And Braun who have more trade value than the nothings he ended up picking.
Rumor is not fact, we don't know what was actually offered or not. These rumors often have a way being completely unfounded more often than not.

Domi's hurt and there are some issues there, and he has a large cap hit. He'd be a risky pickup for sure.

At 4.5 and 30 years old, DeHaan does not have the value he used to. I know he was a healthy scratch a lot of times last season, and he's been on a downward trend since leaving the island.

There is a very good chance Braun and Zadarov at this reported asking price have zero trade value. Francis would have to waive them and if there were no takers, pay most of their salary and caphit still.

Seattle will have to shed 7 players minimum. That is going to be easier said than done with this years cap situation. Getting stuck with any of these contracts has to be a real concern. It's a different time.

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
Francis did an absolute awful job. I understand that some teams have nothing to give. But the teams that did, they constantly chose the wrong guy.
Kieffer Bellows should have been selected from the Isles. They helped out Lou by taking Eberle. Bellows may be the better player next year and has more years of control and is much cheaper.
There are no right handed defensemen available. And the one with the most potential is Cal Foote. He is 21 years old. They could have sent a pick to TBL for gourde. Try getting Foote. He is untouchable now as TBL needs cheap contracts that will play above their contract value. Who doesn't want that?
Colin Blackwell has heart, I will give him that. But it ends there. He is incredibly weak, gets pushed off the puck too easily. Hard to watch. Do some weights in the offseason.. Should have taken Gauthier (Has never had an opportunity to play in the top 9). Has dominated every league he's played in.
Lastly, if you are going to proceed with this roster, how do you not take on bad contracts and acquire picks/prospects?

Reactions: PM and Jdodd

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I agree, not getting a single pick, whether it's a first or seventh, to incentivize NOT taking a better player, is unconscionable.

Two seconds could have been packaged to move up in the first. Or trading pick No. 35 along with an extra third round pick.

It's not a finished product, but I'm unimpressed so far.

How do you know teams were offering picks to not take certain players? I doubt Philadelphia was trying to protect Voracek or Van Reimsdyk from being selected, they probably were hoping they would which would give them much needed cap space and a roster shake up. I know Tampa was willing to let Seattle take whoever they wanted. So unless you know what deals they passed up you can't say they messed up just yet.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Rumor is not fact, we don't know what was actually offered or not. These rumors often have a way being completely unfounded more often than not.

Domi's hurt and there are some issues there, and he has a large cap hit. He'd be a risky pickup for sure.

At 4.5 and 30 years old, DeHaan does not have the value he used to. I know he was a healthy scratch a lot of times last season, and he's been on a downward trend since leaving the island.

There is a very good chance Braun and Zadarov at this reported asking price have zero trade value. Francis would have to waive them and if there were no takers, pay most of their salary and caphit still.

Seattle will have to shed 7 players minimum. That is going to be easier said than done with this years cap situation. Getting stuck with any of these contracts has to be a real concern. It's a different time.
Zadorov can be a useful player even if his team use him as a one year rental and just take his one year arbitration number which shouldn't be a big raise on what he made last season.

Braun had a good season in the top 4 and only has one year left at a reasonable caphit at a time when big shutdown Dmen are in short supply. They easily could have gotten some value there especially with some retention.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
How do you know teams were offering picks to not take certain players? I doubt Philadelphia was trying to protect Voracek or Van Reimsdyk from being selected, they probably were hoping they would which would give them much needed cap space and a roster shake up. I know Tampa was willing to let Seattle take whoever they wanted. So unless you know what deals they passed up you can't say they messed up just yet.
Several analysts say that Francis overplayed his hand. Lebrun mentioned the price to not take Allen as two prospects and a pick.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Several analysts say that Francis overplayed his hand. Lebrun mentioned the price to not take Allen as two prospects and a pick.

We don't know yet what deals were offered to him that he turned down. That one he offered to Bergevin who said no. Francis could've been told by another team if they took Allen they'd trade 1 pick + prospect for him so he asked Bergevin if he would beat that. We also don't know what picks or prospects it was, could've been late ones a nobody prospects. Fluery is still young and a RD, which Seattle is short, so he could become better than what they would've got.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
For those criticizing the media... Do you also have a problem with the media when they're breaking news of trades on deadline day? Signings on the first day of free agency?

I understand not being happy with whoever in Seattle or the NHL was leaking all of the names. But the media here was just doing their jobs, the same thing they do in the scenarios above.
Exactly. No one put a gun to anyone's head and made them check Twitter or HF yesterday before the selection show. If you don't like having news leaked don't consume the mediums in which that information is spread.

But the only thing fans enjoy more than cheering for a winner is complaining.

Reactions: Icarium
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese