News: Seattle Kraken Expansion Draft Thread [Part II]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
Domi had surgery and will miss at least the start of the season while no one knows what's up with Drouin.

Voracek and JVR just aren't good contracts(hence them being left unprotected in an expansion draft) and Philly probably didn't want to add what Francis wanted.

Overall we still have to wait and see what happens from now until the start of the season to judge the job done by Francis.
No, we really don't. Just because the team will obviously look better at the start of the season than it does today doesn't mean the expansion draft wasn't a huge fail. As others have said, he could have extracted more reasonable assets and still taken the same players. If he wanted to take Fluery from Montreal, you don't think they would have thrown a couple 2nds or 3rds his way to avoid the Price drama? If a team wants you to stay away from a player that you have no intention of selecting anyway, you take whatever they will offer because it's all gravy. He missed on that opportunity repeatedly and its gone.

So that's not getting better and frankly the assessment of his performance yesterday can only actually get worse. The ability to get those assets above were gone the second he made the selection. Now the question becomes does it get worse. Does he waste 3.5 million that could have better been spent on getting assets for a retained Tarasenko or JVR? Because if he doesn't spend this cap perfectly, he only looks more terrible.

Reactions: TaLoN

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Here's my thought process: Seattle thought that they could bully Chicago into getting a sweetener for Zadorov or De Haan and Chicago laughed in their faces, knowing that they already traded their cap problem in Keith. Hence Seattle took a nobody Group VI UFA when they no longer had any leverage.

And lets not forget that Quenneville spent the last season in AHL. Guy has 10 games/season average of playtime in NHL after 4 seasons, smells like a future 30 goals scorer on any team.

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
Exactly. No one put a gun to anyone's head and made them check Twitter or HF yesterday before the selection show. If you don't like having news leaked don't consume the mediums in which that information is spread.

But the only thing fans enjoy more than cheering for a winner is complaining.
If anything, we should send them a thank you gift basket for saving us from having to watch that dreck last night

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Safe to assume that all the players who were presented to the crowd will be in the lineup for the 1st game of the season? I initially thought Giordano would be selected and traded. But I guess that Francis wants to keep a player that has experience as an NHL captain. He's also a guy who never got drafted and worked his way up to NHL stardom, so good model to establish team philosophy and identity.

Reactions: uncleben

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
No, we really don't. Just because the team will obviously look better at the start of the season than it does today doesn't mean the expansion draft wasn't a huge fail. As others have said, he could have extracted more reasonable assets and still taken the same players. If he wanted to take Fluery from Montreal, you don't think they would have thrown a couple 2nds or 3rds his way to avoid the Price drama? If a team wants you to stay away from a player that you have no intention of selecting anyway, you take whatever they will offer because it's all gravy. He missed on that opportunity repeatedly and its gone.

So that's not getting better and frankly the assessment of his performance yesterday can only actually get worse. The ability to get those assets above were gone the second he made the selection. Now the question becomes does it get worse. Does he waste 3.5 million that could have better been spent on getting assets for a retained Tarasenko or JVR? Because if he doesn't spend this cap perfectly, he only looks more terrible.

I agree. I can't see a big impact UFA choosing to sign in Seattle before going else where with the squad Seattle currently has.

I mean sure, you can always find that guy who wants a big paycheck and Seattle is the one to give it to him, but most of UFA's want to be competitive and make playoffs/have a chance at the cup. Nothing right now in Seattle looks like the playoffs are the next goal.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
We'll learn about side trades in 13 minutes, right?
what time does the trade freeze end?
NHL said:
At 3 p.m. this afternoon, a trade and waiver freeze goes into effect, locking rosters into place as the Team 32, the Seattle Kraken prepare for the 2021 Expansion Draft. The expansion draft picks will be announced on Wednesday, July 21, at 8 p.m. on ESPN2.
Seattle will be the only team allowed to sign players to contracts during this period, and they can also make “side-deals” with the existing teams that will be finalized by the NHL once the freeze is lifted.
The freeze will be lifted on Thursday, July 22 at 1 p.m EDT. After that point, all the teams will return to normal operations and proceed to the entry draft portion of this truncated offseason on July 23, when the first round of the 2021 Draft will be held virtually.

so...1h30 to go

Reactions: Leafslet

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Depending on the timeframe of Gourde & who they keep, that defense could have them in the running for one of the 3 Pacific spots.

As for the future, who knows.

Reactions: Bulis hit

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006
Francis came our saying Vegas let other teams off the hook.

Looking awful now. Let's see what side deals he has at noon. Otherwise foot in mouth

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
the good old days when the VGK were a pile of dog shit... :laugh: :facepalm:

VGK - Expansion Draft Thread I
VGK - Expansion Draft Thread II

same here... unless the side deals are incredible (if there's any), this team will be a bottom feeders for years in the Pacific

Gosh, it's almost as if maybe we should wait and see how the team does in their first year, before writing their eulogy before the season even starts.

That said, I wouldn't pick them to go on some miracle run to the finals like Vegas did. But "bottom feeder for years"? Pump the brakes on that talk. :laugh:

Reactions: BatVader
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad