News: Seattle Kraken Expansion Draft Thread [Part II]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I think some of these posts rationalizing or defending Francis' approach last night make good points, even reassuring points. However, I don't see how anyone can fail to acknowledge that even with only a miniscule amount of smarts and imagination, he could have stocked the cupboard with a lot more draft picks at no cost to his "cap space" master plan through the simple expedient of better drafting.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
We don't know yet what deals were offered to him that he turned down. That one he offered to Bergevin who said no. Francis could've been told by another team if they took Allen they'd trade 1 pick + prospect for him so he asked Bergevin if he would beat that. We also don't know what picks or prospects it was, could've been late ones a nobody prospects. Fluery is still young and a RD, which Seattle is short, so he could become better than what they would've got.

We do know he left the expansion draft completely empty handed. Just the 30 selections, many were good, but others which make zero sense.

Vegas left theirs with 10 trades. Francis couldn't settle on one?

Reactions: TaLoN

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Gosh, it's almost as if maybe we should wait and see how the team does in their first year, before writing their eulogy before the season even starts.

That said, I wouldn't pick them to go on some miracle run to the finals like Vegas did. But "bottom feeder for years"? Pump the brakes on that talk. :laugh:
Have you seen Hakstol coach? He’s no Gallant. He’s quite possibly the worst coach in the league.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Hockeytown USA
Have you seen Hakstol coach? He’s no Gallant. He’s quite possibly the worst coach in the league.
He had a lot of success in college, and he never had a losing record in his three years in the NHL (went to the playoffs two of those years, even if defeated in the first round), which doesn't exactly sound like the "worst coach" -- I could probably point out at least 10 current coaches with worse records. Plus, Hakstol has had a couple of years to sit on the sidelines and think about things, which might prove an intangible advantage, or not. Anyway, I'd give him until mid-season before starting to pass judgment -- there is not a coach in the league who wouldn't get ulcers putting a team together where nobody has played with each other.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I wonder how many deals Seattle made. I mean, we now know they made zero deals to avoid taking somebody, or else those would have been announced before yesterday afternoon. So, now it is all about the 30 players he currently has.

Francis can't really afford to trade Gourde, he is his No. 1 center by default! And he is going to miss time. He can't really afford to trade Eberle, McCann or Donskoi because where are the goals going to come from? He has 11 defensemen, but one is an AHLer who needs a contract, one is a 7-8 D-man at best and then he has nine more. Assuming he keeps 8, he probably trades one defenseman. Pitlick is superfluous, so I assume he will be moved. I also assume that he is bringing in Vatrano from Florida (as was rumored). But that whole Giordano, Blackwell thing? Is that still happening, after Giordano was there yesterday to greet the fans and all that?

Francis better hope UFA's other than defensive defensemen want to play for his team.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I wonder how many deals Seattle made. I mean, we now know they made zero deals to avoid taking somebody, or else those would have been announced before yesterday afternoon. So, now it is all about the 30 players he currently has.

Francis can't really afford to trade Gourde, he is his No. 1 center by default! And he is going to miss time. He can't really afford to trade Eberle, McCann or Donskoi because where are the goals going to come from? He has 11 defensemen, but one is an AHLer who needs a contract, one is a 7-8 D-man at best and then he has nine more. Assuming he keeps 8, he probably trades one defenseman. Pitlick is superfluous, so I assume he will be moved. I also assume that he is bringing in Vatrano from Florida (as was rumored). But that whole Giordano, Blackwell thing? Is that still happening, after Giordano was there yesterday to greet the fans and all that?

Francis better hope UFA's other than defensive defensemen want to play for his team.
I highly doubt they trade any of the players who were introduced live to the crowd yesterday, (Gio, Eberle, etc…), as why introduce them just to trade them…but all those who had their names just read out are options.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Hockeytown USA
We do know he left the expansion draft completely empty handed. Just the 30 selections, many were good, but others which make zero sense.

Vegas left theirs with 10 trades. Francis couldn't settle on one?
Francis did preserve some cap space, which he might need later in the season if some guys don't work out. It is to be remembered that a player may look fabulous on a stat sheet but not fit into the chemistry of a particular team, and trying to predict that in advance can be pretty difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad