News: Seattle Kraken Expansion Draft Thread [Part II]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
So not one team made a deal at all to not get Seattle not to pick a certain player or to take a certain player? Or is it only because this type of trades won’t be announced till later?
Francis set his price too high and lost.

For example, LeBrun says the price to not select Jake Allen was "two prospects and a pick". Bergevin called Francis' bluff and Francis walked away with just Fleury. Had Francis not been so greedy he easily could have walked away with Fleury AND a reasonable pick/prospect for not taking Allen.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
This expansion draft was a huge let down. Every player was leaked beforehand and so the only reason people turned in was for trades. No trades until tomorrow? Sorry Seattle for those insiders who ruined the hype.
I'm happy that I missed it.

They (hockey journalists) should have to sign some type or NDA or something. They literally leaked basically every pick hours before the draft. Bush league type of shit...

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
I'm expecting them to grossly overpay Danault & Landeskog. They have the capspace and they need help, they put together a very meh team at best.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
I know you dont to pick guys like Duchene, Voracek, Johansen and Skinner but I would have taken Niederreiter (even Domi) and flip him at the deadline for a 1st or 2nd + . (Upcoming UFA)

He'd play on the 1st line and 1st pp.
Should've picked Voracek, he'd put up points, he's still a good top 6 fwd. Or retain $$1-2M and maximize his value. That's easily a 1st rounder in return if they retain $2M.

Reactions: banks and mondo3

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
I'm expecting them to grossly overpay Danault & Landeskog. They have the capspace and they need help, they put together a very meh team at best.

Overpaying a shutdown center who can't score would be the worst thing for this team

If they over pay Phil Francis should be fired ( although he was a god in the playoffs).

If anything they should go nuts on the RFA market idk.

So weird,

Any team that lost an NHL player to these guys should be embarrassed

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
They had a unique opportunity to create assets off of nothing but a threat. Ie a chance no other team in the league had... create assets from nothing more than an idea. They took that opportunity and treated it like a gun to teams heads by asking astronomical prices to point that gun away.

Teams did not flinch, called their bluff. Made no deals.

How did Seattle respond? By doing teams a favor by leaving those extra valuable players alone anyway, and creating a rather mediocre roster, generating zero extra assets in the process.

Now? They're just like any other team in the league. Can make moves to move their mediocre players, or deals to absorb bad contracts and selling off their cap space.

HUGE opportunity lost, and they are worse off for it.
For sure. They should've taken Zadorov! A lot of teams would be interested in trading for him.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Serravalli at 1PM tomorrow:

tenor.gif
Lmao.

He'll probably ruin that shit too! Probably announce every trade a few hours beforehand.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Even if you don't flip him. I just don't get not taking Price and Tarasenko. You're an expansion team and you are gifted with two legitimate superstars available. Why wouldn't you take them?
Do you even watch hockey? Tarasenko's shoulders are trash, he's not what he used to be.

Price has been mediocre for years, 1 good playoffs run doesn't change that. You're dumb if you choose Price. The future $10.5M backup.

But they should've picked Baikey, Zadorov and Voracek.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I thought...maybe I still have to worry there is a side deal to get Price.

Then I saw their roster.

About the only one is overpaid Oleksiak, maybe Gourde and a whole lot of bottom 6 and 7th defenseman.

Good luck to Seattle fans. May you have the patience of a mountain....

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Even if you don't flip him. I just don't get not taking Price and Tarasenko. You're an expansion team and you are gifted with two legitimate superstars available. Why wouldn't you take them?

Because Price is going to the doctor on Friday.

Toe fungus.

He played hardball with Bbinz...and lost bigly. He got Flesury, an AHLer that a pile of Hab prospect are or about to eat his lunch. Anyone could of had him for a 3rd.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The picks they made seem pretty bad. Could of had Zadorov, they pick Quenneville. Voracek, Bailey, and some others and they pick guys who don't even necessarily have much room to improve.

While Gourde is a good pick, why do you not make Tb pay you for taking someone else?

Reactions: banks

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
I'm happy that I missed it.

They (hockey journalists) should have to sign some type or NDA or something. They literally leaked basically every pick hours before the draft. Bush league type of shit...
Sign an NDA... with who? The agents leaking the stuff to them? Reporters were just doing their job by, get this, reporting.

Blame the league for stupidly having the picks due to 10 hours before they were announced as if it wasn't going to leak the second the players' agents were informed. Just have a live draft like, you know, every professional league has every year.

The only thing that would've been lost is that Jordan Eberle would not be there in person to wave to the few hundred fans in attendance. I think they would have survived.

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021
I have written repeatedly:
Before the expansion draft, there are Seattle and the rest of the teams.
After the expansion draft, Seattle is a regular NHL team.
2021-22 - PROJECTED CAP HIT: $ 52,548,333, PROJECTED CAP SPACE: $ 28,951,667.
Is this Ron Francis's goal? Seven teams have less projected cap hits.
We do not yet know what deals have been made.
Many strange solutions. There are no contracts with some players (UFA).
Ron Francis was weak in the expansion draft. The damage to the team has already been done.
Seattle lost 2-3 1st. This damage can no longer be fixed.
Few players for a profitable exchange. Of course, Kraken will sign new contracts. There may be exchanges.
Even now - Seattle is obliged to go to the playoffs of the 2021/22 season.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Should've picked Voracek, he'd put up points, he's still a good top 6 fwd. Or retain $$1-2M and maximize his value. That's easily a 1st rounder in return if they retain $2M.
He’s a playoff no show and still cost too much cash for what he brings. They are better off throwing that cap space at Landeskog and putting some hustle behind the muscle.
If not, there’s not many out there who’d be a better culture shaping captain then Landy. I expect him to be overpaid, but at this stage in the game this is where the Kracken can throw it around a bit.
However, Bailey was a missed opportunity IMO, he could have been like their Swiss Army knife in the top 9

Reactions: Irie

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I have written repeatedly:
Before the expansion draft, there are Seattle and the rest of the teams.
After the expansion draft, Seattle is a regular NHL team.
2021-22 - PROJECTED CAP HIT: $ 52,548,333, PROJECTED CAP SPACE: $ 28,951,667.
Is this Ron Francis's goal? Seven teams have less projected cap hits.
We do not yet know what deals have been made.
Many strange solutions. There are no contracts with some players (UFA).
Ron Francis was weak in the expansion draft. The damage to the team has already been done.
Seattle lost 2-3 1st. This damage can no longer be fixed.
Few players for a profitable exchange. Of course, Kraken will sign new contracts. There may be exchanges.
Even now - Seattle is obliged to go to the playoffs of the 2021/22 season.
Where were there 1sts to be had? And how much cap would Seattle have had to take on to acquire them?

Seattle is exactly where they need to be right now in terms of cap flexibility.

There is a reason teams were trying to give away the big contracts that were exposed in the expansion draft.

Seattle grabbed several guys they will waive for Charlotte, this is not surprising. They have to move 7 guys that they were being forced to draft, which is a lot of players to try to shuffle around when there aren't many teams looking to take on cap.

With the current cap situation, there was a good chance that a lot of the mid-level guys with 3 to 5 million dollar cap hits could not be moved.

If Francis demotes them, Seattle is still on the hook for most of their cap hit.

He played it smart and safe, and the results make going forward and building a team much much easier.

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021
Where were there 1sts to be had? And how much cap would Seattle have had to take on to acquire them?

Seattle is exactly where they need to be right now in terms of cap flexibility.

There is a reason teams were trying to give away the big contracts that were exposed in the expansion draft.

Seattle grabbed several guys they will waive for Charlotte, this is not surprising. They have to move 7 guys that they were being forced to draft, which is a lot of players to try to shuffle around when there aren't many teams looking to take on cap.

With the current cap situation, there was a good chance that a lot of the mid-level guys with 3 to 5 million dollar cap hits could not be moved.

If Francis demotes them, Seattle is still on the hook for most of their cap hit.

He played it smart and safe, and the results make going forward and building a team much much easier.

Calgary Mark Giordano LD $6,750,000 (UFA 2022) (ED - Mark Giordano) = (@50% ret) = $3,375,000 = 1st
Replacement is not 100% - Alex Goligoski Arizona +.

Columbus Max Domi C LW $5,300,000 UFA 2022 (ED - Gavin Bayreuther!!!) = (LTIR?) = (@50% ret) = $2,650,000 = 1st

Philadelphia James van Riemsdyk LW $7,000,000 UFA 2023 (ED - Carson Twarynski!!!) = (@50% ret) = $3,500,000 = 1st+

@0% ret:
- Chicago Nikita Zadorov LD/RD RFA (ED - John Quenneville)
- Winnipeg Dylan DeMelo RD $3,000,000 UFA 2024 (ED - Mason Appleton)

Reactions: Richard88

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
I’m going to reserve my judgement until I see the final Kraken team in action. Remember the responses 4 years ago here that McPhee got hosed and didn’t pick the best team
Took other GMs demands and received the players other teams didn’t want in exchanged for draft picks.
Everyone at HB say the Golden Knights were a team of 3rd line players and bottom pairing defenseman.
Turns out Vegas got the last laugh.
Not the same thing, not even close. Vegas selected 5 very good players and landed Fleury. Seattle selected average to below average goal tending. Seattles best forward is Eberle. Seattle will not be getting the last laugh. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad