News: Seattle Kraken Expansion Draft Thread [Part II]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Some hot takes on Seattle and Price in this thread.......
Habs are an AHL team without Price....and Weber missing a year. Mol$on has never once signed off on a total rebuild why would he now?

Tyrus

5 ft 7 in.
May 20, 2013
Some hot takes on Seattle and Price in this thread.......
Habs are an AHL team without Price....and Weber missing a year. Mol$on has never once signed off on a total rebuild why would he now?

The whole point of letting go of expensive over the hill players is to replace them with the freed up cap, not to hoard the money in a big pool like Scrooge McDuck.

IF Price were to be selected, I somewhat expect our GM to do something with the little 10.5m of cap hit he has attached to him.

Not that I actually believe Seattle will pick him, that'd be a suicidal move.

Reactions: HostileCapSpace

Tyrus

5 ft 7 in.
May 20, 2013
I love how Seattle's big day is now 90% about the Habs.

Center of the hockey world BABY ! Also we speak french here, have you heard?

It does make a bit of sense considering Price is by far the highest caliber player exposed.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The whole point of letting go of expensive over the hill players is to replace them with the freed up cap, not to hoard the money in a big pool like Scrooge McDuck.

IF Price were to be selected, I somewhat expect our GM to do something with the little 10.5m of cap hit of has attached to him. Not that I actually believe Seattle will pick him, that'd be a suicidal move.
You forget that the clown GM was hoarding money for 3 seasons......he couldn't spend it because he had NO idea on what he was doing...
Stay tuned...

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It's been a while since airchair GM'ing has been this much fun..

Landeskog - Domi - Tarasenko
Van Riemsdyk - Tierney - Järnkrok
Killorn - McCann - Appleton
Byron - Blackwell - Joseph
Shore - Gambrell

Giordano - Zadorov
Bean - Miller
Lyubushin/Butcher/Lauzon/Foote/Djoos

Kähkönen, Kaapo
Vanecek, Vitek
Driedger, Chris

Depth FW: Aston-Reese, Shore, Gambrell, Bellows/Koivula, Lind
Depth D: whoever's left of the 3rd pairing extravaganza, Hanley, Strand

Side deals: weaponize cap space to pick up Killorn, trade one or two of the D for the needy for picks/AHL prospects, sign an AHL goalie or two from overseas.
That's a damn interesting team. Does the cap space work, though? I mean, even if it does, but we are maxed out, that won't leave us enough wiggle room to make good deals. Still, I could live with this team real easy if it came to that.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I think Price might be the poison pawn in this scenario. Tempting but deadly. Not worth the risk, not worth the longterm commitment of assets; not worth all the upgrades we could get in other positions if we don't sign him.

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
That's a damn interesting team. Does the cap space work, though? I mean, even if it does, but we are maxed out, that won't leave us enough wiggle room to make good deals. Still, I could live with this team real easy if it came to that.
Was trying to figure out the cap but if it becomes too tight, could always not take a swing at Tierney, move Järnkrok to 2C and promote any one of those 3rd liners and that's few millions more. You can ship Gio out to A contender at the TDL too, and quite many pieces are interchangable.

Can't say I know too much about all The big names and where they're at nowadays, but taking Johansen/Duschene/Drouin or signing Danault seems pointless. Some hard omissions too obviously, due to cap reasons.

Reactions: kihei

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Who I think they should draft, but not necessarily will. Trying for a mix of a competitive team but taking some players that a future core could be built around. And minimizing cap anchors:

JVR (PHI) - Gourde (TB) - Domi (CBJ)
Neiderreiter - Duchene (NAS) - Eberle (NYI)
McCann (TOR) - Compher (COL) - Aston-Reese (PIT)
Benson (EDM) - Donato (SJ) - Merkley (NJ)
Gauthier (NYR), Fischer (ARI)

Giordano (CGY) - Demelo (WPG)
Reilly (BOS-UFA) - Stecher (DET)
Dunn (STL) - Jensen (WAS)
De Haan (CHI) - Kulak (MTL)

Driedger (FLA-UFA)
Kahkonen (MIN)
Forsberg (OTT)

Mascherin (DAL), Lizotte (LAK), Fischer (ARI), Chatfield (VAN), Borgen (BUF)

Easily a playoff team in the Pacific. Guys like Domi, Niederreiter, De Haan, JVR can be flipped with good performances. There's a very good blueline. I drafted quite a few Quad-A young-ish guys (Benson, Merkley, Gauthier, Mascherin, Lizotte, Borgen) with the hopes that there's a couple of hits in there. The only real anchor contract is Duchene - but he's still been very effective at chance creation, the finish has just betrayed him, Hopefully with another volume shooter (Eberle) and a greasy forechecker/retriever (Niederreiter) he can have a bounce back. I've selected Driedger and Reilly as UFAs, with the hopes of signing a 1A goaltender and top-four defenseman.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Bailey isn't a center in the NHL anymore and only plays there occasionally when injuries hit. No team would take him to be their second line center.

switch him and Appleton on the third line

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
Who I think they should draft, but not necessarily will. Trying for a mix of a competitive team but taking some players that a future core could be built around. And minimizing cap anchors:

JVR (PHI) - Gourde (TB) - Domi (CBJ)
Neiderreiter - Duchene (NAS) - Eberle (NYI)
McCann (TOR) - Compher (COL) - Aston-Reese (PIT)
Benson (EDM) - Donato (SJ) - Merkley (NJ)
Gauthier (NYR), Fischer (ARI)

Giordano (CGY) - Demelo (WPG)
Reilly (BOS-UFA) - Stecher (DET)
Dunn (STL) - Jensen (WAS)
De Haan (CHI) - Kulak (MTL)

Driedger (FLA-UFA)
Kahkonen (MIN)
Forsberg (OTT)

Mascherin (DAL), Lizotte (LAK), Fischer (ARI), Chatfield (VAN), Borgen (BUF)

Easily a playoff team in the Pacific. Guys like Domi, Niederreiter, De Haan, JVR can be flipped with good performances. There's a very good blueline. I drafted quite a few Quad-A young-ish guys (Benson, Merkley, Gauthier, Mascherin, Lizotte, Borgen) with the hopes that there's a couple of hits in there. The only real anchor contract is Duchene - but he's still been very effective at chance creation, the finish has just betrayed him, Hopefully with another volume shooter (Eberle) and a greasy forechecker/retriever (Niederreiter) he can have a bounce back. I've selected Driedger and Reilly as UFAs, with the hopes of signing a 1A goaltender and top-four defenseman.

You didn't take an Anaheim player in there.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I have a question for a little further down the road and apologize if it has been asked and answered elsewhere.

So Seattle has picked their 30 players in the ED. They've gone through camp and have selected their 23 man NHL roster - leaving 7 guys that can help them stock their AHL affiliate.

Will the guys they reassign to Charlotte have a waiver exemption because they were picked in the ED? How about anyone they trade for or sign? Would they get a one time waiver exemption or are they up for grabs for the league.

It seems to me that this period is intended to help Seattle stock an NHL organization with players that includes the 23 man roster and players at the AHL level. I would think that a waiver exemption would be appropriate, but I can't find the answer to that question and what specific rules there are, if any for players acquired this summer by ED, trade, waivers, or free agency if/when they need to be reassigned.

Thanks.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Sorry if it's off-topic but does anybody know if the TV-coverage of the Expansion Draft will be available in re-live afterwards?
Since it will take place at 2am German Time on a weekday and I have no clue where to watch this would be great.

You'll need some stream as there's nothing legally streamed in Germany.
It's on ESPN, Sportsnet, SN Now and TVA Sports.
Expansion Draft Details

Unless of course you just watch one of the youtubers streams.

GreenLine

May 24, 2021
switch him and Appleton on the third line
I don't think Appleton has ever played center in the NHL or even in the AHL. I know he's listed as one but I'm not sure when he last played the position.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Landeskog - Domi - Zucker
Gourde - Danault - Appleton
McCann - Tierney - Jarnkrok
Vatrano - Blackwell - Fischer
Giordano - Ghostisbehere
Zadorov - Dunn
Bean - Miller
Dreidger
Vanacek
Kahkonen

Comeau, Namestnikov, Johnsson, Donato, Virtanen, Fleury, Lauzon, Kahun, Bellows, Clague

Domi + Dunn + Bellows + #2 for Eichel? :naughty:

D needs some help, but a UFA/trade for a responsible 3/4 type would shore it up a bit. Clague, Lauzon, Bean all have nice potential. Flip Gio at 50% at the TDL and get a nice D prospect back :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad