Seattle Arena discussion, vol. XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
No. I save my apperances for when I think it will be more impactful.

Apparently so did many people:

https://twitter.com/AaronQ13Fox/status/909826811906760705

And Cool bird from WHL Seattle Thunderbirds is also there.

DKBY3tnUQAEJwGV.jpg

Not a Good look if you are a SODO proponent. This blew up in their face. They made a call for Sodo supporters, and instead Key supporters showed up.

Here again is the Hansen team's lack of understanding of how to play the political game at work. That said, it is good to see a lot of hockey representation down there.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ very interesting watch.... and yeah, thats really nice to see, all the support for the NHL, hockey fans... love the retro t-shirt on the Cupcake Lady. :laugh:

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Junior Hockey stepping up, and Now College Hockey stepping up with UW Ice Hockey team on hand:

DKBi7UZVoAEtoYg.jpg:large

Moreso for those of you from out of town since a lot of you probably before now didn't know the UW had a hockey team. Well, they do. It's not an interscholastic team like the ones back east such as Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, BU, et.al., but they are a "club" team that pays all of their own expenses with no financial support from the university. Perhaps the thinking might be that if this gets off the ground, then perhaps with a facility at their disposal (they currently rent rink time at the Sno-King facility in Mountlake Terrace IIRC), they might try to achieve interscholastic status and join Arizona State in that department, then probably have other Pac-12 schools (the LA and Bay Area schools come to mind) form their own teams and then we have a Pac-12 hockey conference.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

From Daniels. This was shown inside the meeting. Another sign it appears about who's probably greasing the skids behind the scenes. NHL in Seattle for the 20-21 season perhaps????

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Funny people don't quite understand that even if hansen gets the street vacation there was zero guarantees he would be getting the NBA back to Seattle and chances are just as good that the NBA looks elsewhere cause of no arena being built.

Yet people intentional ignore that and say well key arena = NBA dead forever.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Well in fairness, Hansen couldn't get an arena done a couple years ago as well.

That is the point. The Key Arena RFP/MOU has most definitely been fast tracked especially in comparison to the SODO process. And in comparison to the normal Seattle political process.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
I think I am a bit higher than you that it gets done.

Yeah, I'm giving the .5% for something extraordinary to happen.

The Hockey COmmunity was HUGE in the public commentary. Multiple hockey organizations, charities that HOckey groups supports

Loved the comment from the director of Washingtion Wild (All Girls Hockey club), saying NHL = More Ice = More kids playing hockey.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Funny people don't quite understand that even if hansen gets the street vacation there was zero guarantees he would be getting the NBA back to Seattle and chances are just as good that the NBA looks elsewhere cause of no arena being built.

Yet people intentional ignore that and say well key arena = NBA dead forever.

No doubt about it. It appears to me that the Key/OVG partnership is about 1-Music/Entertainment 2-NHL and 3-NBA. And there is no way the NBA will play as third fiddle. Maybe an arena pops up in Bellevue or Southcenter for them to be top dog. I doubt that but I don't see the NBA here very soon.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
No doubt about it. It appears to me that the Key/OVG partnership is about 1-Music/Entertainment 2-NHL and 3-NBA. And there is no way the NBA will play as third fiddle. Maybe an arena pops up in Bellevue or Southcenter for them to be top dog. I doubt that but I don't see the NBA here very soon.

That quite an assumption that NBA will be 3rd fiddle when we have no idea what OVG's plan is regard the NBA.

There is ways to address the NBA issue at key arena. NBA group = part of arena and NHL group. arena group part of NHL and NBA group. NHL group = part of arena and NBA group. Problem solved.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
That quite an assumption that NBA will be 3rd fiddle when we have no idea what OVG's plan is regard the NBA.

There is ways to address the NBA issue at key arena. NBA group = part of arena and NHL group. arena group part of NHL and NBA group. NHL group = part of arena and NBA group. Problem solved.

Just an opinion, not an assumption.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

Exactly, Tommy. Let's remember the ties these guys - Leiweke and Bonderman - have to the NBA. They're not going to ignore them, that's for sure......

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Exactly, Tommy. Let's remember the ties these guys - Leiweke and Bonderman - have to the NBA. They're not going to ignore them, that's for sure......

I am not saying OVG doesn't want the NBA at all. Just the opposite, that the NBA may not be ready for Seattle in this arrangement. You also have to consider what NBA teams are going for. Quite a hefty price tag for anyone, especially without total arena control. Just an opinion is all.

The NBA does not need Seattle. The NHL is a different story.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I am not saying OVG doesn't want the NBA at all. Just the opposite, that the NBA may not be ready for Seattle in this arrangement. You also have to consider what NBA teams are going for. Quite a hefty price tag for anyone, especially without total arena control. Just an opinion is all.

I already addressed that issue. NBA group part of Arena group. They would have just as much control of the arena as the NHL group would.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Seattle does not need the NBA, and to those who think otherwise I suggest you have your memories & attitudes checked. That was an abusive relationship. Move on already. I know I know... I'm a "baaad Maing, cruel, insensitive to the history of the Sonics & importance/popularity of BB & the NBA in Seattle" but come on already. The NBA doesnt deserve you nor have they earned your support & loyalty. What they have earned, what you should be bestowing upon them is contempt, disgust.... Whats more, the absence, removal (hopefully permanent) of the NBA from the equation solidifies, clears the field for the NHL & Seattle ownership, not having to compete for corporate & consumer dollars with "the other" (and completely inferior) indoor major league sport.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA

I think we're all a little guilty of overvaluing Seattle for the NHL. I think it will be a fine market, but the league has done fine without Seattle and the market isn't nearly as "juiced" for hockey as we all assume, today's attendance of hockey fans notwithstanding.

I hope it happens, but the only groups involved in this while thing that are completely in on Seattle is OVG and the City of Seattle itself. I think everyone will come, but this isn't an NFL to LA situation where there's groups lined up to come. That isn't working out well so far anyway, but I digress. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad