Seattle Arena discussion, vol. XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
I don't think the NHL cares about travel time remotely as much as people think; I suspect their bigger issue is TV start times. EDM/CGY being in the Central as opposed to the Pacific doesn't make a bit of difference in that regard, since the same number of their games will be 1 hour off the optimal start time either way; putting Arizona in the Central, however, significantly increases the number of 2 hour off start times for teams in the Central, which is bad for viewing numbers.

The league may decide otherwise, but I suspect looking at this only in terms of crow flies travel distance is missing the mark.

I agree TV Time zones are important. But I think its more than just the travel, but you are missing out on regional marketing opportunities. Which is not important to the NHL brass, but is important to those four teams. Edmonton/Calgary already have some of the largest travel times for the teams. Taking away its two closest potential rivals, you would think the NHL would have to throw a bone.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I've merged the two Seattle threads since we had some parallel discussion going on between the two. We're ready for NHL to Seattle Volume XIII.

I'm locking this one since we're just over 1,000 posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad