I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Thanks, BattleBorn and Fugu. So with that out of the way, have this for you:

Harrell is the SCC president and this will likely be the first interview of a city official (Mayor Murray or councilmembers) on this subject since the announcement yesterday. This is scheduled for 2:00 pm Pacific/5:00 pm Eastern on KJR radio's Ian Furness Show. Webstreamers can find it here:

http://sportsradiokjr.iheart.com/

Note that you may need an IHeart login to access the live stream, and it may or may not be available north of the border. That said, I'm sure you Canadian folks will probably be getting plenty of Chris Daniels on your air in the next few days so he'll be able to provide good info.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

keep it up, you're doing an excellent job:handclap:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I know someone brought up the Coyotes being in play here....... so here are a couple of tin foil thoughts.

First some known facts.

-- It will take 18-24 months for Seattle to have an arena ready.

-- The Coyotes have a real fluid situation in that their current lease allows for auto renewal on an annual basis.

-- AEG is involved with both cities.

Now taking those facts into consideration.... you have the following possibility.

The Coyotes (Barroway, IA owned whichever) would have a two year window to negotiate themselves a new arena within the Phoenix Metro area.

IF.... they get a new arena within Arizona then they will remain there and Seattle becomes a high possibility for expansion team #32.

IF.... they do not secure an arena within Arizona by the time the Seattle arena is ready then a relocation is a high probability. Which could include a sale.... or not.

So the question becomes "Can they survive in Arizona for two more years at Glendale??". This is where the league would probably step in and cover whatever losses occur knowing that there's an end to the situation one way or another. The trick of course would be the optics of it all. But as long as the Coyotes continue the work at remaining in AZ (or keep the facade of it at least) then there won't be that much of a backlash if the team continues to get better on the ice.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Like KJR's radio guys, I'm primarily all for whatever gets a new building and two teams with it. But...
I just don't see any way that the Sodo location isn't the better choice, hands down.

At least Harrell seems like he's still open to both locations.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Both sodo arena and Key arena has yes votes both have no votes.

Ultimately AEG/OVG need to convince SCC has to why their plans with barely to no traffic solution is better than sodo arena which has a traffic solution.

Its not a slam dunk for AEG/OVG nor is it a slam dunk for Sodo arena

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
AEG with Coleman or Hansen's SODO give Seattle the best chance for NHL first. Doubt if remolded Key or the SODo project will be completed till 2020.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
AEG with Coleman or Hansen's SODO give Seattle the best chance for NHL first. Doubt if remolded Key or the SODo project will be completed till 2020.

if sodo gets the street vacation it becomes a question of when hansen gets a NBA team or gets a NHL group that gets a NHL team to really know whats the timeline for sodo arena. Thats up in the air.

A number of fans in our fan base already declared that if a key arena plan happens we will get no teams period.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
if sodo gets the street vacation it becomes a question of when hansen gets a NBA team or gets a NHL group that gets a NHL team to really know whats the timeline for sodo arena. Thats up in the air.

A number of fans in our fan base already declared that if a key arena plan happens we will get no teams period.

I would tend to agree partially with this.

Both leagues will want to see the finished product of a remodeled Key (in my opinion) before granting a team. Because a remodel, there can he 1001 things that could (and will) go wrong.

SODO is a brand new building that you know the finished product will actually look like. Again, my opinion but I think both leagues would much rather work with a ''under construction Sodo'' rather than with a ''under renovation/remodel Key''.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I would tend to agree partially with this.

Both leagues will want to see the finished product of a remodeled Key (in my opinion) before granting a team. Because a remodel, there can he 1001 things that could (and will) go wrong.

SODO is a brand new building that you know the finished product will actually look like. Again, my opinion but I think both leagues would much rather work with a ''under construction Sodo'' rather than with a ''under renovation/remodel Key''.

Here's the issue only key arena plan will be built on spec.
Sodo arena was and always be team first then its under construction. Rather that is Hansen or the city, it will not be built on spec.

The leagues have the power to end the debate of sodo vs Key arena and say publicly we will only accept sodo arena but they won't.

If key arena get picked and NBA and NHL say no to that then its basically suburbs only and does both league want to play in the suburbs or do that want to be in Seattle proper.

Last edited:

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I can't imagine these two groups have not had some contact with NBA/NHL in regards to what they would expect from a renovated Key with the investment they are making. Makes no sense to me that the groups or even for the city not to get an unofficial ok if the RFP produces an acceptable arena to NBA/NHL specs in City Center. Of course anything is possible.

There is just too much talk in their proposals about NHL and NBA capacities for them to go forward and then after being built having it not acceptable to the leagues. I am not buying that premise.

If a renovated Key is the choice I believe the NHL and NBA will be back in Seattle.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Snovalley: the search with all the threads doesn't work :\ Thanks for making this. When things were really happening, Seattle just used to get a megathread. Then those were shut down until there were more real news. Then real news thread starts about that specific article, then basically become mega thread, until it dies down again lol :)

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Snovalley: the search with all the threads doesn't work :\ Thanks for making this. When things were really happening, Seattle just used to get a megathread. Then those were shut down until there were more real news. Then real news thread starts about that specific article, then basically become mega thread, until it dies down again lol :)

Sorry about the search not working. You're welcome on the threads, and I would propose another megathread now that we're going to be doing a lot of arena discussion in the coming months....

To that, Chris Daniels has a story up this morning on an interview he did with the mayor's point man on this discussion, a fellow named Brian Surratt. Mr. Surratt's going to become a very key player in all of this as the debate rolls along, so this is an interview worth watching. It's linked in the story.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/are...attle-economic-development-director/431176942

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Sorry about the search not working. You're welcome on the threads, and I would propose another megathread now that we're going to be doing a lot of arena discussion in the coming months....

To that, Chris Daniels has a story up this morning on an interview he did with the mayor's point man on this discussion, a fellow named Brian Surratt. Mr. Surratt's going to become a very key player in all of this as the debate rolls along, so this is an interview worth watching. It's linked in the story.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/are...attle-economic-development-director/431176942

Nice to hear. If sodo can be built faster than thats a plus.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Also for your information this morning, incase you weren't able to listen in to that interview with Bruce Harrell on KJR Sports Radio yesterday, there were a couple of newsworthy items:

Also:

http://www.seattleweekly.com/news/t...umbershoot-has-a-troubling-anti-lgbt-history/

http://q13fox.com/2017/04/12/founder-of-keyarena-bidder-funded-extremist-hate-groups/

I have linked the above articles as a guidance on the two above tweets. The Seattle Weekly back in January, when AEG was first identified as a possible Key Arena re-development bidder, published this article noting some of the causes that Philip Anschutz, who owns the company, has donated to and the concern of local LGBT activists about the anti-LGBT nature of some of those organizations. Jon Humbert, who was covering the arena discussion for KOMO before being let go earlier this year by that station, did the other story last night for his new TV station, KCPQ. I will comment by saying that you can leave it to this Council to find anything to derail an arena bid - haven't we seen enough of this with Hansen/SoDo - but I will tell you that the Council and a lot of the leadership at the city hall level is very sensitive to this and this will be a dealbreaker for them IMO if they discover anything in his record that validates these concerns.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Nice to hear. If sodo can be built faster than thats a plus.

That's if there are actually a NHL or a NBA secured and that is not even a guarantee either. Of course that is well heavily ignored by some fans and even KJR.

They rather have finalized sodo arena which well may never be built due to no teams than one that is actually going to get built.

KJR thinks its all going to be about music music and music not sports.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Last edited:

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Now thats interesting. The NHL wouldn't be doing that unless they are going to give seattle team somehow.

I looked up canada trade marks for seattle metropolitans and it says owned NHL

Would like to know how it was acquired in Canada, if they paid someone or if it was available/not owned. Either way it is very interesting.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
That's if there are actually a NHL or a NBA secured and that is not even a guarantee either. Of course that is well heavily ignored by some fans and even KJR.

They rather have finalized sodo arena which well may never be built due to no teams than one that is actually going to get built.

A team will be secured if they want it. All three groups have inroads.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

who is KJR owned by usually dictates what format they play, I'm sure there is Sports talk in Seattle, and multiple stations that have contracts existing with the amount of franchises major and minor league combined.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Would like to know how it was acquired in Canada, if they paid someone or if it was available/not owned. Either way it is very interesting.

Well per site

Filed
2008-12-12
Registered
2012-03-07

It was originally register owned by a DBA Vintage Leagues Ltd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad