Season Ticket Holder Discussion Thread: Pt 4

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Since renewals are around 80% and the Oilers are email spamming people who didn't renew. I thought I would call in to see if I could add 2 more seats to the 4 I have.
Thinking I might be able to grab another pair of cheap seats in the upper bowl.

I was firmly and almost rudely told NO. If I want more tickets I need to sign up and pay for the waitlist.

I am no marketing expert, but seems like if they are having low renewals and can't sell tickets........people that have already paid would be the best target to try to sell more tickets.

Can't justify the alleged rudeness but if word got out that STH were jumping the queue to scoop up prime seats it would kill the Oilers wait list.

And not only does that chase away revenue...it loses them a collection of interested customers they can sell to. And then every year they are going to the general public and trying to drum up interest in available seats.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Can't justify the alleged rudeness but if word got out that STH were jumping the queue to scoop up prime seats it would kill the Oilers wait list.

And not only does that chase away revenue...it loses them a collection of interested customers they can sell to. And then every year they are going to the general public and trying to drum up interest in available seats.

Isn't one of the typical perks of having STH the ability to buy extra seats? This has been the case wherever I have had STH. Eskimos, Citadel Theater, etc.

I thought it was a general understanding that waitlist get to pick AFTER STH decisions on whether to switch or get more seats.

Pretty sure as well that inaugurally at Rogers place any STH could buy extra seats within that transition. Is that now not doable?

It makes no sense, and I agree with BC Neil entirely. If they want to sell STH then it makes sense to be very courteous, amenable, and flexible with established buyers. The customer is always right?

oilers106

Nov 25, 2008
Isn't one of the typical perks of having STH the ability to buy extra seats? This has been the case wherever I have had STH. Eskimos, Citadel Theater, etc.

I thought it was a general understanding that waitlist get to pick AFTER STH decisions on whether to switch or get more seats.

Pretty sure as well that inaugurally at Rogers place any STH could buy extra seats within that transition. Is that now not doable?

It makes no sense, and I agree with BC Neil entirely. If they want to sell STH then it makes sense to be very courteous, amenable, and flexible with established buyers. The customer is always right?

STH could not buy additional seats for inaugural year at Rogers Place. They offered an additional 1000 seats that were available for the waitlist to purchase

Reactions: Drivesaitl

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Since renewals are around 80% and the Oilers are email spamming people who didn't renew. I thought I would call in to see if I could add 2 more seats to the 4 I have.
Thinking I might be able to grab another pair of cheap seats in the upper bowl.

I was firmly and almost rudely told NO. If I want more tickets I need to sign up and pay for the waitlist.

I am no marketing expert, but seems like if they are having low renewals and can't sell tickets........people that have already paid would be the best target to try to sell more tickets.

I get that they cant sell seats that aren't available for sale outside the STH renewals yet. People have paid to be on a wait list and they have to honour that list.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB

I can't remember, outside of the years soon after I started with STs, where we have had the option to expand our number of tickets. There have been a number of cases, where we have been given first right to set of tickets (sometimes with lotteries) to buy playoff tickets before opening them up to general sales; however, that option has not occured too often.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

I always find it amusing that when customers don't get what they want - the customer service person they were speaking to was being "rude".

Reactions: CanmoreMike

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I can't remember, outside of the years soon after I started with STs, where we have had the option to expand our number of tickets. There have been a number of cases, where we have been given first right to set of tickets (sometimes with lotteries) to buy playoff tickets before opening them up to general sales; however, that option has not occured too often.

That was a loooong time ago, under the Pocklington regime IIRC.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
I was thinking about giving up my tickets but after the recent big changes this Club is back on track, no way I’m missing playoffs at Rogers because of one disappointing season. I have a feeling this will be the year the boys do something special.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
I always find it amusing that when customers don't get what they want - the customer service person they were speaking to was being "rude".

Who knows what happened. Honestly, I could see OEG employees being a little testy right now with what mountain they are being challenged to climb.

But I agree with the comment in general.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Who knows what happened. Honestly, I could see OEG employees being a little testy right now with what mountain they are being challenged to climb.

But I agree with the comment in general.

Yea I am just making a general comment. My experience in retail is its usually the customer which doesn’t get their way turns into the rude unreasonable person.

Reactions: Jamin

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Given that over the course of time this organization and in particular, management, has basically seen their clients/customer as merely a cash machine, I dont find it surprising at all OEG employees would have that sort of an attitude to ticket holders

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Given that over the course of time this organization and in particular, management, has basically seen their clients/customer as merely a cash machine, I dont find it surprising at all OEG employees would have that sort of an attitude to ticket holders

So you honestly feel that employees, people like you and I who are holding down mere middle class jobs with OEG as seasons seats representatives, would be treating their customers with rudeness and disdain, in the middle of a critical season ticket holder renewal drive?

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
So you honestly feel that employees, people like you and I who are holding down mere middle class jobs with OEG as seasons seats representatives, would be treating their customers with rudeness and disdain, in the middle of a critical season ticket holder renewal drive?
I think (actually I know) that people in organizations take their cue from the powers that be in that organization. So yeah, with the way the Oilers has treated their clients in the past (& even now as evidenced by the 15% reduction card all the while by jacking prices up by more than 15%), yeah, it wouldn't surprise me one iota
And Im not the guy suggesting the poster was fabricating the story, or implying he himself was rude.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think (actually I know) that people in organizations take their cue from the powers that be in that organization. So yeah, with the way the Oilers has treated their clients in the past (& even now as evidenced by the 15% reduction card all the while by jacking prices up by more than 15%), yeah, it wouldn't surprise me one iota
And Im not the guy suggesting the poster was fabricating the story, or implying he himself was rude.

I was not implying it in any way, shape or form, the poster fabricated the story and was exactly why I did not reply to him directly. I had several businesses in retail and I know for a fact (video and telephone recordings viewed when customers complained of a rude CSR) that some customers often become agitated, rude, ignorant and abusive when they do not get what they want despite the absolute best training and patience by the customer service rep, then call or write or worse, post a false online review of a rude CSR when the customer was rude and often abusive.

I too know several people in the department that works with customers at OEG, and they have always been respectful and pleasant to deal with in every circumstance and with every query and are nice people away from the job as well as on the job.

People who deal with people inappropriately do not last in customer service jobs.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017

I too know several people in the department that works with customers at OEG, and they have always been respectful and pleasant to deal with in every circumstance and with every query and are nice people away from the job as well as on the job.

This is funny. You clearly have an agenda. Your buddies who work at OEG have always been respectful and pleasant to deal with. And are nice people to boot.
Yeah, ok.
Actually, I knew of a couple of higher ups back in the day when Katz wasnt Katz (ie owned the Oilers) and the exact opposite was the fact.
Maybe they changed. Who knows. But their work product suggests otherwise.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
No. I didnt say that. But it wouldn't surprise me that given the culture of entitlement that has existed in the OEG forever (based n their overt actions) it filtered down and there would be interactions like the one suggested on occasion.

hoove17

Oct 29, 2015
I would absolutely love to get a rude customer representative on the phone. I have a lot of years of built-up frustration and anger that I would like to release. Alas, my rep is always courteous and helpful, and I can't bring myself to yell at someone who is probably overworked and underpaid, especially this year.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

This is wilful misinterpretation of what that poster actually stated.

Are you always amused when you strawman others comments and then laugh at what they never stated in the first place?
I was not implying it in any way, shape or form, the poster fabricated the story and was exactly why I did not reply to him directly. I had several businesses in retail and I know for a fact (video and telephone recordings viewed when customers complained of a rude CSR) that some customers often become agitated, rude, ignorant and abusive when they do not get what they want despite the absolute best training and patience by the customer service rep, then call or write or worse, post a false online review of a rude CSR when the customer was rude and often abusive.

People who deal with people inappropriately do not last in customer service jobs.

Heres the difficulty with the logic;

Because you know some customer service reps are pleasant you assume all are.

Because you know some customers are unpleasant you generalize and allude others are.

Due to these two generalizations you make a specific post on a board in response,very clearly, (as any reader can see) referring to an instance just reported in the thread, by a poster here.

You respond to queries on that saying your post wasn't in response to anything...guess it just triggered your contempt for customers of something.

The bolded by the way is ridiculous. Frankly you DON'T know it. The nicest people in the world have potential moments when provoked, pressured, not having a good day etc. Very much a human condition your generalities notwithstanding.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
No. I didnt say that. But it wouldn't surprise me that given the culture of entitlement that has existed in the OEG forever (based n their overt actions) it filtered down and there would be interactions like the one suggested on occasion.

But heres one of the challenges that can occur in Customer service when the company you are working for is in the Frying pan.

We've heard countless comments from people here saying they were going to just vent their spleen at the first customer service rep they talk to. Even though the rep is likely an underpaid hire who has next to nothing to do with the customer concerns being expressed. They will get the brunt of it. Sometimes all day, everyday, for weeks. With customers that do that figuring that is acceptable behavior.

Now being human theres only so much the average person is going to take before it starts impacting in some way. Try being yelled at constantly for your shift and see if it doesn't impact in the slightest.

The Oilers org set about many situations in which their Customer service agents were going to hear "Shit hitting the fan" due to decisions of higher ups that rarely face the music. (although interestingly Nicholson was made to several times by Katz) In anycase the Oilers set the tone for a customer agent experience to currently be pretty shitty, dealing with some, or even many customers. It impacts.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
This is funny. You clearly have an agenda. Your buddies who work at OEG have always been respectful and pleasant to deal with. And are nice people to boot.
Yeah, ok.
Actually, I knew of a couple of higher ups back in the day when Katz wasnt Katz (ie owned the Oilers) and the exact opposite was the fact.
Maybe they changed. Who knows. But their work product suggests otherwise.

I have no "buddies" at OEG. I have bumped into several of the people I have dealt with on Oiler road trips, either at the rink or hotel and spoken with them many times outside of "business hours".

The only person with the agenda here is you, who comes into the STH thread on a regular basis to troll and regale us with your demeaning opinions and baseless accusations.

Yes you actually did:
"Given that over the course of time this organization and in particular, management, has basically seen their clients/customer as merely a cash machine, I dont find it surprising at all OEG employees would have that sort of an attitude to ticket holders"

YEGman

Dec 21, 2009
Edmonton
Back on topic, I got a letter dated May 28th, 2019 'from' Nicholson thanking me for my over two decades as a Season Ticket holder and noting that I had not renewed. He advised that if I had a "change of heart during these last couple of days" that they are holding my seats until June 5th, 2019 but after that they would have to release them as seat relocation starts June 11th.

Sorry guys, I've had my fill and will get tickets from my friends if need be.

Reactions: Daryls Nose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad