Season seat upgrade event and registry questions

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
Thanks for the update...must have been a lot of people pass if you were able to get tickets at #1248.
The fact that people would pass is surprising

I'm a bit ahead in the list and had a look for the first time this year but I'm not willing to spend thousands of dollars to "suck it up" for a year so I can have tickets beside each other next year. I don't see Oilers tickets as an investment they are a just something that is convenient to have, plus a lot of people are buying into hype that is just that right now, hype.

Compgod

Jun 22, 2015
I'm a bit ahead in the list and had a look for the first time this year but I'm not willing to spend thousands of dollars to "suck it up" for a year so I can have tickets beside each other next year. I don't see Oilers tickets as an investment they are a just something that is convenient to have, plus a lot of people are buying into hype that is just that right now, hype.

I'm planning on having these tickets for a VERY. LONG. TIME. This isn't about jumping on a hype train or expecting them to make the playoffs this year. I'm ecstatic I was able to obtain tickets where I was on the waiting list as couldn't see there being enough tickets being opened up at Rogers Place for there to be any left when it got around to me next year.

I'm guaranteed tickets at Rogers place, and I'll be able to move to seats beside each other instead of in front of each other which I don't see as "sucking it up".

Good luck to you next year, I might be wrong in my assumptions. But I sure as hell will be enjoying the last 45 games the Oilers will play in the house that Gretzky built :yo:

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
I'm planning on having these tickets for a VERY. LONG. TIME. This isn't about jumping on a hype train or expecting them to make the playoffs this year. I'm ecstatic I was able to obtain tickets where I was on the waiting list as couldn't see there being enough tickets being opened up at Rogers Place for there to be any left when it got around to me next year.

I'm guaranteed tickets at Rogers place, and I'll be able to move to seats beside each other instead of in front of each other which I don't see as "sucking it up".

Good luck to you next year, I might be wrong in my assumptions. But I sure as hell will be enjoying the last 45 games the Oilers will play in the house that Gretzky built :yo:

You're obviously more of a tier 1 fan than I am! If you plan on going to that many games it would make more sense. I only want tickets so I can pick out 4-5 games, sell the rest (should be able to make money if the Oilers ever recover), then have first dibs on playoff tickets.

With my setup there is no way I can sell 35 games of singles of piggy back tickets, nobody wants them. So I would essentially be eating that money.

Again seats are just something that will be convenient to me, I am perfectly happy watching from home!

oilfansixtynine

ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsᴉƃǝɹ
Jul 9, 2007
over there
Any STH's get a chance to purchase a pair of decent seats for the opener this morning? I was an hour late and there were no pairs, just some singles in the lower bowl... and nothing in the upper bowl/gallery..

sudz49

Sep 14, 2008
Any STH's get a chance to purchase a pair of decent seats for the opener this morning? I was an hour late and there were no pairs, just some singles in the lower bowl... and nothing in the upper bowl/gallery..

We got four additional seats for opener, a pair in standing room and two other singles. We also got two extra pairs for last game in Rexall. Also got a couple pairs for washington, a pair and singles for Montreal/Toronto.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
im wondering , how do you register for season tickets and does it cost anything ??

lol just don't want to do it the wrong way , if someone could provide a link id be very happy

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
im wondering , how do you register for season tickets and does it cost anything ??

lol just don't want to do it the wrong way , if someone could provide a link id be very happy

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=32986#register

A one-time Registration Fee of $200 per account is required to join the Season Seat Registry. The registration fee is refundable and will be applied towards your future purchase of Season Seats at Rexall Place.
A non-refundable Administration Fee of $50 per account is required annually, which is due upon joining the Season Seat Registry and is not applied against future purchases.
If you decline to pay the administration fee in any year, you will automatically be removed from the Season Seat Registry.
You will receive a priority number indicating your priority position on the Season Seat Registry.
When Season Seats in Rexall Place become available to purchase, members will be given specific times to visit Rexall Place to make their seat selections. Members may decline seats if the selection does not meet their criteria and still retain their priority rank on the list.
Your position on the Season Seat Registry is non-transferable, other than within your immediate family.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
You can sure see the McDavid effect wrt to ticket availability on both the Oiler site and on stub hub. I am in Edmonton for the first week that the Oilers are back in town in October. I got tickets to their first three home games, but it cost me more than my season tickets during the 80's. :help:

Last year I was typically paying between $15-30 for games on stub hub.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
You can sure see the McDavid effect wrt to ticket availability on both the Oiler site and on stub hub. I am in Edmonton for the first week that the Oilers are back in town in October. I got tickets to their first three home games, but it cost me more than my season tickets during the 80's. :help:

Last year I was typically paying between $15-30 for games on stub hub.

also the stub hub prices are in USD, that just sucks :/

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
also the stub hub prices are in USD, that just sucks :/

Unbelievably they are. I got tricked by that as well. WTF selling tickets in Canada for Canadian venue games attended by Canadians and its all in USD. No excuse for that. We're a sovereign nation.

In anycase I think people posting those asking prices for tickets aren't fully realizing either that this is USD. Ticket prices will come down as people realize that not many are going to be paying that kind of price in a stalled economy when the Canabuck is 75cents and plummeting.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
Unbelievably they are. I got tricked by that as well. WTF selling tickets in Canada for Canadian venue games attended by Canadians and its all in USD. No excuse for that. We're a sovereign nation.

In anycase I think people posting those asking prices for tickets aren't fully realizing either that this is USD. Ticket prices will come down as people realize that not many are going to be paying that kind of price in a stalled economy when the Canabuck is 75cents and plummeting.

its just so high, I was ready to buy the season opener games and then they add fees and its in USD on top of that :amazed::shakehead:shakehead

thats absolutely rubbish

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
its just so high, I was ready to buy the season opener games and then they add fees and its in USD on top of that :amazed::shakehead:shakehead

thats absolutely rubbish

Like I say its as if sellers are not yet realizing the USD price conversion. I bet most sellers are thinking that is their asking price in Canabucks. Given the degree of confusion and the prices being astronomically different on resale I almost guarantee theres confusion. Usually the resale prices are not this high this quick. Normally they're not this high at all.

not many games available for multiple ticket direct purchase anymore. meh, I keep more money in my pocket.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
Like I say its as if sellers are not yet realizing the USD price conversion. I bet most sellers are thinking that is their asking price in Canabucks. Given the degree of confusion and the prices being astronomically different on resale I almost guarantee theres confusion. Usually the resale prices are not this high this quick. Normally they're not this high at all.

not many games available for multiple ticket direct purchase anymore. meh, I keep more money in my pocket.

People who sell tickets on stub hub tend to know that the seats are priced in USD. This isn't their first rodeo.

The prices are high because of:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
People who sell tickets on stub hub tend to know that the seats are priced in USD. This isn't their first rodeo.

Its the first year in quite awhile that there has been such a huge difference between the USD and Canabuck. Really for several years the relative dollars were so close people stopped even thinking about anything but on par. The difference wasn't even significant and at times the Canabuck was higher.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

The Mcdavid hype has hit me also. Before the draft lottery and management changes I wasn't planning to go to any games this season. Now with all the changes I'm pretty excited to go to a few games this year.

oilfansixtynine

ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsᴉƃǝɹ
Jul 9, 2007
over there
I have bought and sold tickets in the past few years and very aware of the conversions. when you go to checkout it clearly states USD and isn't hard to miss.

Trader

Jan 13, 2007
Checked out Rogers Place seating options at the Ice District presentation center...very nicely done...big push towards the high priced seats...Loge & Theatre styles
We were told that there are currently between 5500-6000 Season Seat accounts and over 3000 people on the Season Seat Registry.

Last edited:

oilers9799

Mar 29, 2005
I checked out the presentation center as well. I have zero problems with the pricing scheme except the Loge & Theatre Box seating. I think they priced these too high, that is probably the reason they are trying to push people toward them.

$15k for loge and $25k for theatre is too high for small and mid size businesses which I thought was the target of these seats.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009

I'm a season ticket holder for the first time this year with 2 friends and we listed our opener tickets at $500 per in the 300 level simply because that's what we really want to go but at $500 we could probably watch it from home.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Does anyone know how long the wait list is for season tickets? Im just starting out in a higher paying job and couldnt afford the season tickets this year. However I anticipate I could afford them in 2 years. I was hoping to hop on the wait list if it was 2 or so years so by the time I got them I could afford them confortably

Edit: nvm, I see its around 3 years

I think the best bet will be to register and then try and find someone selling a bunch of tickets before the season

Regardless, youll see me at a ton of "cheaper" games this year. Hello Florida, Hurricanes, New Jersey, Columbus games. Good thing Oilers will have a chance at winning them

Trader

Jan 13, 2007
Does anyone know how long the wait list is for season tickets? Im just starting out in a higher paying job and couldnt afford the season tickets this year. However I anticipate I could afford them in 2 years. I was hoping to hop on the wait list if it was 2 or so years so by the time I got them I could afford them confortably

Edit: nvm, I see its around 3 years

I think the best bet will be to register and then try and find someone selling a bunch of tickets before the season

Regardless, youll see me at a ton of "cheaper" games this year. Hello Florida, Hurricanes, New Jersey, Columbus games. Good thing Oilers will have a chance at winning them

I think your estimation of 3 years is low.
There are over 3,000 people on the Season Seat Registry and only 5,500 to 6,000 Season Seat accounts so a lot of people would need to give up their tickets.
Given the hype around McDavid and the new arena I don't see a lot of turnover happening in the next few years.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think your estimation of 3 years is low.
There are over 3,000 people on the Season Seat Registry and only 5,500 to 6,000 Season Seat accounts so a lot of people would need to give up their tickets.
Given the hype around McDavid and the new arena I don't see a lot of turnover happening in the next few years.

True, and their is probaly tons of people on the fence and once they have even a touch of success those people will want tickets. Best to jump on it now, hopefully get them in 5 years before I hit 30

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
True, and their is probaly tons of people on the fence and once they have even a touch of success those people will want tickets. Best to jump on it now, hopefully get them in 5 years before I hit 30

There are probably lots of people on it though that can't afford seasons when they get the chance too buy. And there will probably be some that drop off because of the steep price increase in the new building.

Roughly 1000+ got a chance to buy this year and that's without an increase in capacity.

Trader

Jan 13, 2007
There are probably lots of people on it though that can't afford seasons when they get the chance too buy. And there will probably be some that drop off because of the steep price increase in the new building.

Roughly 1000+ got a chance to buy this year and that's without an increase in capacity.

Big difference in being given the opportunity to buy or there being enough tickets to satisfy the actual demand of the 1000+ on the registry who were given the opportunity...

The average STH has 2.3 seats...(14,000 season seats/6,000 accounts)..so your comment that 1000+ could buy would mean that 2,300 seats or 16% of all season seats were available....definitely not the case.
1000+ were given the opportunity to purchase tickets which consisted of slim pickings according to previous posts.

It was stated that there was a 97% season seat renewal rate meaning that roughly 420 season seats were available this year. If the average number of seats 2.3 were purchased that would mean 182 people from the registry got tickets this year.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
Big difference in being given the opportunity to buy or there being enough tickets to satisfy the actual demand of the 1000+ on the registry who were given the opportunity...

The average STH has 2.3 seats...(14,000 season seats/6,000 accounts)..so your comment that 1000+ could buy would mean that 2,300 seats or 16% of all season seats were available....definitely not the case.
1000+ were given the opportunity to purchase tickets which consisted of slim pickings according to previous posts.

It was stated that there was a 97% season seat renewal rate meaning that roughly 420 season seats were available this year. If the average number of seats 2.3 were purchased that would mean 182 people from the registry got tickets this year.

I split tickets with a friend this year, we were about 900 in the registry and we got a chance to buy. Took 3 seats in the 300 level. So roughly 20% of the people who got the chance to buy actually did so, probably less. Now we have our foot in the door and get to choose our tickets for the new rink before all those people who passed on "slim pickings" ahead of us. Plus we get to see mcdavids rookie season and the last year in the food old northlands coliseum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad