Pre-Game Talk: Season Opens on Wednesday as we raise another banner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I do not get the Washington hate. I mean I get why they hate us. And a number of their fans here are really really hard to take. But if not for those fans I would almost feel sorry for them.

At this point I am not sure if their situation is more tragedy or comedy. I am not sure what is worse. Having a team like Cleveland who never makes any right moves in football, or a team like the Caps who have seemed to have it all over long stretches and continually breaks their fans' hearts with their underperforming. At least if you are a Browns' fan you never expect anything.

Multiple knee to knee and other questionable hits. Attempted assassination of Sidney Crosby two, questionably three times over the years... Yeah the hate is justified.

Last year I almost forgot all the dirtiness and foul play in our head to head and playoff match-ups before the Nisky hit... then all bets were off. At one point I even thought to myself - I'd be okay only winning this series. Of course that went away when I realized with the playoff format the winner from the Atlantic would meet us in the Conf Finals - but the thought was there.

I also get the hate for Ovechkin being the bit of the spoiled golden child - but the man is an offensive gift that has been remitted down to a one-timing forward with little else to offer. I personally put a lot of that on the Caps organization for seeing that dirty plays and power play goals in the regular season is successful. Not many teams are ready to risk all over an elbow or knee to knee in January like the Caps are. Come playoffs they wonder why that doesn't translate... sort of an ironic hatred for them in that regard.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
They went for the cover-every-available-surface-with-diamonds aesthetic this year. :laugh:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Ruhwedel didn't get his name on the cup while Streit did, that's kinda ****ty. Ruhwedel played in 34 regular season games and 6 playoff games, both of which were more than what Streit did.

Minimum is 41 regular season or 1 in the finals. Streit played a combined 60+ between Pittsburgh and Philly.

I think you can only petition for a player to be on the Cup if he fails to meet either criteria if he's injured, where it can be argued he would have reached those minimums if it weren't for the games he missed injured.

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
Ruhwedel didn't get his name on the cup while Streit did, that's kinda ****ty. Ruhwedel played in 34 regular season games and 6 playoff games, both of which were more than what Streit did.
He's 40 and this will be his last season, it's a career capper

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah I still think Ruhwedel should be on that, I mean the staff on that...Chris Stewart is on that freaking thing. No offense to him, but uh...Ruhwedel stepped up huge when we needed depth.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Jackie Chan as .... HANDSHAKE LIN!

giphy.gif

Edit: whatup with the orphan tags showing up after the image?
html5

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
At this point, I kind of feel bad for Ovechkin. I think his style of play is catching up with him, plus his lack of focus off ice is compounded by his team's total lack of focus on ice. He looks miserable in the post-season, even outside of game 7.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
those rings are a little bit too much for my taste, but no biggie...

good to see Trevor Daley with the team. I still remember them trading Scuderi for him just like it was yesterday. and then actually seeing him play, the difference was ridiculous. I don't know what the Hawks were thinking, but good for the Pens.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
good to see Trevor Daley with the team. I still remember them trading Scuderi for him just like it was yesterday. and then actually seeing him play, the difference was ridiculous. I don't know what the Hawks were thinking, but good for the Pens.
I know exactly what they were thinking. "Addition by subtraction." The exact same thing we were thinking about Scuderi.

The one meaningful difference is that we were right.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
I know exactly what they were thinking. "Addition by subtraction." The exact same thing we were thinking about Scuderi.

The one meaningful difference is that we were right.

I don't know about that. from my understanding Daley wasn't bad for them, it's just that Coach Q didn't like him and scretched him for unknown reasons.

Daley is a puck moving defenseman who still wouldn't look out of place on any third pair in this league, and he was better two seasons ago.

Scuderi was a corpse on skates at the time of trade.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
This blues team looks really bad on paper right now with all the injuries they have, hopefully the pens take care of business tomorrow night.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
At this point, I kind of feel bad for Ovechkin. I think his style of play is catching up with him, plus his lack of focus off ice is compounded by his team's total lack of focus on ice. He looks miserable in the post-season, even outside of game 7.

Last year was kind of the first time I could really have a clear mental picture of Ovi and think "Y'know, this isn't so much his fault..."

I don't know. Maybe it's just that everything in Washington has been such a clown show for years, maybe it's him going grey...

But now more than ever, it just seems clear that the responsibility lies firmly with Sweaty Teddy.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Is there any way we can change our opponent last minute to the caps? You know, because

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
So...is Alex Ovechkin a loser, or just unlucky?

A guy wholly unwilling or unable to tweak his game to be more well-rounded, playing for an owner and a team that have never demanded anything like that from him in order to win. I'd say it's more on the franchise and owner than Ovechkin, but Ovechkin's certainly got a good amount of the blame himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad