Season Officially Suspended -- COVID-19/Coronavirus Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
The problem is there is not and will not be a full buy in on all the measures. People were/are packing into bars/restaurants/ street parties/etc. because they aren't buying into it. Now you're seeing a few places including Illinois start to order the closure of those establishments. But it's a major problem when tons of people aren't taking things seriously and carrying on as normal and therefore making things worse and prolonging the situation.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I think STL is about 1-2 weeks behind Seattle in the COVID-19 timeline.

When it gets here in force (I know its here already, I mean in significant numbers), be ready....and no, I don't mean hoarding TP. You TP hoarders are idiots.

Eli: "Hey Jed, you remember to pack the 30 cases of TP?"

Jed: "Aw shit, I forgot!"

Eli: "Hey boys, the West can wait. Turn this wagon train around and head back to St. Louis. We need to stock up on TP or we ain't gonna make it."

OIP.plG_6xEkHXVsbNhwGSJJ6wHaE4

Last edited:

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Apollo Commander: "Alright boys, let's light this candle and get to the moon. Deke, did you remember to pack 20 rolls of TP?"

Deke: "Ahhh, damn commander. I was busy making sure we had enough oxygen for the trip. I totally forgot to load the TP."

Apollo Commander:
"Houston, we have a problem."

d73a13300e962c18ef5211d29ad0ea01.jpg

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Captain: "Steady boys. steady. When we hit the beach move out and don't stop. Gerry has machine guns on those cliffs. Best to get clear of the beach. First Sergeant, did you pack the TP?"

First Sergeant: "Ah damn Captain, I was packing the bangalores to clear the concertina wire, I forgot about the TP."

Captain: "Hey sailor! Turn this damn thing around. We can't kick Adolph's butt if we can't wipe our own with TP."

a_D-DayLandingCraft-495x382.jpg

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
CDC just posted guidance of no events with 50+ people for at least next 8 weeks. Can't see how league can return until late May at earliest. I would be quite surprised at this point if we see any more hockey this season.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Just get ready for next year. It’s the safest way and makes the most sense. No reason to push back next season and affect 2 seasons as opposed to just cancelling this one.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
CDC just posted guidance of no events with 50+ people for at least next 8 weeks. Can't see how league can return until late May at earliest. I would be quite surprised at this point if we see any more hockey this season.
I think we will either see a full cancellation or just a really abbreviated playoffs at this point. I hope we can hit the peak for this outbreak in the 8 week estimations for these shutdowns. We are already 3 days into these shutdowns and I'm already of tired of not being able to follow my normal daily routine.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Well the district I teach in has closed until the third(which is a Friday, so realistically the 6th). We’ll be using our online learning management system to assign things for the kids, but nobody is going to do this shit. I was a pretty model student when I was in school and even I wouldn’t likely do this. Going to be a weird few weeks.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Well the district I teach in has closed until the third(which is a Friday, so realistically the 6th). We’ll be using our online learning management system to assign things for the kids, but nobody is going to do this shit. I was a pretty model student when I was in school and even I wouldn’t likely do this. Going to be a weird few weeks.
A lot of parents will be home with their children. If they care about their education, they will make them do the work. This will be telling about how much parents actually care about education.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
We will at least see bars and restaurants become takeout only this week following some of the other states starting to announce those restrictions.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Are we supposed to assume the food preparer is corona free? I’m done eating out.

Yeah my wife and I had that conversation, I feel incredibly bad for all these mom and pop restaurants around our area, their food is great and I know they might not be able to survive this without a lot of takeout orders..... But she refuses to order out while this is going on and I cannot say I disagree, but I feel for all of them.

Going to be stuck with these awful Applebees type chains after this and its GOING TO SUCK

Reactions: Ridge1982

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Are we supposed to assume the food preparer is corona free? I’m done eating out.

I'm not sure that the risk of contamination by a restaurant's food prep staff is substantially higher than the risk of contamination at all of the steps that get food from the source to your cart at the grocery store. If a restaurant is taking the proper precautions, food prep should carry a lesser risk of infection than food that is handled/shelved at a store. But that is a big "if." I don't blame you at all for being done eating out, but make sure to wash all of your food you can at home before eating. I watched a woman cough in the produce section without covering her mouth at all when I was at the store Saturday.

One thing is certain though. Eliminating sit down eating at restaurants greatly reduces the risk of spreading disease. The amount of cleaning that occurs at the table between guests is minimal. Add that to simply having dozens of people share a space while employees move from table to table constantly and you have a pretty great environment for a virus to spread. Making restaurants take out only is definitely a positive step.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
So the US is voluntarily crippling the economy, potentially costing more than 8-million Americans their jobs as businesses close (many which will ultimately be permanently), homes are lost and the financial repercussions are felt for years and years...all because of a highly contagious cold which 99% of the people are going to shrug off. Call me obtuse, insensitive, tone-deaf or any other derogatory term, but this is going to be way worse than letting this "disease" run its normal course of action while picking off folks along the way. And the folks who are most at risk are still going to get this virus. Are the trillions of dollars being destroyed in the process of trying to drag this exposure rate out over the course of 9-months instead of 1 or 2 really worth the attempt at saving the weak, sick and elderly; many of whom have already lived full and productive lives? I know that i sound heartless and uncompassionate, but I'm more concerned with the single mom who can't put food on her table because her waitressing job has evaporated, or the 29 million retail workers who can't afford to miss a single paycheck let alone face the prospect of being jobless than the octogenarian who is too frail to stand catching a cold. Multiple entire industries are going to crumble and we're just going to sit back and watch it happen because of a new cold virus? If this were the Spanish Flu, the response would be appropriate. 2% mortality is an unfortunate, but manageable outcome. Inducing a global recession, mass financial collapse, rampant unemployment (it's coming) and the aftermath which will be felt for a half-decade or more is asinine.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012

It's certainly possible someone in food prep could have it, same as any other communicable illness. Given the mantra from the medical experts I don't think it's much of a food borne illness. Either way the more people can avoid having to go out the better.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Finnish goverment has info they will start wednesday 18.3.2020 in Finland emergency powers act. Borders closed, over 10 people gathering are banned, Closes state and municipal museums, theaters, National Opera, cultural houses, libraries, library cars, National Archives customer and research hall services, recreational facilities and venues, swimming pools and other sports facilities, youth facilities, club rooms, NGO meeting rooms, day care for the elderly, rehabilitation activities. Private and third sector and religious communities are recommended to do the same.

Over 70-years old are recommended to stay out of contacts (self-quarantine), early childhood education is running normally if not infection, every schools are closed, but primary school classes 1-3 too run normally if kids parents are working critically important job like social and health care or security trained professionals. I don't have kids, but I can forgot my summer vacations now. We got strict memo how to work in our unite. When this could hit on us and we get sick this law says retired social and health care workers up to 68-years old could get call to come work.

People going outside is not yet restricted, but this law may prescribe it.

All I can this has been hectic day, but it is what it is. Guys and girls stay strong!

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Canada just closed it's borders to non-citizens. And in my city everything is closed except for stores and pharmacies, Which is pretty much the same everywhere.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
So the US is voluntarily crippling the economy, potentially costing more than 8-million Americans their jobs as businesses close (many which will ultimately be permanently), homes are lost and the financial repercussions are felt for years and years...all because of a highly contagious cold which 99% of the people are going to shrug off. Call me obtuse, insensitive, tone-deaf or any other derogatory term, but this is going to be way worse than letting this "disease" run its normal course of action while picking off folks along the way. And the folks who are most at risk are still going to get this virus. Are the trillions of dollars being destroyed in the process of trying to drag this exposure rate out over the course of 9-months instead of 1 or 2 really worth the attempt at saving the weak, sick and elderly; many of whom have already lived full and productive lives? I know that i sound heartless and uncompassionate, but I'm more concerned with the single mom who can't put food on her table because her waitressing job has evaporated, or the 29 million retail workers who can't afford to miss a single paycheck let alone face the prospect of being jobless than the octogenarian who is too frail to stand catching a cold. Multiple entire industries are going to crumble and we're just going to sit back and watch it happen because of a new cold virus? If this were the Spanish Flu, the response would be appropriate. 2% mortality is an unfortunate, but manageable outcome. Inducing a global recession, mass financial collapse, rampant unemployment (it's coming) and the aftermath which will be felt for a half-decade or more is asinine.

You are also forgetting another vulnerable group, children under 8. All Children under 8 dead, according to your plan. Just wipe them out. How will the single mom waiting tables feel when you kill her children?

Also, with everyone sick for weeks, they will still be missing work while they are sick. You want everyone to get sick at once. The entire economy will shut down. No sanitation company workers or power workers. What happens when the power goes out and nobody is healthy at the electric company. The hospitals have no power for a week. That probably doesn't matter because the hospitals have no workers either. As for the poor woman who is set to go into labor during the week you choose to make everyone get sick, well I guess the lack of hospitals doesn't matter to her either because you have already sentenced her newborn to death by Virus.

You are also vastly underestimating the virus. You say 99% of people will shrug it off, with a 2% mortality rate. Well that math just doesn't add up period, but also the mortality rate is 3-4% according to experts. The choices aren't death or shrugging it off either. A lot of people are going to be violently sick and barely survive too. So that would effect their ability to work as well. Also, as I said above, there are more vulnerable groups than just the elderly. You are assuming the worst for economic impact, which the government is stepping in to help alleviate, while vastly underestimating the effect of the disease which currently can only be alleviated with functioning and staffed hospitals.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
You should really quit while you're behind.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
You are also forgetting another vulnerable group, children under 8. All Children under 8 dead, according to your plan. Just wipe them out. How will the single mom waiting tables feel when you kill her children?

Also, with everyone sick for weeks, they will still be missing work while they are sick. You want everyone to get sick at once. The entire economy will shut down. No sanitation company workers or power workers. What happens when the power goes out and nobody is healthy at the electric company. The hospitals have no power for a week. That probably doesn't matter because the hospitals have no workers either. As for the poor woman who is set to go into labor during the week you choose to make everyone get sick, well I guess the lack of hospitals doesn't matter to her either because you have already sentenced her newborn to death by Virus.

You are also vastly underestimating the virus. You say 99% of people will shrug it off, with a 2% mortality rate. Well that math just doesn't add up period, but also the mortality rate is 3-4% according to experts. The choices aren't death or shrugging it off either. A lot of people are going to be violently sick and barely survive too. So that would effect their ability to work as well. Also, as I said above, there are more vulnerable groups than just the elderly. You are assuming the worst for economic impact, which the government is stepping in to help alleviate, while vastly underestimating the effect of the disease which currently can only be alleviated with functioning and staffed hospitals.

Wow...that's the mother of all strawmen in bold. Currently the mortality rate 1.3% in 50-somethings, 0.4% in 40-somethings, and 0.2% in people 10 to 39. Based on available evidence, children do not appear to be at higher risk for COVID-19 than adults. That's a far cry from "kill all children under 8 years old". I have parents in their 70's, and a daughter who is 6. Believe me, I don't want to see anyone struck down, but I see folks struggling NOW as incomes dry up for fear of the 1%-2%. It's easy to be a bleeding heart and want to save the world at all costs; being in the era of political correctness it's an easy stance to take. But the economic harm that will come from shutting down an entire nation is going to dwarf that brought on by the death of 60,000-100,000 Americans.

~100 Americans die every day from car accidents. Why aren't we locking down the highways?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad