Season Officially Suspended -- COVID-19/Coronavirus Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I have nothing to base this on other than my gut, so take it with all the salt you feel is appropriate. I think we need to seriously consider that this season is not going to start back up.

Absolute best-case scenario, we're looking at April 1 before we resume play. That could salvage the rest of the regular season and a full playoff. The longer case loads are increasing, the longer it's going to take before things start back up. If it takes 6-8 weeks to get through the worst of this (the best-case opinion of Fauci, if I recall what he said correctly) we're into mid-May. Figure a week for a mini-camp to get teams ready, and we're into late May. That's going to scratch any remaining regular season and push us into the playoffs when things start up, and now we're talking about 9 weeks to do a 16-team, best-of-7 playoffs to finish by end of July. We go past mid-May to get through this, and you're talking abbreviated playoffs. We get to the end of May and still have cases and authorities are restricting crowds, and we're going to be done.

I don't think we're going to be that lucky, though. Maybe we will be, maybe things stabilize quickly and were back to playing soon. But I don't think that's going to happen, because I think we still have too many people not taking this seriously and so this is going to drag out for a while.
If I had to place a bet today, I'd wager that the Cup isn't awarded this year. I certainly wouldn't bet on playing out the entirety of the regular season and then playoffs.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
If I had to place a bet today, I'd wager that the Cup isn't awarded this year. I certainly wouldn't bet on playing out the entirety of the regular season and then playoffs.

No sports will be played again this year.

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
Welp, another psychiatrist that I worked with this morning just got quarantined. I work at the only Level 1 trauma center in our state and knew that I was very likely going to get it, but now it might be coming. I have to be honest, I'm a little nervous. Especially because I am a geriatrician. Who knows who I might quite literally cause to die from this.

Please stay safe and thank you and all our medical professionals for your service. Nervous or not we need you guys; It takes a special type of courage to fight this virus and hopefully that’s not lost to the public in the days ahead.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
No sports will be played again this year.
I really hope you're wrong if you mean within the calendar year. I have my doubts on hockey finishing the year, but I think in late May to mid June baseball and some of the summer sports like MLS will restart.

Has there been any comment from Blues? Would be extremely disappointing if they leave vulnerable staff on their own.

I'd bet we'll announce something this coming week.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Seeing the pictures from the airports today online 5-6 hour waits to get through customs with everyone packed together. That's going to surely result in some cases....

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

kagei

Apr 14, 2014
STL
I was reading a collection of posts and tweets from Italy the other day and it's pretty bad there. But there was one comment that at least showed me someone is keeping a sense of humor despite. It was along the lines of "We used to cough to cover up a fart, now we fart to cover up a cough"

Reactions: JMCx4

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
I hope everyone is doing well and coping without hockey. I've been binging playing nhl20 and other games while working from home. Not sure if I'll still have a job when i get back.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Seeing the pictures from the airports today online 5-6 hour waits to get through customs with everyone packed together. That's going to surely result in some cases....

imagine how many people are being infected there. Spreading like wildfire. I give it 3 weeks tops before the US is shut down completely

Reactions: mk80

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
If Stillman isn't willing to help the stadium staff, then how is he going to be willing to pay Petro the money he deserves. He's definitely coming home to Toronto. :sarcasm:

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Sigh. I have been dodging this thread but I have to come clean. I have a confession to make. This is all my fault. On the afternoon of June 12th 2019 I am quoted saying," Just let the Blues win the cup and the world can end for all I care."

Yeah.. well.. Shit.
Hey, you meant well, and that's what counts. Now, please post your home address, so we can all thank you in person ... and stay there, we'll be right over ... :mad:

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I've officially entered the "F Coronavirus" stage of all this.

Just constantly pissed this is all happening....

Reactions: Ridge1982

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
If the exponential growth curve continues and follows the same path as Italy, Iran, France, Spain and the UK, we are truly f***ed. Probably why some of the estimates are showing 150+ million infected by June.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
If the exponential growth curve continues and follows the same path as Italy, Iran, France, Spain and the UK, we are truly f***ed. Probably why some of the estimates are showing 150+ million infected by June.
Any time you see someone pull out the it's not as bad as the flu / more people are infected by and die of the flu, why is this such a big deal? line, shout the f***ers down. Not nicely, not gently. Shout the motherf***ers down like you'd shout down an anti-vaxxer telling you not to give your kids a measles shot during a measles outbreak.

Because that line of bullshit is how we're going to end up with 150 million cases, and at a 1% fatality rate ... well, you do the math and tell me how that's going to go over.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Any time you see someone pull out the it's not as bad as the flu / more people are infected by and die of the flu, why is this such a big deal? line, shout the f***ers down. Not nicely, not gently. Shout the motherf***ers down like you'd shout down an anti-vaxxer telling you not to give your kids a measles shot during a measles outbreak.

Because that line of bullshit is how we're going to end up with 150 million cases, and at a 1% fatality rate ... well, you do the math and tell me how that's going to go over.
The WHO is saying there may end up a 3-4% fatality rate on average worldwide. That’s their expected number. At least that’s what I have seen posted, so who knows how accurate, especially given that these are projections.

There are some caveats like how effective countries were/are in performing quarantines and social distancing. The fatality rate is significantly higher in countries that failed on those strategies. Some fatality rates are significantly below 1%. The other biggest determinant is number of hospital beds available, especially ICUs, which are limited in supply. On a lesser note but also vitally important was the ability to mobilize creation of temporary hospitals and therefore increasing the number of beds. The US doesn’t seem to be doing too well on those fronts. Seattle/King county have purchased an Econolodge with the hopes of quickly converting it to beds, so there is some move to make that happen.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad