Player Discussion Sean Monahan

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I think it’s a pipe dream. When was the last time this happened? I know it’s re-sign and not resign, typing from my phone and just didn’t bother to correct.

I agree with everything else you say, I just don’t think trades like this happen very often. We, as fans talk about these moves like this and sign and trades all the time. They seldom materialize.

Trading every good vet is how we become the Buffalo Sabres, a team in rebuild mode forever.
Indeed it's rare...

It did happen with us not that long ago, and not to any success (Plekanec). I'm too lazy to dig around for the other cases, but it's not as far fetched as you suggest imo.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Why is the price set at a 1st minimum? The Lindholm return was a 1st+Prospect+4th. Kuzmenko, while there is potential, is a cap dump. Players with his cap hit, term, and production arent positive assets in the NHL anymore. They get dealt away to make cap work or given to bottom feeders for free.

Monahan *MIGHT* get a 1st, especially if MTL takes a bad contract back. I think a 2nd is more likely though unless a team strikes out and just needs someone.

Kuzmenko was a cap dump in the same sense Tatar was a cap dump in the Pacioretty trade. Maybe not a positive asset, but not really a negative asset either since the chances they rebound are pretty high. Kuzmenko is only 27 years old, and scored 74 pts just last season. It wouldn't surprise me if the flames were the ones to ask for Kuzmenko during the negotiations. I doubt the canucks had to give up more picks/prospects because they were including Kuzmenko in the trade.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpeedyPotato

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Monahan vs Mavrik Bourque.

First round pick in 2020. Just turned 22 and he has a great season in the AHL with 47 points in 39 games.

It could be possible to get him cause Dallas has Logan Stankoven as big prospect either.

Bourque might have a better career than Joshua Roy.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: rangersfansince08

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
a lot of haters on the trade rumors board will again be having crow for dinner.
I think Habs end up getting more for Monahan than Lindholm returned. Considering we already have Calgary first next year. Which is stacked draft. Flames pick could be lottery pick. Canucks pick be around 30th in draft weak on depth.

Plus whatever we get for Monahan this deadline.

Levard

Apr 25, 2023
Trade him ASAP before he get hurt.

Im afraid we will be somewhat underwhelmed with the return.. now that we've seen what Lindholm brought back.

Some peoples are delusional .. we are not trading him and getting him back.. and trading him again next year.

Last edited:

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
We are getting at least a 1st at this point, and then we are re-signing him in the off-season to another 1 year deal and turning him into a 1st at the 2025 deadline. 3 1st's for Monahan in total.

• Haha
Reactions: Kiss Under the Guy

Kiss Under the Guy

Mar 21, 2022
We are getting at least a 1st at this point, and then we are re-signing him in the off-season to another 1 year deal and turning him into a 1st at the 2025 deadline. 3 1st's for Monahan in total.
I'm not convinced that it is a good use of our assets. Why not trade him for a first, re-sign him at 2M$/1yr, and re-trade him for a first next deadline, then sign him again, rince and repeat until he retires?

If I was the Habs GM, I'd keep on re-signing and trading him at TDL, even if the Habs were 1st in the standings. Forever

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I'm not convinced that it is a good use of our assets. Why not trade him for a first, re-sign him at 2M$/1yr, and re-trade him for a first next deadline, then sign him again, rince and repeat until he retires?

If I was the Habs GM, I'd keep on re-signing and trading him at TDL, even if the Habs were 1st in the standings. Forever
i-like-that-owen-grady.gif

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
a lot of haters on the trade rumors board will again be having crow for dinner.
Guys on the main board are all trying to figure out supply and demand, leverage and hate all at the same time..............LOL
Cesspool on the main board.
If we are fortunate enough to serve them some crow, the threads will get shut down!! LOL

I never predict what a guy will return in these cases, but you would think the Habs are in good shape to leverage their position with Monahan....

Teams who may call about Monahan, are...........Boston, Rangers, Avs, Knights, Dallas
Did I miss anyone? The Leafs have 35k in cap space, pretty sure TSN will have them in on everyone also!

Reactions: Runner77

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020
I don't think it will be close but I think the Lindholm trade bumped up his value enough that we're in 1st round territory. It's just hard to tell what any of the +s would be
So before the trade you doubted Monahan would net a 1st? I don't understand people thinking we were getting a second or a B prospect. Monahan is exactly what all teams need for the po, these kind of assets go for a King's ransom all the time. He was always gonna net a first at least.

Reactions: Benstheman

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Guys on the main board are all trying to figure out supply and demand, leverage and hate all at the same time..............LOL
Cesspool on the main board.
If we are fortunate enough to serve them some crow, the threads will get shut down!! LOL

I never predict what a guy will return in these cases, but you would think the Habs are in good shape to leverage their position with Monahan....

Teams who may call about Monahan, are...........Boston, Rangers, Avs, Knights, Dallas
Did I miss anyone? The Leafs have 35k in cap space, pretty sure TSN will have them in on everyone also!
I believe I heard the Jets and Oilers being interested as well. Let's see what happens with Henrique of the Ducks and the return they get.

Reactions: BLONG7

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Lindholm can actually skate up and down the ice that's why he's gonna fetch alot more than monahan , my personal opinion , injuries also don't help mony's case. Fingers crossed tho I've seen worst than Mony go for a first +

Reactions: BLONG7

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Lindholm can actually skate up and down the ice that's why he's gonna fetch alot more than monahan , my personal opinion , injuries also don't help mony's case. Fingers crossed tho I've seen worst than Mony go for a first +

I disagree with the bolded part.

Not saying Monahan will return the same type of package, I don't want to venture there too much, but they're the same age, same type of production, Monahan is actually a bit better offensively while I agree, Lindholm's 2-way game is better. And yeah, injuries will always come into discussion with Monahan, but he's healthy so far this year, costs about 3M$ less on the cap (if a team would like a retention, he could basically cost nothing til the end of the season) than Lindholm, while also being a rental.

Depending who's the most desperate among GMs looking for an offensively skilled top-6 C at the TDL, I could see him go for a lot.

And I hope Hughes entertain the idea of being sellers at the TDL, for real, we've been 26th overall for a couple weeks now.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I’m in the minority that Monahan return won’t be as much as some as thinking.

1st will be conditional of games played since teams won’t risk him missing playoffs due to another injury. Not getting a top prospect either.

Hope I’m wrong.

I didn't think we'd get s 1st for Chiarot. And I n ou w see Monahan as the Chiarot of this TDL - best asset available at his position, which is an important position. So I'm optimistic this time around.

Reactions: 417

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad