Player Discussion Sean Monahan

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Ultimately he's not irreplaceable, and as it is we do have 4 NHL caliber Cs signed heading into next season, so imo if there is a good offer on the table and he's keen on the playoff shot, it's a no-brainer to pull the trigger. If he's indicating he far prefers staying without the playoff taste, then I'd be fine with the extension instead.

Does he have kids? I'd imagine that if so, the extension right now might be preferable. If not, I think the trade and re-sign in the summer remains the best case scenario if not sides are open/favorable to it
No, he’s not irreplaceable, but we don’t have anything internally to replace him. He's a very good piece. We will see, if you get a knock your socks off type of deal you can trade him, but a late first and a small add I’d sooner keep him. I don’t consider trading him and re-signing him to be a realistic option. It isn’t happening.

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
I know the logical thing to do is to trade him for a King's ransom but the value he brings with helping our young players cannot be ignored. I am good either way, take him or extend him.
If he was'nt injury prone, while the habs are rebuilding, i'd sign him right now to a 5x4m easy (or 4x5). He is a very good veteran for the team, seems like a cool dude as well. Great gamble by Hugues, so much better than any Hoffman/Dadonov/Gurianov.

As-is, i'd give him 3 x 3 with bonus on games played up to 4.5 or so. Still, there likely is a gentleman agreement and Hugues has to respect it to keep his name so my take is he's gone by tdl and probably not comming back unless we do it again with a 1x3 with bonus or something. He may want multiple chances for a cup eh and maybe Hugues can help him while he helps us...

Still, yeah, how can you not like the player/individual...

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
No, he’s not irreplaceable, but we don’t have anything internally to replace him. He's a very good piece. We will see, if you get a knock your socks off type of deal you can trade him, but a late first and a small add I’d sooner keep him. I don’t consider trading him and re-signing him to be a realistic option. It isn’t happening.
Dach can replace him.

Agree that we probably won’t re-sign him.

Reactions: zx81

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Scarcity determines value. Only 1 centre left. Multiple bidders. Someone will have to pay up.
Correct.. the TDL is a simple measure of supply & demand. Atm, Money is the only C option with legit value to any number of clubs looking to bolster their roster for a SC run. Having an all-round big veteren 3C with the ability to play any top 6 position is incredibly valuable. Much more valuable than a late 1st and D+1 prospect, or straight up for an A prospect.

I wish MB had moved a couple of our late 1sts when we had our 3 year window with Price.. people in here are nuts if Hugo is going to trade Money for a 2nd rounder, especially in lieu of what Calgary received for Lindholm.

Reactions: Runner77

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Agree with the first part, disagree with the last (previous occurence is enough evidence for me that it is realistic/possible).

We'll see.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Dach can replace him.

Agree that we probably won’t re-sign him.
We need to improve the team, not remain the same. Having both Monahan and Dach is what would benefit this team. A late first, meh, no thanks. It’s time to begin the transition to a competitive club. You trade Monahan and spend the next 5 years trying to get his replacement and throw away Nick/Cole’s prime.

I trust KH will be smart about this. We will see. Much of it depends on Monahan and what he wants to do imo.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We need to improve the team, not remain the same. Having both Monahan and Dach is what would benefit this team. A late first, meh, no thanks. It’s time to begin the transition to a competitive club. You trade Monahan and spend the next 5 years trying to get his replacement and throw away Nick/Cole’s prime.

I trust KH will be smart about this. We will see. Much of it depends on Monahan and what he wants to do imo.

Yes, the reports were that Monahan wants to go to a contender. So, I just hope we can get him back in the offseason, miraculously. I think he really likes Montreal. If he doesn't bond to his new team, it could happen.

Reactions: Skip Bayless

shamrun

Jun 5, 2008
vancouver

What if that first can be flipped for a scoring winger later? Its a tough call. happy i am not the gm. I am really on the fence. I know kirby has a lot of hype but i need to see way more.

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
Lmao no chance I sign Monahan to a 4 or 5 years contract . Forward almost all decline in their early thirties and, We are 2 years away minimum to contend. Monahan will be 31-31yo.

I would 100% trade him at Tdl for the best offer. We can sign him to a short deal this summer if he wants.

We didn’t get anything for Koivu, Kovalev, Komisarek, Souray, Gionta, Danault, Weber, Price, Byron… it’s time to cash in for once. We have the opportunity.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014

I don't disagree with your points but right now we hold the most wanted assets for this upcoming TDL. We also need to capitalise on this.

shamrun

Jun 5, 2008
vancouver
Lmao no chance I sign Monahan to a 4 or 5 years contract . Forward almost all decline in their early thirties and, We are 2 years away minimum to contend. Monahan will be 31-31yo.

I would 100% trade him at Tdl for the best offer. We can sign him to a short deal this summer if he wants.

We didn’t get anything for Koivu, Kovalev, Komisarek, Souray, Gionta, Danault, Weber, Price, Byron… it’s time to cash in for once. We have the opportunity.
Honestly....considering we got 1st already for monahan....And we could flip him again for another 1st round. Amazing management.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

I could see Monahan coming back this summer, as a ufa..................but I am 99% sure, he is gone by the deadline for other assets...........

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Our fanbase has the fascinating ability to both vastly underrate and grossly overrate Habs players' value. We're an intense bunch.

I agree with you about Monahan's value. We won't get the Lindholm return, of course, but the ballpark for me is at least a 1st and small plus, or a prospect selected in the 1st round recently and his trending well.​

Let HuGo cook.
I'm literally a god

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad