Player Discussion Sean Monahan

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
If they plan on trading him there isn't any point in playing him after the break. Teams know what they are getting with him. Good faceoff man with some offense, ideally suited to a third-line role on a good team. I wonder if they want Kaako from NY? It would be cool if we could get him back as a UFA and sign him to another one-year contract but it is probably unlikely.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Habs doctors with Sean Monahan during All Star Break:

1706799265215.png

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
If they plan on trading him there isn't any point in playing him after the break. Teams know what they are getting with him. Good faceoff man with some offense, ideally suited to a third-line role on a good team. I wonder if they want Kaako from NY? It would be cool if we could get him back as a UFA and sign him to another one-year contract but it is probably unlikely.
agreed... be smart Kent

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
he needs to sit until Kent makes a deal... this is WAY to important to gamble on
The multiple serious suitors for Lindholm, the haul paid for him and given how quickly Monahan’s season ended last year, justifies it.

Not saying Monahan will fetch what Lindholm got but there could be a spillover effect as those left holding the bag may aggressively pursue.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
If they plan on trading him there isn't any point in playing him after the break. Teams know what they are getting with him. Good faceoff man with some offense, ideally suited to a third-line role on a good team.
We can't just scratch him for the 14 games before the deadline and it's unlikely that someone meets Hughes' demands this early on. Expect Monahan to play another 10 games. Rangers wouldn't trade Kakko for Monahan, they would make a Kakko trade in the offseason. He's still a good defensive player and they don't want to replace a 22 year old 3rd liner with a 29 year old 3rd liner who's a UFA with injury concerns.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
he needs to sit until Kent makes a deal... this is WAY to important to gamble on
While this would make sense in normal circumstances, in Monahan's case, teams may want to see that he can continue to play and stay healthy...

But I bet Hughes is getting offers from at least some of the teams that missed out on Lindholm as we speak. He has a weak to wait for the right one before we play again.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
So before the trade you doubted Monahan would net a 1st? I don't understand people thinking we were getting a second or a B prospect. Monahan is exactly what all teams need for the po, these kind of assets go for a King's ransom all the time. He was always gonna net a first at least.
Doubt is the right word. It was hard to know for sure. I didn't shoot the idea down as Monahan is valuable on his own merits. But now that the market is forming we can project the return easier

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
14 games left until TDL. A smart gm will wait until the end before buying Monahan. If he stays healthy, I expect a late 1st value + contract for him. Fingers crossed
And if he gets hurt before the trade deadline the excuse is why we have to wait for a better deal which will never get because now he's on the shelf

Reactions: Runner77

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
And if he gets hurt before the trade deadline the excuse is why we have to wait for a better deal which will never get because now he's on the shelf
True . If I’m Kent , the moment I get the late 1st , he’s gone. But like I said , smart gms might want to wait until last minute before submitting that late 1st offer. I wouldn’t accept a 2nd +B prospect type of package early. Our pipeline is full of it. We need 1st round type talent , no more quantity.

Reactions: 1909 and sampollock

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020
Doubt is the right word. It was hard to know for sure. I didn't shoot the idea down as Monahan is valuable on his own merits. But now that the market is forming we can project the return easier
His faceoff numbers, size and responsible play was going to net a 1st if you look at it historically. The thing is that players like Vanek came with a massive cap it, same with Petry, even though his cap hit wasn't huge, no other team could fit it under the cap, we got them at a joke price. Monahan comes with a very low cap hit and is on pace for 60pts, but there's gonna be a lot of conditionnals for the picks we'll get for him because of his injury history.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I will certainly miss him. But having a another 1st pick. It's so genius by Hughes, acquiring 2 1st round for consideration futures lol.

Hughes is a master of trades so far.

Reactions: bcv and dralaf

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
So, I get thread-banned on the mainboards rumors thread for Monahan. Not sure if it's just a bot or not. Have no clue how things work here in that regeard.

My point (and I've edited it for tone so I don't dare infringe on any delicate feelings), was this in reply to someone parsing words on whether Mony was near a ppg player. If anyone here thinks I'm out to lunch with my take here, feel free to let me know:

He's a ppg player right now (1.2 ppg in last 10 games). And I said NEAR and that is clearly subjective. On a contender with proper wingers, he'll do even better. His wingers have been mostly guys like Armia, Ylonen and washed up forwards like Gallagher or offensive black holes like Anderson. And that's clearly what teams who need an excellent center for a playoff push will clearly understand. They will make these posts from the "naysayers" here saying all he'll fetch (if lucky) is a late 2nd look "ridiculous".

And it's hilarious how when it was Lindholm, he was portrayed as a PPG player or NEAR PPG player by the same "posters in this thread", in spite of the fact Lindholm is at .65 ppg overall and .7 ppg over the last 10 games and only one goal. "Typical double-standard on these boards".

Ajhccwrs

Jun 17, 2017
So, I get thread-banned on the mainboards rumors thread for Monahan. Not sure if it's just a bot or not. Have no clue how things work here in that regeard.

My point (and I've edited it for tone so I don't dare infringe on any delicate feelings), was this in reply to someone parsing words on whether Mony was near a ppg player. If anyone here thinks I'm out to lunch with my take here, feel free to let me know:

He's a ppg player right now (1.2 ppg in last 10 games). And I said NEAR and that is clearly subjective. On a contender with proper wingers, he'll do even better. His wingers have been mostly guys like Armia, Ylonen and washed up forwards like Gallagher or offensive black holes like Anderson. And that's clearly what teams who need an excellent center for a playoff push will clearly understand. They will make these posts from the "naysayers" here saying all he'll fetch (if lucky) is a late 2nd look "ridiculous".

And it's hilarious how when it was Lindholm, he was portrayed as a PPG player or NEAR PPG player by the same "posters in this thread", in spite of the fact Lindholm is at .65 ppg overall and .7 ppg over the last 10 games and only one goal. "Typical double-standard on these boards".
What blows me away is people forget not long ago Money Hands was a 1st Line C in the league.

Reactions: Walrus26

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
They don't sit him and he gets hurt
Kent should be held accountable
You’re too funny. All the old dudes here are starting to sound like Helen Lovejoy.

They already received a 1st for him, what the hell do you want? Any player can get hurt at any given moment. Please give us assets for the guy we’re not playing out of fear of injury????

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
You’re too funny. All the old dudes here are starting to sound like Helen Lovejoy.

They already received a 1st for him, what the hell do you want? Any player can get hurt at any given moment. Please give us assets for the guy we’re not playing out of fear of injury????
Players with no injury history are held out of the lineup if they are on the market. Teams would presumably be provided with his medical history anyway.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
What blows me away is people forget not long ago Money Hands was a 1st Line C in the league.
Consider this comment a "like". They've suspended that "privilege". LOL. I still don't get it how our fanbase is constantly flamed and trolled on the main boards and it seems to be no problem. Either way, once and if the trade goes down, they'll all scatter like cockroaches. And I'll be ready with a buffet of steaming hot crow and stacks of plates.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home

ok... if he gets hurt and habs get nothing for him.
then you will just say "oh well" come on

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Proven top 6-9 who can play all positions is 56% on faceoffs, plays both special teams and has about 1M in salary to absorb?

Come on... The debate on whether or not he can fetch alot at the deadline is ridiculous.

Reactions: Toene and Redux91

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
ok... if he gets hurt and habs get nothing for him.
then you will just say "oh well" come on
I can’t freak out over what’s out of my control, this is much like the Panthers 1st scenario last year. Whatever happens, happens. It might not be what I ultimately want, but it’s definitely out of my control.

Saying “Kent should be held accountable” if he gets hurt just seems ridiculous since “Kent” created this situation by acquiring Monahan FOR A 1ST. Seems like he already did a bang up job and anything else is a bonus.

I want the same things for the Habs that you want friend, I just think rhetoric like that is short sighted. I’m also probably giving a passing comment you made too much attention anyway. :)

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I can’t freak out over what’s out of my control, this is much like the Panthers 1st scenario last year. Whatever happens, happens. It might not be what I ultimately want, but it’s definitely out of my control.

Saying “Kent should be held accountable” if he gets hurt just seems ridiculous since “Kent” created this situation by acquiring Monahan FOR A 1ST. Seems like he already did a bang up job and anything else is a bonus.

I want the same things for the Habs that you want friend, I just think rhetoric like that is short sighted. I’m also probably giving a passing comment you made too much attention anyway. :)
good points.. I wont say it again. hope it all works out.. just know if HE does get hurt, this board will light up

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
good points.. I wont say it again. hope it all works out.. just know if HE does get hurt, this board will light up
I know your posting style buddy, I appreciate it and you crack me up a lot too. Say whatever you want. Who cares if I’m having a hissy fit!

Also, it does not take much for this board to light up. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad