Player Discussion Sean Monahan

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
We all love Monahan because he's making 2M this season and there's no financial commitment beyond this year.

You will not feel the same about Monahan when he's making almost 3x as much and another 4-5 years.

Seperate feelings from decisions.

Got to trade him.

Getting something 1st round value back for Monahan after getting a 1st for taking him on would complete a potential cancelation of what was lost in long term assets from the KK/Dvorak and Sergachev/Drouin moves.

Definitely a must trade.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
We all love Monahan because he's making 2M this season and there's no financial commitment beyond this year.

You will not feel the same about Monahan when he's making almost 3x as much and another 4-5 years.

Got to trade him.
I would not feel bad if we got him at 3X as much for 2 yrs. I think of him as a great mentor and would not be adverse to keeping him on a short contract. If we get a "good" offer then yes move him.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
We are two years away from contending for 8th place. I think we’d all agree that we won’t be contenders in two years.

Roy? Maybe. But I’d bet on him being with us out of camp.
I can't agree because it depends on how much of the $24M in cap space we can productively spend.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think it’s a no-brainer to bring him back. You can’t let him go for a late first, that would be terribad. We’d be waiting 3-4 years for a player who will likely never be as good as money.

Trading him and then resigning him is just a fairy tale with a happy ending. There is close to zero chance this happens. If KH wants the player he will simply extend him, I believe he should.

And why would Monahan at this stage of his career with the injury history that he has find montreal to be a more desirable option than a contender?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If he didn’t have health issues, I’d entertain keeping him.

Maximize the asset. We’re in rebuild mode and it makes sense to deal him.And you’re right, he probably would love to be playing for a cup somewhere.

Btw, a late first could yield you Cole Hutson. It’s not like there’s not talent there.
You would really spend a first round pick on another smurf on defense?

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
All for adding skills but then some other smaller, less skilled players on the roster should be moved to optimize asset allocation.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Larry Brooks from last night: NYR apparently “going for it” - Lindholm is top of their list

"By the way, if it is true that the Rangers and Canadiens won’t talk about available third-line center Sean Monahan because there’s some sort of thing going on between Drury and Montreal executive VP Jeff Gorton, that’s probably good for the Blueshirts. Monahan surely will be an overpriced rental. We also have been told that even if the dynamic is not palsy-walsy, it would not stop the teams from striking a deal if one were to make sense."

I don't like that Gorton's personal issues with Drury are impacting our ability to get peak value. Rangers fans should be similarly unhappy.

How old are these guys? Come on.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
And why would Monahan at this stage of his career with the injury history that he has find montreal to be a more desirable option than a contender?
Are you moving the goalpost? Maybe he likes the team, players, atmosphere and management for giving him another chance at getting his career on track.

Let’s not pretend to know what Monohan is thinking and make suggestions based on incomplete knowledge. Why would any player resign with a non contender? I don’t know, but it happens all the time.

I’d much rather keep him.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Are you moving the goalpost? Maybe he likes the team, players, atmosphere and management for giving him another chance at getting his career on track.

Let’s not pretend to know what Monohan is thinking and make suggestions based on incomplete knowledge. Why would any player resign with a non contender? I don’t know, but it happens all the time.

I’d much rather keep him.

What goalposts? If we are going to make a reasonable attempt at predicting Monahan's future, you can't just view it from the Habs perspective. That's an incomplete view.

By the way, I strongly disagree that an injury prone 30 year old who has not had playoff success would willingly stay in a rebuilding program over a contending program. This situation does not "happen all the time".

Let's be practical, here.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site

Got to trade him.

This, even Gallagher, a player evident this past week very much despised around here, would be seen in a completely different light if he had Monahan's current contract.

Monahan is a not a wise longterm investment. (No matter how well he's playing right now, or how much we like him)

Be thankful, he's been healthy and productive for us this year, it's been the perfect scenario to get value for him, and something Hughes was betting on to begin with in the offseason, he had similar hopes last year that were dashed due to Monahan's injuries.

Money is going to be moved and rightfully so. It's just proper asset management.

Good luck in the future Sean, we appreciate you as a human being and for always being a consummate pro. Its been great watching you resurrect your career, I truly hope your injury problems are behind you.

Bye...

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 417

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
What goalposts? If we are going to make a reasonable attempt at predicting Monahan's future, you can't just view it from the Habs perspective. That's an incomplete view.

By the way, I strongly disagree that an injury prone 30 year old who has not had playoff success would willingly stay in a rebuilding program over a contending program. This situation does not "happen all the time".

Let's be practical, here.
You don’t want to extend him, so you’ve reframed the argument to be Monahan not wanting to extend. How about, we let Monahan decide?

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
If we could trade him and gally in a cap freeing space with nothing in return I would be happy with that.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I think it’s a no-brainer to bring him back. You can’t let him go for a late first, that would be terribad. We’d be waiting 3-4 years for a player who will likely never be as good as money.

Trading him and then resigning him is just a fairy tale with a happy ending. There is close to zero chance this happens. If KH wants the player he will simply extend him, I believe he should.
Interesting.
I'm fully in the "re-sign" Monahan camp, and agree that he's more useful to us than a late 1st...

But not so sure about the "trade then sign in the summer" approach being a fairy tale. Yes, it's rare, but so are circumstances like these.

The fit for him in Montreal is clear. His affinity for the city, org., teammates, also clear.
And we have both the cap room & need to offer him a competitive 2-4yr deal, plus the inside medical scoop to presumably feel confident in going to 4yrs of term (presumably if the medical team raises red flags, then the whole thing is moot anyways and trading him is a given).

KH & his agent could easily work out deal parameters to give both sides confidence in the return... And assuming there are more than 1 competitive trade offers, could build greater goodwill by giving him a choice of destinations (including staying put).

That all seems pretty reasonable in my mind and is not out of line with how behind the scenes conversations in the sports world can go...

With his injury history, I can see his desire to get another playoff run experience "just in case", and then happily coming back to a situation he appears to enjoy being in.

I think the biggest risk is him getting injured in the playoffs... But that's not much greater than the risk of injury finishing out the season.

Best case scenario imo.
Then I'd say re-sign
Worst case being keeping him and watching him leave this summer.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
You don’t want to extend him, so you’ve reframed the argument to be Monahan not wanting to extend. How about, we let Monahan decide?

Huh?

What I wan't or don't want doesn't change the chances of monahan being moved.

The relevant question is whether Monahan will be moved, and why or why not.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
The downside of trading him for anything but a great return, is that you just end up trying to replace him with the same type of FA. He seems pretty good for the younger guys and probably helps the rebuild anyways. Trade Harris, Savard, Mattheson first... if possible

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
The downside of trading him for anything but a great return, is that you just end up trying to replace him with the same type of FA. He seems pretty good for the younger guys and probably helps the rebuild anyways. Trade Harris, Savard, Mattheson first... if possible
Crucial trade to come

Reactions: Habs

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016

Monahan is gonna get injured at some point given his injury history and age, IMO.

I say we trade him now to the highest bidder and thank our lucky stars he turned around this year and stayed healthy.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Monahan is gonna get injured at some point given his injury history and age, IMO.

I say we trade him now to the highest bidder and thank our lucky stars he turned around this year and stayed healthy.

that's a good point too, very unlike you sir

• Love
Reactions: River Meadow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad