Player Discussion Sean Monahan

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Rubi, why you make a Sean Monahan thread on the main boards? All it does is have other fans have free reign on ****ting on Monahan when no one actually watches him play. I understand you want other peoples input, but that isn't the place for it, they know even less about the Flames than the media. They think ****ing Bo Horvat is the superior player now and going forward.

I say this in jest because you're free to do what you want, but I find almost anything brought up Flames related on the main boards just turns into 2 fanbases ****ting on the Flames and other fanbases making dumb claims when they have watched 4 Flames games in the entire life.
Actually I think the response has been relatively respectful with the exception of a couple of posts... but every thread is going to attract the occasional idot.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
I am a big Monahan fan. Perennial 30 goal guy, loved by team mates, hell of a shot.

However, Im concerned that he wont be the #1 center to take this team over the top. While his numbers are good, I would rank him around 20th in the league for #1 centers. He is young, but at this point in his career he seems more like a passenger than a play driver, lacks that extra gear, imo.

Does he have what it takes to stand up to the big dogs come post-season?

Reactions: DFF

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
giphy.gif

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
In general, I think that Monahan has a pretty good reputation around the league compared to amongst Flames fans. Kind of like Stamkos.
Because they do not watch him. They just look at hockeydb or their fantasy stats.
He is 6.3 playing like he is 5.6. add little other than being Johnny's coattail.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Monahan is the best center we've had since Joe Nieuwendyk.
Offensively speaking, yeah. But overall the Flames have had a number of two-way centres (Conroy, Langkow, Backlund) who I'd argue have similar value in terms of their ability in terms of defence and transition play.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I am a big Monahan fan. Perennial 30 goal guy, loved by team mates, hell of a shot.

However, Im concerned that he wont be the #1 center to take this team over the top. While his numbers are good, I would rank him around 20th in the league for #1 centers. He is young, but at this point in his career he seems more like a passenger than a play driver, lacks that extra gear, imo.

Does he have what it takes to stand up to the big dogs come post-season?

I think we already have the answer to that question.

Reactions: DFF

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
The entire "can't drive play" narrative is so f***ing stupid when it comes to Monahan, he plays with a player who always wants the puck who can do magical things with the puck so he lets him drive the play.

How is that a bad thing? Anyone who says Mony isn't a play driver is a complete and utter moron. Understand context of what he does on the ice, if he has the puck way more Johnny has it way less.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Needs to keep improving skating and 2-way play and learn how to take the puck to the net

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I think we already have the answer to that question.

I find it humorous that Sean is crucified despite putting up 7 points in the last 9 games during the last 2 series and Johnny is defended to the nines for having 3 points in those same 9 games.

Last time I checked 0.78 pts a game is better than 0.33 points a game but what do I know.

TJ, Sean, and Versteeg were flying against Anaheim in 17 and if Elliot would have put on some pads in games 2,3,4 things would have been different. (.897, .815, .667)

Against the Av's Peters refusal to take entries away from Johnny and this killed the first line. The Avs would simply wait for Johnny to have the puck and then swarm him as he tried to dipsy doodle. Despite that Monahan still put up 2 points including the game tieing goal in game 2. Gaudreau got the second assist if you remember after his shot from the blue line was partially blocked and his assist on that goal only happened because Sam outworked his player shoveling the puck to the slot for Monahan. That was Johnny's only point. But yeah Monahan is the problem. <Sacrcasm>

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
The entire "can't drive play" narrative is so ****ing stupid when it comes to Monahan, he plays with a player who always wants the puck who can do magical things with the puck so he lets him drive the play.

How is that a bad thing? Anyone who says Mony isn't a play driver is a complete and utter moron. Understand context of what he does on the ice, if he has the puck way more Johnny has it way less.
Kind of glass house-y to call people "complete and utter morons" when they disagree with your bad take. Plenty of players play with guys as skilled as Gaudreau and make plays with greater frequency and usefulness than Monahan. Draisaitl with McDavid, Point with Kucherov, Kessel with Malkin, Nylander with Matthews, Tavares with Marner, etc.

The fact that Gaudreau regularly gets boxed in and double-teamed (especially in the playoffs) means that the other two forwards on the line are not pulling their weight in terms of driving play, and the weakest link of the three from last year was clearly Monahan in that regard.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Yes because every NHL players potential in the playoffs is decided and final at 24 years old.

At this point, he is what he is. When Johnny was being man handled behind the net after the whistle, he just stood there. That is the only picture I get when I think Monahan and playoffs.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I find it humorous that Sean is crucified despite putting up 7 points in the last 9 games during the last 2 series and Johnny is defended to the nines for having 3 points in those same 9 games.

Last time I checked 0.78 pts a game is better than 0.33 points a game but what do I know.

TJ, Sean, and Versteeg were flying against Anaheim in 17 and if Elliot would have put on some pads in games 2,3,4 things would have been different. (.897, .815, .667)

Against the Av's Peters refusal to take entries away from Johnny and this killed the first line. The Avs would simply wait for Johnny to have the puck and then swarm him as he tried to dipsy doodle. Despite that Monahan still put up 2 points including the game tieing goal in game 2. Gaudreau got the second assist if you remember after his shot from the blue line was partially blocked and his assist on that goal only happened because Sam outworked his player shoveling the puck to the slot for Monahan. That was Johnny's only point. But yeah Monahan is the problem. <Sacrcasm>

This could be a confidence issue, maybe peters did not trust Monahan enough.

The Kadri trade would have been good because it would have pushed Backlund to the third line and that would have given Monahan more support.

The fact that management wanted to trade for Kadri tells me that they are not 100% with the centers.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Kind of glass house-y to call people "complete and utter morons" when they disagree with your bad take. Plenty of players play with guys as skilled as Gaudreau and make plays with greater frequency and usefulness than Monahan. Draisaitl with McDavid, Point with Kucherov, Kessel with Malkin, Nylander with Matthews, Tavares with Marner, etc.

The fact that Gaudreau regularly gets boxed in and double-teamed (especially in the playoffs) means that the other two forwards on the line are not pulling their weight in terms of driving play, and the weakest link of the three from last year was clearly Monahan in that regard.

I don’t disagree with the point your edits making but the examples your citing are kind of confusing

Like Draisaitl, Point, Tavares >> Monahan
But then
Monahan >> Kessel and Nylander

Two pretty different tiers of player you’re talking about

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

I'm not calling people morons who disagree with my opinion, I'm calling them morons when they say Monahan isn't a play driver when he plays with a guy who has the puck 90% of the time.

I often forget that when I drive a car there are multiple people at the wheel. It's such a stupid, lazy and dumb argument when Flames fans call out Monahan for not driving play when he plays on a line with Gaudreau.

Reactions: SKRusty

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019

I was thinking "finally, someone who doesn't want to crucify Monahan, a 24 year old, for playoff performance." but I didn't even get past the first line before I was disappointed to find it was another classic "Johnny is bad" post. Siiiigh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad