Confirmed with Link: Sean Monahan for a 2024 1st rd pick + conditional '27 3rd rd pick

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Chevy trading away a player = god tier GM

Chevy trading for a player = one of the worst GMs in the league

It's hard being fed the line that because the team is in Winnipeg we have to focus on draft and development and then watch us throw away the best pieces for drafting and developing for players that were on the waiver wire not long ago.
Helle and Scheifele signed 8 year extensions. It’s time ppl realize they did that because the jets are trying to win now. Not in 7 8 years but now. Not in 4 or 5 but now.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
First reaction looking at the price for Monahan......ouch!

Upon further contemplation.....

We needed help on the PP
We needed help on faceoffs
We needed more depth at C.

The very things Monahan brings to the table. At not much of a cap hit.

If Hab fans are correct about his work ethic and team attitude......this could be a nice fit.....
Also it take the cheapest option off the market for team like Colorado, it make it harder and more expensive to make a move now.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Liked his game vs Pens. Need to develop some chemistry. Though, I wonder if McGroarty would have chemistry with Monahan? Perfetti-Monahan-McGroarty looks a bit like the Flames successful line with Gaudreau and Tkachuk.

Reactions: roccerfeller

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Sorry for the loss.

How was Monahans play?
I thought his line was solid and Monahan was playing bumper like you should on the powerplay - Jets just didn't have their legs after the crazy Pittsburgh nightlife I guess...

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
He might be able to get up to speed but those first few steps by Monahan are rough! Those hips aren’t what they used to be.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Helle and Scheifele signed 8 year extensions. It’s time ppl realize they did that because the jets are trying to win now. Not in 7 8 years but now. Not in 4 or 5 but now.
If they're trying to win now you'd think they'd acquire good players then. Not ones teams were putting on waivers and giving away first rounders to get them taken off their hands.

The win now mentality is also how we've got ourselves in this situation so often of being good, but not quite good enough.

Imagine how much better the roster could be if we actually had more first round level players on the team instead of rentals that walk.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
If they're trying to win now you'd think they'd acquire good players then. Not ones teams were putting on waivers and giving away first rounders to get them taken off their hands.

The win now mentality is also how we've got ourselves in this situation so often of being good, but not quite good enough.

Imagine how much better the roster could be if we actually had more first round level players on the team instead of rentals that walk.
if only we had more roslovic/vesalainens on the team! really wish people would look at the odds of late 1st rounds picks that actually have an impact on the team before claiming we would be much better had we kept them... also this is apparently a weaker draft as well so this years 1st round pick probably doesn't hold the same value as others

and in the 13 drafts we've had we had 15 1st rounds picks

Last edited:

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
if only we had more roslovic/vesalainens on the team! really wish people would look at the odds of late 1st rounds picks that actually have an impact on the team before claiming we would be much better had we kept them... also this is apparently a weaker draft as well so this years 1st round pick probably doesn't hold the same value as others

and in the 13 drafts we've had we had 15 1st rounds picks
Emotion over logic.

Someone posted a study on the main forum and from that it looks like about 26% probability of getting a player that plays 100 NHL games in the 25-32 drafting range.

That's just a warm body, most likely a bottom 6.

In that context, logic tells us that that's not much of a sacrifice.

That is also the reason i rather trade for a NHL tested youngster even if we have to add.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
yes because after this year, scheifele & helle are gone so 0 more chances to win....

monahan struck me as more of a secondary piece to a team, rather than a primary. at a 1st+ level, i think this may be the Jets' primary move. i'm fine with the Jets moving a 1st, but was hoping for a better player or a player w/ term than Monahan, & ofc market can influence the price and this TDL stunk for Centres. so it is what it is.

i kind of hope we do not get into the sort of the sequence of moves as we did from 2018-2020 where we spent 2018 1st+2019 1st+Lemieux+Foley+4th for 50ish games of Stastny+Hayes+Eakin to upgrade the 2C (& just to be clear -It has nothing to do w/ "oh trading the next roslovic, vesalainen" etc). You can find a good player usually with multi-years at that trade cost.

Reactions: Jets

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Monahan is playing as a top-6 C on the Jets and scoring at a top-6 rate this year.

If you see the trade as losing a first-rounder for a secondary piece, it looks like poor value.
If you see it as trading a de facto second-rounder (with commensurately lower likelihood of significant impact) for a now-healthy 2C, who could be a difference-maker in the playoffs, it makes a lot more sense.

In the middle of a losing streak nothing looks good. Over the next 10-20+ games, if he stays healthy, I suspect Monahan will justify his cost, and then some.

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
yes because after this year, scheifele & helle are gone so 0 more chances to win....

monahan struck me as more of a secondary piece to a team, rather than a primary. at a 1st+ level, i think this may be the Jets' primary move. i'm fine with the Jets moving a 1st, but was hoping for a better player or a player w/ term than Monahan, & ofc market can influence the price and this TDL stunk for Centres. so it is what it is.

i kind of hope we do not get into the sort of the sequence of moves as we did from 2018-2020 where we spent 2018 1st+2019 1st+Lemieux+Foley+4th for 50ish games of Stastny+Hayes+Eakin to upgrade the 2C (& just to be clear -It has nothing to do w/ "oh trading the next roslovic, vesalainen" etc). You can find a good player usually with multi-years at that trade cost.
I had to go to therapy to get the Eakin experience out of my memory. You just brought it back.

Thanks

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Monahan seems to be getting more comfortable gradually. I thought he played well on Wednesday. He seems to play at a slower pace in the neutral zone......so we'll see how that all fits together.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Jet

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Monahan is playing as a top-6 C on the Jets and scoring at a top-6 rate this year.

If you see the trade as losing a first-rounder for a secondary piece, it looks like poor value.
If you see it as trading a de facto second-rounder (with commensurately lower likelihood of significant impact) for a now-healthy 2C, who could be a difference-maker in the playoffs, it makes a lot more sense.

In the middle of a losing streak nothing looks good. Over the next 10-20+ games, if he stays healthy, I suspect Monahan will justify his cost, and then some.

To your bolded pointy. Over the last 4 games had we traded for Schiefele, Connor, Vilardi, Ehlers they would have all looked like bad acquisitions too. We need to let this play out obviously. Sounds like he looks like he is fitting in so I remain hopeful.

Last edited:

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
So far so meh.

I agree that everyone sucks right now so I'll give it more time.

But so far he's sloooooow. Especially his first few steps which looks like a player with bad hips. I find looking for Monahan is like where's Waldo. He not really in the play a whole lot so far. I usually see an other player on his line and then have to search him out on the ice.

I hope he's going to be able to find some wingers to have some chemistry with and hopefully finds a role in the line.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
To your bolded pointy. Over the last 4 games had we traded for Schiefele, Connor, Vilardi, Ehlers they would have all looked like bad acquisitions too. We need to let this play out obviously. Sounds like he looks like he is fitting in so I remain hopeful.
I dont know about that. Those players are not looking the same as Monahan at all. With Ehlers, Scheifele, Connor, Vilardi and some others I find they are getting chances and not converting. Most of the time it looks like those guys have this slump messing with their heads leading to over passing the puck or poor shot selection. But they have some opportunities and a reason to think they just need a little more confidence or just a lucky goal or two to get back on track.

Monahan just seems to exist.

• Haha
Reactions: HuGo Sham

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I dont know about that. Those players are not looking the same as Monahan at all. With Ehlers, Scheifele, Connor, Vilardi and some others I find they are getting chances and not converting. Most of the time it looks like those guys have this slump messing with their heads leading to over passing the puck or poor shot selection. But they have some opportunities and a reason to think they just need a little more confidence or just a lucky goal or two to get back on track.

Monahan just seems to exist.

I guess we’ll see as this plays out. Hopefully I can watch the game tonight and get a viewing of how he does vs the top team in the West currently.

Reactions: TS Quint

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad