Confirmed with Link: Sean Day signs ELC

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
He made some comments about how he dropped a lot of fat before the draft and is continuing to work hard on his conditioning but people still just want to call him fat regardless of whether or not that's true at this point
He was probably just jealous of all the attention Hayes was getting.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
He made some comments about how he dropped a lot of fat before the draft and is continuing to work hard on his conditioning but people still just want to call him fat regardless of whether or not that's true at this point

relatively speaking, sean day is a big guy. big like solid. not fat, but solid is how i would describe him.

6'3 230 from the spits website

thats a big dude.

he may not be fat but in comparison,

phil Kessel is listed at 6'0 205 and hes considered kinda fat. :laugh:

the average nhl dman is just under 6'2 and 209 lbs. days is @ 21 lbs over the average dman.

big buff is 6'5 260 lbs. hes huge. i would say not fat but large. biggest guy in the league i think.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Happy for him! Hopefully he will have success here. :)

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
I've never seen him play but based on the descriptions I've read he sounds like MDZ

I guess this is as good a thread as any to post some videos showing the typical Sean Day skating style. He just sort of glides. Extremely effortless...almost looking lazy, lol. Anyway, here's 5 videos from this season showing typical Sean Day when he has the puck.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I've never seen him play but based on the descriptions I've read he sounds like MDZ

id say hes nothing like MDZ..MDZ has offensive instincts out the wazoo. Day is just such a smooth skater...if he can work on his gap, and his offensive toolbox, he should be an elite player...but like i said, im expecting strong 3rd pairing defenseman.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Simply outstanding skater that needs to be even fitter.

Find the right type of shutdown game for him with that skating.

He probably ends up back in the O again next year, but he's got legitimate NHL upside in the next 3 years on that skating alone.

Rangers made one hell of a pick if it works out.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
id say hes nothing like MDZ..MDZ has offensive instincts out the wazoo. Day is just such a smooth skater...if he can work on his gap, and his offensive toolbox, he should be an elite player...but like i said, im expecting strong 3rd pairing defenseman.

Same. The passing and head fakes aren't there, but yeah if he can make the right decisions, he becomes similar to a Brendan Smith type of player.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Are the concerns with his hockey IQ so bad? If they are, he really doesn't belong on defense. From his highlights, it seems like wing might be a good fit.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Exceptional status as a 15yo and had some personal issues which derailed his game and growth big time. Stole him IMO in the third and round and when they nabbed him I thought, seems like a Gorton pick. Elite upside and what better group of guys to bring him along? Gorts, Drury, etc. Hope he keeps his head in hockey and enjoys it. Been talk that scouts question how much he loves the sport.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
The Rangers need smart defensemen. They are a low IQ group. Pathetic decision makers. I don't know if it's AV ordering them to float, vacate the slot and chase, chase, chase, but for veterans, these guys are stupid and make rookie mistakes every game. The unforced icings, bad line changes, empty low slot, McDonagh's stupid puck fumbling while walking the line with two men on him. Watch the Kings or Wild defend.

They need 4 dmen who do nothing but defend. Smart, poised, tight gaps, crisp passes, smart reads. The other two can be thoroughbreds. Right now they have 4 low IQ defenders from their own blue line inward -- Staal, Holden, Girardi and Klein. McDonagh's IQ is slightly above average. Skjei gets a mulligan because he's a rookie. Smith is average and probably a goner on July 1st.

Day and Zborovskiy are dumb decision makers. At least in the defensive zone. Tons of God-given skill and upside, but their approach to defending -- reads, slot coverage, body positioning, releasing, anticipation -- are poor. Skjei was excellent at all those things at Minnesota. Give him time and he will play the same way in the NHL.

I'm rooting for Day, but he still makes the same mistakes. Give him two years in the AHL. If he doesn't improve by then, move on.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
He glides a lot but he still stays on his feet and gets there. In the NHL he won't be able to do that so cleanly and uncontested. If he moved his feet more he would look more aggressive but that is deceptive because he is still pretty strong on his stance. Now I haven't seen him a lot but that whole idea that he is lazy is just the way his skating looks which is still pretty outstanding if you are in the ice trying to keep up. I'm sure if he hustles he would look even better.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
He glides a lot but he still stays on his feet and gets there. In the NHL he won't be able to do that so cleanly and uncontested. If he moved his feet more he would look more aggressive but that is deceptive because he is still pretty strong on his stance. Now I haven't seen him a lot but that whole idea that he is lazy is just the way his skating looks which is still pretty outstanding if you are in the ice trying to keep up. I'm sure if he hustles he would look even better.

Aka Kevin Hayes

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
The Rangers need smart defensemen. They are a low IQ group. Pathetic decision makers. I don't know if it's AV ordering them to float, vacate the slot and chase, chase, chase, but for veterans, these guys are stupid and make rookie mistakes every game. The unforced icings, bad line changes, empty low slot, McDonagh's stupid puck fumbling while walking the line with two men on him. Watch the Kings or Wild defend.

They need 4 dmen who do nothing but defend. Smart, poised, tight gaps, crisp passes, smart reads. The other two can be thoroughbreds. Right now they have 4 low IQ defenders from their own blue line inward -- Staal, Holden, Girardi and Klein. McDonagh's IQ is slightly above average. Skjei gets a mulligan because he's a rookie. Smith is average and probably a goner on July 1st.

Day and Zborovskiy are dumb decision makers. At least in the defensive zone. Tons of God-given skill and upside, but their approach to defending -- reads, slot coverage, body positioning, releasing, anticipation -- are poor. Skjei was excellent at all those things at Minnesota. Give him time and he will play the same way in the NHL.

I'm rooting for Day, but he still makes the same mistakes. Give him two years in the AHL. If he doesn't improve by then, move on.

Smart post, this is why I was so high on Cholowski & Fabbro last year. They are smarter players. McAvoy too although I have to admit I didn't think he was going to be as good as he's showing. Shea Theodore is another one.

They need better decision makers + plus better skaters. Minny & LA have better team defense, much more structured & they play a different system.

I think with Day, he reminds a lot of Vlad Malakhov. All the skill in the world, but never showed it game in and out.

With Day, it's more fitness, more skating and shooting on one side & a lot of defensive coaching on the other.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway

Yes, they need to completely overhaul the defense to compete for a cup - I hope they resign Smith - I`ve watch him closely the last two games.
It make no sense to let him go in the summer - if they need cap. move Nash or maybe Henrik due to the age topic.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Some players are so good they may seem to be not giving 100% effort. Seems to me that hes probably been a better player than many in every stage of his growth.

What i see is a smooth skater, and pretty confident in his abilities. More than likely he will soon realize that he will have to "kick it up a notch" as that wont be too successful in the nhl.

He is so young, just may need proper coaching to get him to where he needs to be. The talent is there, maybe he is the next Burns or Buff, able to pkay 2 positions......lol.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

mostly agree with your take here. well done.

couple things

first, this group has little understanding of zone coverage down low and playing a controlled defensive cycle game. its as though theyve never played with each other before. how many times do we have to see both Dmen chase to the corner or behind the net ? how many times will we see both dmen trailing the play in front of hank and not fronting the forward and manning up on the body. basic defense. this group lacks it.

your take on #27 is spot on. hes been terrific recently, really solid, carrying he puck and shutting down his man one on one. his skating is still sublime and his ability to move the puck up and get back and defend the entire length of the ice is top notch.

but good lord is he awful on the pp and he's maybe worse handling pucks on the top and making good plays with the puck when hes all alone at the blue line. hes just void of all offensive IQ. it just isnt there with him.

i wasnt a fan of the smith deal. hes been both good and bad so far. still too early to call. depending on the $$ hes looking for, he may well be non tendered.

as for sean day, i agree. same thoughts. rooting for him but thinking he needs to mature and change many things in order to play with and against men.

i think zborovskiy is still developing and shows signs of being a strong defender with his size and reach. the kid has an nhl frame and hopefully an nhl brain. hes still learning and im hoping 2 years in the A will let him develop his body and defensive technique. i dont see a dumb player here rather a russian kid who needs confidence and some more time to marinate.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Girardi, Staal and Klein are low IQ defenders? That's a new one and really just incorrect. All three of those guys are high IQ defenders with mediocre puck skills and average or below skating, which hampers their ability to fully take advantage of their high IQ levels.

I'm not sure what any of that has to do with a prospect 3 years away.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Girardi, Staal and Klein are low IQ defenders? That's a new one and really just incorrect. All three of those guys are high IQ defenders with mediocre puck skills and average or below skating, which hampers their ability to fully take advantage of their high IQ levels.

I'm not sure what any of that has to do with a prospect 3 years away.

call it what you want.

low defensive IQ

it all shakes out to the same thing. our defense cant defend if we are rolling girardi, klein and staal out there nightly.

sean day, to me, seems like more of the same. low hockey IQ kid with high end skills.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
call it what you want.

low defensive IQ

it all shakes out to the same thing. our defense cant defend if we are rolling girardi, klein and staal out there nightly.

sean day, to me, seems like more of the same. low hockey IQ kid with high end skills.

Literally that last description is the opposite of what G, Staal and Klein are. How can it be more of the same if it's the opposite?

Besides, again, what does that have to do with anything. Girardi has 3 years left on his deal, Klein 1. Staal's NMC expires after next season. By the time Day is likely NHL ready, it's a high probability that none of them will be there anyway. If Day is ready to take that next step and he complements what we have at that time, great. Worrying about it with players he will likely never play with is weird.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad