Confirmed with Link: Sean Day signs ELC

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
While I was never a fan, you could a lot worse than having a Tom Poti on your bottom D pairing.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Glad to see. Supposedly he has made great strides in terms of his defense and consistency this year. One of the scouts earlier in the season said he was finally beginning to look like the player granted exceptional status.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
When he was younger, he was compared to a larger Paul Coffey. Of course, that was before his development hit some serious speedbumps.

Realistically, you are probably looking at Tom Poti as the best case NHL projection if things work out. Which isn't terrible for his draft position. 3-4 offensive d-man with size who doesn't use it enough.

He still has huge bust potential, and of course there's a chance he puts it all together again and turns into a star but don't get your hopes up.

A 3rd round pick not making the NHL is no bust in my opinion.

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
big kid. not fat but whatever the word is right before fat. thats him.

watched him some this year. hot start then cold. hes all over the place. needs to mature.

i question his compete level at times. seems like his motor/effort is inconsistent. the windsor pp run through him. shows good understanding of the pp and is hard to stop with the puck at speed.

ten cent head and compete issues are concerns. no question kid can skate. he moves the puck well and has top end speed for a big guy. smooth carrying the mail on the spits powerplay. booming shot. good solid passer but at times clueless in the zone. gambler with so-so recovey effort.

needs to get smarter, more consistent, more focused and more mature.

hes got endless potential. really top end skills.

hes 2-3 yrs away. if he figures things out, things could look pretty good in the future.

skjei- 6'3 205 Left
graves- 6'4 220 Left
zborovskiy- 6'4 200 Right
day 6'2 230 Left

nice looking group there.

To play devils advocate, I remember drew doughty having concerns with weight and IQ

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think the compete level concerns are just people failing to understand he's a very slow to react player, not a high hockey IQ at all. He looks like he's not giving effort, but he processes the game really slow. I thought the same thing when I saw him at the prospect camp that he wasn't giving effort, and then I think I realized he just processes the game incredibly slow.

He's a good player, but I think its fair to say he hasn't lived up to his ES expectations.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Are you sure about the AHL? I don't believe it slides.

Yes, I'm sure.

In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC.

Day is 19 and signed in 2017, but he doesn't turn 20 until Jan 9th, 2018, so his contract will slide.

Both Anisimov and JT Miller played in the AHL at age 19 and their contracts both slid:

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/artem-anisimov
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/jt-miller

Edit: If Day plays in the AHL, he will count against the 50 SPC limit. If he plays in the CHL, he will not. He also won't get paid if he's in the CHL, other than his signing bonus, which he already got :)

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Oooh, he can play in the AHL too, right? Is the rule 4 junior seasons?

The rule is age 20 (by a certain date, Dec 31st IIRC) or 4 years. Day was given exceptional status, allowing him to begin playing in the CHL at age 15, so he has already played 4 years.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
big kid. not fat but whatever the word is right before fat. thats him.

watched him some this year. hot start then cold. hes all over the place. needs to mature.

i question his compete level at times. seems like his motor/effort is inconsistent. the windsor pp run through him. shows good understanding of the pp and is hard to stop with the puck at speed.

ten cent head and compete issues are concerns. no question kid can skate. he moves the puck well and has top end speed for a big guy. smooth carrying the mail on the spits powerplay. booming shot. good solid passer but at times clueless in the zone. gambler with so-so recovey effort.

needs to get smarter, more consistent, more focused and more mature.

hes got endless potential. really top end skills.

hes 2-3 yrs away. if he figures things out, things could look pretty good in the future.

skjei- 6'3 205 Left
graves- 6'4 220 Left
zborovskiy- 6'4 200 Right
day 6'2 230 Left

nice looking group there.

RE Bolded: I like to refer to it as a "man of size"

RE bolded and underlined: Not sold on Zborovskiy. He'll be in Hartford next year, but I'm not sure he amounts to anything (he's a 4th round pick, so him busting isn't the end of the world)

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
i loved the day pick then..i still love it today. i just have a feeling hes a player whose game translates better in the NHL than in the minors.

He wont put up numbers, but i think he'll be a solid 3rd pairing defenseman in the NHL for years.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Glad to hear, hopefully he can continue to develop and get better and alleviate his issues.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
For some reason I just think Day is going to be really good for us one...day.

I can see him being an absolute machine when it comes to shots on goal and shot attempts. Like a poor man's Shea Weber (without the big physicality and, ya know, I don't see him necessarily scoring 25-30g but who knows).

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
RE Bolded: I like to refer to it as a "man of size"

RE bolded and underlined: Not sold on Zborovskiy. He'll be in Hartford next year, but I'm not sure he amounts to anything (he's a 4th round pick, so him busting isn't the end of the world)

hes an interesting player. im thinking hes going to be a solid bottom pair guy with an outside shoot at 2nd pair minutes.s
doesnt have the sparkle of sean day and lacks the buzz that ryan graves has due to playing in hartford.

plays on powerhouse regina team. he exactly the kind of player we both needs and want to develop. a stay at home defenseman who plays a simple, mature, physical, positionally strong game. hew tall and long so his stick is a weapon. hard to beat him one on one. he plays the body well enough and can skate for a tall kid. has an edge to his game and create alot of leverage. well liked teammate.

hes + 62 this season for a reason. strong team and hes a solid defender. has a plus shot and can make nice stretch passes to spring forwards. not uncomfortable in the O zone at all. looks the part.

once he fills out and gets stronger, hes going to be a very nice 2 way guy who pays close attention to the D Zone.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Yes, I'm sure.
Day is 19 and signed in 2017, but he doesn't turn 20 until Jan 9th, 2018, so his contract will slide.
Both Anisimov and JT Miller played in the AHL at age 19 and their contracts both slid:
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/artem-anisimov
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/jt-miller

Edit: If Day plays in the AHL, he will count against the 50 SPC limit. If he plays in the CHL, he will not. He also won't get paid if he's in the CHL, other than his signing bonus, which he already got :)

ok, so in an AHL 'slide' year,
(a)he gets paid the AHL salary in his contract?
and (b) contract becomes a 4 year contract?

RE the 10-game limit, i believe that only applies to whether the season counts as an NHL season for waiver and FA considerations

thanks

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
ok, so in an AHL 'slide' year,
(a)he gets paid the AHL salary in his contract?
and (b) contract becomes a 4 year contract?

RE the 10-game limit, i believe that only applies to whether the season counts as an NHL season for waiver and FA considerations

thanks
It's 40 games for free agency purposes. 10 for slide rule.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Husky and festively plump are also acceptable

JNMMZqi.jpg

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I rather he stay in juniors with competent coaching. Which he's not going to get in Hartford

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I rather he stay in juniors with competent coaching. Which he's not going to get in Hartford

I know the popular opinion is that Gernander is a bad coach, but what's the actual proof of this? The team sucks, but they don't have enough good players. It seems like people are expecting Gernander to turn lead into gold, to take marginal prospects and turn them into productive NHLers.

Kreider, Miller, McDonagh, Fast, Lindberg, Zucc, Skjei. They all played in Hartford under Gernander. They all turned out well.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I know the popular opinion is that Gernander is a bad coach, but what's the actual proof of this?
'A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth.' - Daniel Kahneman

Maybe there is a convincing case to be made that he's horrible. I haven't seen it.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I feel like his skating abilities are enough to make him a top 4 defenseman. Maybe I'm alone in this but that's what I think of this kid. He's got size and he can use it, he's got a great first pass and stretch pass, very good at dangling the blue line, and can run a power play

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Isn't Day walking around at like 12% body fat? That isn't fat or anything close to it.

He made some comments about how he dropped a lot of fat before the draft and is continuing to work hard on his conditioning but people still just want to call him fat regardless of whether or not that's true at this point

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I feel like his skating abilities are enough to make him a top 4 defenseman. Maybe I'm alone in this but that's what I think of this kid. He's got size and he can use it, he's got a great first pass and stretch pass, very good at dangling the blue line, and can run a power play

I mean look at Skjei...his skating ability has really allowed him to do a lot more than one would have expected. He can skate the puck out of the zone easily, he has a decent pass, doesn't dangle much but can move the puck without needing to...part of all that being successful for him is he has gotten better and better at reading the ice at the NHL level and knowing how to use his skating to his advantage and that's what Day will have to do. It's not really quite good enough to just be a great skater there's a lot to learning how to use it and how to read the ice and the play so you know when to skate it, when to pass it, and how to do that effectively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad