Confirmed with Link: Sean Day signs ELC

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Literally that last description is the opposite of what G, Staal and Klein are. How can it be more of the same if it's the opposite?

Besides, again, what does that have to do with anything. Girardi has 3 years left on his deal, Klein 1. Staal's NMC expires after next season. By the time Day is likely NHL ready, it's a high probability that none of them will be there anyway. If Day is ready to take that next step and he complements what we have at that time, great. Worrying about it with players he will likely never play with is weird.

should have clarified. the end result is the same.

supposedly high IQ guys with diminishing skills.

low IQ guy with high end skills.

both net you the same unproductive player.

im hoping for high IQ player with skills. thats why im expecting kevin shattenkirk to sign here this summer.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Thanks! Doesn't he have wheels? The only thing I know about this guy is that he was considered the best skater in his draft class, that doesn't exactly scream Tom Poti to me, though I trust what you're saying.

A better skating Poti :) I should have noted that.

But as someone noted, getting a Tom Poti-type player out of the third round is a win. Especially with limited minutes on lower pairings so you don't get too frustrated with them.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think Day gets wrongfully accused of not caring because moving on the ice is pretty much effortless for him. He creates separation from players with ease and it looks like hes going at 25%.

I don't know if the conditioning issues are still there, but from what I've seen the poor IQ does apply to this player. Keeping things simple is a term I hate when describing what any athlete needs to do, but thats exactly the route that Day needs to take, a 3rd pair D with his skill set would be great.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
A better skating Poti :) I should have noted that.

But as someone noted, getting a Tom Poti-type player out of the third round is a win. Especially with limited minutes on lower pairings so you don't get too frustrated with them.

You are right. Getting a player of Tom Poti's level career with a 3rd round pick is a very good selection. We have had some great luck with 3rd round picks but we shouldn't expect that luck to continue. That is why it was important for us to get back in to the first round. We traded 4 1st round picks. I look at Nash/Buch as a better than equal swap for our #14 pick (became Kirby Rychl) in that trade. I look at signing Hayes, and Vesey as a better than equal alternative to the late 1st round picks we sent Tampa. So in my mind the only catching up we have to do is replace the 1st round pick we sent Arizona.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
mostly agree with your take here. well done.

couple things

first, this group has little understanding of zone coverage down low and playing a controlled defensive cycle game. its as though theyve never played with each other before. how many times do we have to see both Dmen chase to the corner or behind the net ? how many times will we see both dmen trailing the play in front of hank and not fronting the forward and manning up on the body. basic defense. this group lacks it.

This is mainly a result of the system the Rangers run which I"m not really a fan of...these guys didn't get to the NHL level by being "dumb low hockey IQ defensemen who can't do basic peewee level defense", they know how to play the kind of game you're talking about, but that's not the kind of game the coaches are asking them to play. As I said I'm not really a fan of the system but I think if you had a more traditional style coaching with zone defense then they'd play that just fine. Several of these guys even did so under Torts and did pretty well in it.

your take on #27 is spot on. hes been terrific recently, really solid, carrying he puck and shutting down his man one on one. his skating is still sublime and his ability to move the puck up and get back and defend the entire length of the ice is top notch.

but good lord is he awful on the pp and he's maybe worse handling pucks on the top and making good plays with the puck when hes all alone at the blue line. hes just void of all offensive IQ. it just isnt there with him.

He's not awful on the power play. He's not great at it, but he distributes the puck OK and works to create shooting lanes and he gets the puck through. His big problems are that he doesn't have a dangerous shot so his wrist shots that get through are just to get the puck on net and cross the fingers that a forward in front can do something (and I guess I could say that his ability to get the puck through to the goalie while at the same time getting it on net while a teammate is in position to screen the goalie may not be that great) and he doesn't have a ton of passing creativity from the point, so he's mostly just moving it off to the guys on the walls if he needs to.

I'd happily run someone else out there instead of McDonagh but he's not really awful on the power play either.

i wasnt a fan of the smith deal. hes been both good and bad so far. still too early to call. depending on the $$ hes looking for, he may well be non tendered.

Only have seen the last two games of Smith and liked a lot of what I've seen. No big mistakes, much better and more aggressive with his gaps and positioning in the neutral zone, has generally moved the puck well, and while I'm not a huge fan of going down to block passes, the times I've seen him do it have been done smartly and at an angle that really does prevent a pass.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Girardi, Staal and Klein are low IQ defenders? That's a new one and really just incorrect. All three of those guys are high IQ defenders with mediocre puck skills and average or below skating, which hampers their ability to fully take advantage of their high IQ levels.

I'm not sure what any of that has to do with a prospect 3 years away.

I don't know if I'd call Klein low IQ, but I always thought that even when he was at his best last year, he was kind of overrated defensively. He made some pretty big defensive blunders. His best defensively in his career was nowhere near Girardi and Staal's best, and I think even though he was much better last season than he's been this season, he was maybe a little underrated offensively, and a little overrated offensively.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Day gets wrongfully accused of not caring because moving on the ice is pretty much effortless for him. He creates separation from players with ease and it looks like hes going at 25%.

I don't think its that. No one accuses Kreider of not caring.

I think the problem with Day is he's so slow to react because his hockey IQ is so low, so it looks like he doesn't care, but he's just not processing things fast enough.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't think its that. No one accuses Kreider of not caring.

I think the problem with Day is he's so slow to react because his hockey IQ is so low, so it looks like he doesn't care, but he's just not processing things fast enough.

Yeah and everyone who bagged on Kreider's lack of hockey sense looks pretty dumb now. It was never a lack of hockey sense for Kreider, it was always a drive/confidence thing.

With Day, he looks like the classic case of a guy who was so much bigger/faster than his peers growing up that he never developed certain things and also developed some bad habits. Some things have been smoothed out (though this is the type of player who can make one mistake and the masses will blow it out of proportion because of his reputation, I've already seen a bit of it in this thread) but hes got a ways to go.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
People absolutely bagged on kreider for "not caring" but beyond that his skating style isn't even vaguely similar to Day's. Kreider is all about raw explosive power, not effortless speed. When Kreider skates fast you know it because he's suddenly rocketing down the ice with one of the more powerful strides in the league

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I don't know if I'd call Klein low IQ, but I always thought that even when he was at his best last year, he was kind of overrated defensively. He made some pretty big defensive blunders. His best defensively in his career was nowhere near Girardi and Staal's best, and I think even though he was much better last season than he's been this season, he was maybe a little underrated offensively, and a little overrated offensively.

At their career best both G and Staal were bona fide 1st pair defensively. Klein was never at that level and I doubt there'd be any argument there. He is in the same mold though and as Tawnos stated it has little to nothing to do Day's player profile (skating, puck handling and a shot as positives; gap control, decision making and effort as negatives).

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Yeah and everyone who bagged on Kreider's lack of hockey sense looks pretty dumb now. It was never a lack of hockey sense for Kreider, it was always a drive/confidence thing.

With Day, he looks like the classic case of a guy who was so much bigger/faster than his peers growing up that he never developed certain things and also developed some bad habits. Some things have been smoothed out (though this is the type of player who can make one mistake and the masses will blow it out of proportion because of his reputation, I've already seen a bit of it in this thread) but hes got a ways to go.

theres some truth in this.

at 15 he was a gifted kid who had unique status in major junior that few kids have. at that time, he was special.

now hes just another kid playing major junior.

hes similar in some ways to mcilrath. dylan was bigger, meaner and tougher than most of the kids in the W and he grabbed attention for being a tough guy rather than a gifted hockey player. in the end, the skills need to be better to be an nhl player. the toughness only takes you so far.

sean day was a gifted skater and a big kid from day 1. the hockey part came easy to him. its the thinking thing and the maturity plus some bad family stuff that sent him off the rails. time for his brian to play catchup and for him to learn how to play hockey like a pro.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Girardi, Staal and Klein are low IQ defenders? That's a new one and really just incorrect. All three of those guys are high IQ defenders with mediocre puck skills and average or below skating, which hampers their ability to fully take advantage of their high IQ levels.

I'm not sure what any of that has to do with a prospect 3 years away.

Releasing from the slot to cover a guy behind the net who is already covered is a low IQ play. Remind you of anybody?

Forcing the puck through the neutral zone or icing it when your partner on the weak side is wide open are low IQ plays. Remind you of anybody?

Allowing your man in the slot to get behind you and then you tip opposing shots past your own goalie is a low IQ play. Remind you of anybody?

Cheating towards the shooter then diving towards him on a 2-on-1 is a low IQ play, especially when the goalie playing the shooter in Henrik Lundqvist. Remind you of anybody.?

Not taking a hit to move the puck cleanly is a low IQ play. Remind you of anybody?

Completely disagree with you. Completely. You can have stone hands and skate in quicksand and not do all of the above.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Releasing from the slot to cover a guy behind the net who is already covered is a low IQ play. Remind you of anybody?

Forcing the puck through the neutral zone or icing it when your partner on the weak side is wide open are low IQ plays. Remind you of anybody?

Allowing your man in the slot to get behind you and then you tip opposing shots past your own goalie is a low IQ play. Remind you of anybody?

Cheating towards the shooter then diving towards him on a 2-on-1 is a low IQ play, especially when the goalie playing the shooter in Henrik Lundqvist. Remind you of anybody.?

Not taking a hit to move the puck cleanly is a low IQ play. Remind you of anybody?

Completely disagree with you. Completely. You can have stone hands and skate in quicksand and not do all of the above.

Hey! I like your posts dude.

It's like those dumb NHL players on EA.

They're zone defense oriented players now.

The skating speed of some of the Eastern skaters, their patterns, fatigue, injuries mileage...

They can't keep up.

These players would all be better off in the West. Rangers simply need one reliable RHD + Shattenkirk from those three to really be that elite speed and puck movement team.

More like cup finals Tampa.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Day's made some large strides, but there is still a lot of work to be done.

As others have mentioned, the biggest challenge facing Day is that, overall, he just doesn't read the game very well. At the higher level, I don't think his skating will be enough to cover the mistakes he's making now. I think at this point, in the OHL, it's not a matter of putting the pieces together. He has his strengths and he has his shortcomings. And it's a matter of limiting those shortcomings and not hoping that he magically develops a way to reverse them.

So the challenge for Day moving forward will be to find a comfort zone with keeping his game pretty meat and potatoes and playing within that safety zone. If he does that, he could have a solid NHL career. If he doesn't, he'll be playing in the Swiss league within 5 years.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
He really has a nice stride. He also is more advanced than many when it comes to handling the puck at his age. You can tell he is used to being slashed and stick checked so he prevents it in the manner he carries the puck.

Usually I only note his skating, and not his puck handling. That was some pretty slick puck-handling right there.

I think the main concern right now is how well he can see the ice and use his teammates. We see lots of individual end-to-end rushes, but little vision or coordination with his teammates.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Usually I only note his skating, and not his puck handling. That was some pretty slick puck-handling right there.

I think the main concern right now is how well he can see the ice and use his teammates. We see lots of individual end-to-end rushes, but little vision or coordination with his teammates.

Those are the questions that have been around for a while. I think he got better as the tournament went on last summer. He may make some questionable decisions but thats why we were able to get him. His skating is top 7 pick quality imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad