3 Stars, i guess

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
that's interesting but why is Hank an outcast? because he's old and declining? because he hasn't demanded a trade off for the sake of the team? it's not his fault management gave him that contract and he's fulfilling it and the rest of the team isn't happy with him now that they're rebuilding and he's no longer a vezina quality goalie while some stuff netminders are on the way up
He's an outcast because one time he yelled and Brady Skjei and made him sad, and Stepan told him to calm down. He's a big meanie poopoo head. :(

Black Aces

Oct 4, 2008
Zib looked better as it went on, Buchnevich was decent, Kakko and Gauthier solid. That's it? I guess Howden wasn't as terrible as usual.

Trouba, DeAngelo were shit. Tony finishing the night with a dumb penalty. Fox...f*** me. Smith did okay. Lindgren I thought was good and aggressive getting into the play.

Lunker was great. First goal was iffy, no chance in the other two. A number of excellent saves. Yes, his rebound control is bad, but all in all he played a good game and if the team in front of him matched his performance, we would have won.
I think Z didn't have legs like we saw before the pause.

I thought Howden had trouble keeping pace.

I think the whole D was bad. They handled the puck horribly and turned it over numerous times.

He can't play the puck and his rebounds aren't great but Lundqvist gave them a chance.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
No idea if this has anything to do with the play in front of Hank and even the play of Panarin but I have an insider scoop from Panarin. My buddy worked with Varlamov all throughout COVID and one weekend Panarin was with them to skate. This was right when his escrow post came out. And my buddy said 1) Panarin didn't care about practicing during that issue and was enjoying his vodka. 2) he said Hank is pretty much an outcast on the team. Once Zucc was traded he's been a loner and keeping to himself and some guys aren't the biggest fan of him.
Wonder if guys really do play better for Igor and Georgie than Hank. And hopefully Panarin shows up the rest of the series.
Hank being a 38 year old on a team of guys in their early 20s seems like it might make him be a bit of an outcast on the surface. Like the old man. But from all we’ve heard and seen it seems like he’s a consummate pro and great teammate. I’m not gonna let gossip cloud any judgement of that for me.

Plus if the fact that he’s an outcast means his teammates aren’t playing hard for him? That would be insanely horrible of the skaters not Lundqvist.

mti79

May 11, 2007
why press box him then? he at least should dress as the backup then over georgiev if Hank has a bad start

Not saying it's true but the reason is to take away the second guessing. If shesty is on the bench then it's why didn't you start him. If you say he's unfit to play, there's your built in excuse

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
If Fast can't play Monday, move Kakko and Gauthier up and find a new 4th line. Roll the dice on Kravtsov.

Ya, like I don't want to see Lettieri or Gettinger doing absolutely nothing for 6 minutes a game.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Also I’ll say again our veterans playing like hot garbage isn’t surprising

They know these play-in games are a joke, and it shows by their play

I don't think effort was the issue, I think it was execution. Guys were just flat out missing passes that they made all through the regular season.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
This game is summed up in 0-7 on the PP and stupid undisciplined penalties from us. Horrible PKing as well. Just bleeding high quality chances.

I really don’t understand anyone blaming Lundqvist. He looked shaky for the first 10 (first start since February will do that)or so but he was damn good the rest of the way. Made tons of very high danger saves. The GWG was off Staal for Christ’s sake.
I don't get it either. Go 0 for 7 on the PP and lose by one goal=goalie's fault?

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Proud of Lundqvist, Smith, Kakko, and Gauthier. Those guys left everything out there today.

Special teams needs work.

Panarin floated around the perimeter like Rick Nash today. But he has a good track record in the playoffs and I expect him to bring it on Monday.

Carolina is simply a bigger, deeper, and more experienced team.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Not saying it's true but the reason is to take away the second guessing. If shesty is on the bench then it's why didn't you start him. If you say he's unfit to play, there's your built in excuse
Quinn is not going to press box Hank. It’s not going to happen. Nor should it honestly. He was very good today so that only reaffirms him as 2nd in the depth chart.

Black Aces

Oct 4, 2008
I got to second this, I am not impressed with him. Maybe a good puppeteer for Gorton to get his will through during the rebuild (play the kids). But he can’t “coach”. We play ways that cost us games that we shouldn’t do.
This could be true.

I dont want to overreact but I suspect he will be the coach of the team until they are really ready. I would wait to see next year to decide on this.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
We are a completely different team without Shesterkin. We’re this team that you just saw. Hank religiously for years now gets best in the first couple mins of a game. It’s like clockwork and then as Sam says we chased the rest of the way.

But when it comes to Shesterkin it’s not just his ability to make saves he completely changes the break out he kills momentum for the opponent by hanging on to pucks.

I cannot believe he did not play today I don’t know what could be the issue if they fully expect him to be ready to go in 48 hours but this is not the team that belongs in the playoffs. We aren’t a playoff team without him. He makes us better in a lot of different ways.

Now having said that I think Quinn was lost without Fast he juggled way to much

I thought Panarin was awful especially the first half of the game. He got better as it went along.

tony D without his swagger is not tony d. He was awful again today he’s looked awful for a week now. What injury he has it’s hurting him

Mika was not Mika

Strome is a nobody if Panarin isn’t at his best

you can’t go 0-7 on the pp and win at any level

Only positive if knocked the rust off and most likely shouldn’t have to worry about who’s going to be the goalie going forward. It will he Shesterkin if he’s healthy.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Quinn, good insight

Too much perimeter play, gotta get inside. Being tough isn't big hits and running people.

Reactions: NYR94

mti79

May 11, 2007
Quinn is not going to press box Hank. It’s not going to happen. Nor should it honestly. He was very good today so that only reaffirms him as 2nd in the depth chart.
Never said to press box Hank. I'm saying if you dress Igor behind him, you're inviting a lot of questions. If Igor is in the stands, you can't question the decision to start Hank because nobody is clamoring for Georgie

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
No idea if this has anything to do with the play in front of Hank and even the play of Panarin but I have an insider scoop from Panarin. My buddy worked with Varlamov all throughout COVID and one weekend Panarin was with them to skate. This was right when his escrow post came out. And my buddy said 1) Panarin didn't care about practicing during that issue and was enjoying his vodka. 2) he said Hank is pretty much an outcast on the team. Once Zucc was traded he's been a loner and keeping to himself and some guys aren't the biggest fan of him.
Wonder if guys really do play better for Igor and Georgie than Hank. And hopefully Panarin shows up the rest of the series.

And my best friends sister's cousin saw Ferris at 31 flavors last night.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Proud of Lundqvist, Smith, Kakko, and Gauthier. Those guys left everything out there today.

Special teams needs work.

Panarin floated around the perimeter like Rick Nash today. But he has a good track record in the playoffs and I expect him to bring it on Monday.

Carolina is simply a bigger, deeper, and more experienced team.
Agreed on Panarin. Was playing on the outside very intentionally. Didn’t seem interested in puck battles.

Really really concerns me.

lemonybergamot

Jun 2, 2018
New York City
that's interesting but why is Hank an outcast? because he's old and declining? because he hasn't demanded a trade off for the sake of the team? it's not his fault management gave him that contract and he's fulfilling it and the rest of the team isn't happy with him now that they're rebuilding and he's no longer a vezina quality goalie while some stuff netminders are on the way up

He's the oldest on the team, established family man, it could be different lifestyles as well. He could be considered an outcast because he doesn't fit in with the youth, and cliques of the team.. Maybe his past reputation for being super demanding of his teammates (not that that's bad imo), and yelling at them (not that that's bad either imo). Sure they all respect his career, but Hank is the passenger at this point, not the driver. Maybe players think to themselves "This old man shouldn't be dictating our play anymore"

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Completely agree on execution. Bad decision making, off target passes, fumbled pucks, bad timing at the blue line for much of this one. Was tough to watch. I get that those things don’t just come back immediately at the same level but it just looked like a team that was not as well prepared in that regard as their opponent.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
that makes more sense. but to others points, Hank is 38 and clearly the third best goalie at this point despite his playoff experience and resume. I don't know why they bother dressing him at all, they need netminders who can steal them a series and Hank cannot anymore, the other two can. sure Hank is a Wiley enough old vet to steal you a playoff game here and there but I think Quinn is basically causing more issues for himself instead of just dressing the two young guys and say we're going to ride the hot hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad