Post-Game Talk: SCQ #1 - 8/1/20 | RANGERS @ hurricanes

3 Stars, i guess

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
So why was Shesterkin out? I know he was unfit to play, injury, blah blah blah. Any details? I suspect the team wanted to give Henrik a chance to start. At least that's my hope. An actual injury would be unfortunate.

You can’t be serious

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
He wasn’t great but he looked like Patrick Mahomes compared to Panarin
Yeah Panarin’s only noticeable shift in the entire game led to Staal’s goal (for us, not the one he scored against us).

We can’t win 3 of the next 4 if our top guns don’t show up. It’s great Chytil and Kakko looked good but if Mika, Panarin, Kreider, Strome, ADA and those guys don’t turn it on then we’re screwed.

Reactions: Leetch3 and Avery16

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
So why was Shesterkin out? I know he was unfit to play, injury, blah blah blah. Any details? I suspect the team wanted to give Henrik a chance to start. At least that's my hope. An actual injury would be unfortunate.
The team isn’t allowed to give details

of course ppl run with that and call conspiracy lol

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Yeah Panarin’s only noticeable shift in the entire game led to Staal’s goal (for us, not the one he scored against us).

We can’t win 3 of the next 4 if our top guns don’t show up. It’s great Chytil and Kakko looked good but if Mika, Panarin, Kreider, Strome, ADA and those guys don’t turn it on then we’re screwed.
Trouba needs to find another gear also.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I give Kreider a bit of a pass after his injury but Zib, Panarin and Strome have no excuse for not showing up game ready, whatever issue DeAngelo has going on he gets a pass too but I dont wanna see him on pp1 after the first period if he is the same as today on Monday.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

Sure, but I think the point is that insofar as we are a 'building' team, having the youth finally start to show some progression when it was the veterans doing most of the heavy lifting this regular season is very refreshing. (With the obvious exception of the defense, obviously, where Fox ADA and Lindgren were the stars)

So if we do lose the series because the veterans are on a cold streak, but we see promising signs that Chytil and Kakko are getting closer to top 6 level, I'd say that's not all bad.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I’m not saying that’s why we lost. Just that Igor could have helped a little more in many different ways (it may have helped, it may not have). Just like Hank did more with less talent for most of his career. We were still bad today, but Igor can steal games for a team that doesn’t deserve to win. Hank is still good and he gave us a chance, but he can’t do that, even though it wasn’t his fault. I’m just saying that Igor can go the extra mile. I’m not blaming Hank. We lost because we sucked. But elite goalies like Igor can win games regardless. I’m convinced that maybe only 3 goalies in the world could have stolen that game for us, and we have one of those on this team. I suck at articulation. I still feel like I haven’t made my point.

Sorry, just to add so there's no misunderstanding - I'm not advocating Hank over Igor. I'm on the same page with you about that. What I am saying is that, as usual, goaltending was the least of our problems today and perhaps hoping for or focusing on some miracle Igor game probably isn't where our head(s) should be. The rest of the what the team was doing beyond goaltending is what the Rangers should be looking at to improve.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
I get what you're saying but there is just no way the NHL would allow a covid-positive player into the arena. There is zero upside and infinite downside. It is probably the first bullet point in their protocol.

You're probably right. Quinn didn't exactly sound 100% confident he would be ready for game two which is making me wonder what it could be then.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
On a scale of bad from the team today, Fox doesn't register.
That said, he is a rookie playing his first playoff game. I thought he handled it well.
The bigger problem was the Canes forecheck.
Yeah because our one defenseman capable of settling the game down did the exact opposite today. Those 15-20 minutes of relief from the other team's relentless pressure we normally have went poof.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Escrow related, he's obviously been practicing for the last month but the prior to that it sounds like he wasn't.
I mean, we don’t see him on a daily or weekly basis but, he did vacation with his model fiancée for like a month. Kinda hard not to notice it when he’s posting it on Instagram.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Sure, but I think the point is that insofar as we are a 'building' team, having the youth finally start to show some progression when it was the veterans doing most of the heavy lifting this regular season is very refreshing. (With the obvious exception of the defense, obviously, where Fox ADA and Lindgren were the stars)

So if we do lose the series because the veterans are on a cold streak, but we see promising signs that Chytil and Kakko are getting closer to top 6 level, I'd say that's not all bad.
Sure, it won’t be all bad in the grand scheme. I’m just talking as someone wanting to see them win the Cup this year (as unrealistic as that is I just mean as a fan rooting for them in the playoffs).

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Think Quinn deserves a fair bit of blame too. I mean it is supposed the coach's job to get the team ready to play, to try and find an answer to the other team's tactics (Islanders clogging the middle, Canes forecheck and pressure) and the PP and PK setups are all wrong.

Reactions: Mikos87

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Think Quinn deserves a fair bit of blame too. I mean it is supposed the coach's job to get the team ready to play, to try and find an answer to the other team's tactics (Islanders clogging the middle, Canes forecheck and pressure) and the PP and PK setups are all wrong.

Yep quinn’s fault when we lose inspite of him when we win. We get it

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Yeah because our one defenseman capable of settling the game down did the exact opposite today. Those 15-20 minutes of relief from the other team's relentless pressure we normally have went poof.

Is that what you took away from watching Fox? I thought he was composed and made some really smart plays. He was far from perfect but he showed himself well in his first playoff game.
Remember, unless your last name is Orr, a successful breakout is a more about team structure than individual ability. There were many times that Fox escaped the forecheck, made the first pass, only to have the puck turned right back at him.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Not for nothing but this is from the Canes GDT in the third period:
You need to consider that Hank has played some of his best hockey versus the Canes over the last couple of seasons. They are a bit biased.
Bottom line is if Hank had played as well as he has played against the Canes for the remainder of the season, he would be the clear cut starter.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
You're not wrong about Shesterkin impacting the game with his ability to move the puck, but today, to me, it seemed like Carolina generated most of their pressure on controlled entries or in transition. They had no problem gaining the zone which would sort of mitigate the benefit you'd see from an aggressive, skilled puck handling goaltender. Lundqvist has always sucked moving the puck but I don't think it had much of an impact today.

SEVEN futile PP in a 2:3 game. Simple.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Sorry, just to add so there's no misunderstanding - I'm not advocating Hank over Igor. I'm on the same page with you about that. What I am saying is that, as usual, goaltending was the least of our problems today and perhaps hoping for or focusing on some miracle Igor game probably isn't where our head(s) should be. The rest of the what the team was doing beyond goaltending is what the Rangers should be looking at to improve.
Co-sign

Igor needs to play if healthy. Hank was not the problem today and will not be the problem going forward if the rest of the games play out the way today’s did with him in net.

Both of these things can be true at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad