3 Stars, i guess

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
You mean the completely empty arena with no one within 10,000 feet of him?

Press, arena workers, NHL staff, etc.

When someone gets covid it's pretty much stay home for two-four weeks, take it easy, and not be around people. Do not stress the body even something like walking up a few flights of stairs.

I got mono in my early-20s and even though I was fine after a few days for the sake of my kidneys the doctors said no gym and they had to write a letter to my job saying absolutely zero lifting boxes or server room work.

Reactions: Hi ImHFNYR

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
It makes no sense. Even removing the fact that Lundqvist is one of the best Rangers of all time, the eagerness to seemingly root for him to fail is wild. When Hank got hurt and Talbot took over in 2015 did anyone root for the Rangers to lose? Did people vilify Talbot and not want to admit when he played well? Of course not. Even the biggest Hank fanboys happily rooted for Talbot to play lights out. If anything Hank should be getting an extra benefit of the doubt from the fanbase but instead it’s like he’s judged with an anchor around his neck.

He just played extremely well today and people are actually blaming him for the loss. I feel like that’s a crazy level of bias, even if it’s not intentional. He was very good today. He played well enough to win. His team went 0-7 on PPs and got our chances all game. Marc Staal scored the GWG on him. Are we really blaming literally anyone else if they’re in net for this game and the exact same shots go in? I don’t care if it’s Mike Dunham in net, if he performed identical to Lundqvist did today then the goalie wasn’t the problem. If anything the goalie played well enough to almost steal the game. Staal not kicking the puck into the net would’ve gone a long way.

Last thing I'll say before I head out but there's been this weird thing with the Rangers fans and Lundqvist since about 2015. I think him not having a great series vs. Tampa in 2015 started it that offseason, the throwing the net in Pittsburgh during the regular season game in 2016, the relax exchange with Stepan during the 2017 Ottawa series, and all the times he yelled and gave DMen the evil eye during this rebuild, there's a percentage that has had it and wants him gone. I don't think it impacts feelings of his number going to the rafters, but they're ready to move on. Right or wrong that is not why I'm posting this (I think you move on from him this offseason for cap) but this divorce has been brewing for a few years now.

Reactions: Hi ImHFNYR

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I’m not saying that’s why we lost. Just that Igor could have helped a little more in many different ways (it may have helped, it may not have). Just like Hank did more with less talent for most of his career. We were still bad today, but Igor can steal games for a team that doesn’t deserve to win. Hank is still good and he gave us a chance, but he can’t do that, even though it wasn’t his fault. I’m just saying that Igor can go the extra mile. I’m not blaming Hank. We lost because we sucked. But elite goalies like Igor can win games regardless. I’m convinced that maybe only 3 goalies in the world could have stolen that game for us, and we have one of those on this team. I suck at articulation. I still feel like I haven’t made my point.

The fallacy here is that you're also assuming that every save Hank made that Igor would've made - which might not have been the case. Does he handle the puck better? Sure. Is he probably a lot more likely to be nervous in his first NHL "playoff" game? Sure. You can make whatever assumption you want but, IMHO, he doesn't make the difference in this game and I think Hank had a great game. Carolina had more chances, better chances, better special teams, didn't lose their best PK'er early in the game, and don't have to throw Marc Staal out there every 3 minutes.

I'll agree to disagree.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Last thing I'll say before I head out but there's been this weird thing with the Rangers fans and Lundqvist since about 2015. I think him not having a great series vs. Tampa in 2015 started it that offseason, the throwing the net in Pittsburgh during the regular season game in 2016, the relax exchange with Stepan during the 2017 Ottawa series, and all the times he yelled and gave DMen the evil eye during this rebuild, there's a percentage that has had it and wants him gone. I don't think it impacts feelings of his number going to the rafters, but they're ready to move on. Right or wrong that is not why I'm posting this (I think you move on from him this offseason for cap) but this divorce has been brewing for a few years now.

what happened was his personal window closed. His game has gotten worse every year since then. He’s 38 years old. That’s not his fault that happens to everyone but he is not the biggest guy he plays so deep and he’s a horrible puck mover. He relies on speed which has diminished more and more every year. Leads to rebounds and scramble play and more shots. Why he would be different than anyone else that turns 38 is beyond me.

He should retire. He could eeek out a back up role somewhere but he should retire

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
what happened was his personal window closed. His game has gotten worse every year since then. He’s 38 years old. That’s not his fault that happens to everyone but he is not the biggest guy he plays so deep and he’s a horrible puck mover. He relies on speed which has diminished more and more every year. Leads to rebounds and scramble play and more shots. Why he would be different than anyone else that turns 38 is beyond me.

He should retire. He could eeek out a back up role somewhere but he should retire
He "should" do whatever the hell he feels like doing.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

Nobody is saying he’s different than anybody else and shouldn’t be criticized. But it seems like he’s judged more harshly than even the average player would in his circumstances. Like the fact that he used to be great makes just good performances seem bad and average seem awful and actually bad seem ECHL level.

Do you think he was bad today? I think compared to how he was playing in January and February today was night and day, he played well enough to deserve the win today. It may have happened without a Staal own goal and a non fire drill first shift. And even then it would’ve been him stealing it. Carolina undoubtedly carried play and had much better chances especially on the PP. Hank was good. It wasn’t 2014 but but he made some huge saves.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Zibanejad saying to swedish media right now that he is not satiesfied with his performance.
I know he scored the goal he he looked relatively pedestrian today overall.

We need him and Panarin to get back to normal to win this. Kreider too, he looked like it was preseason. Which I know it might feel like. But it’s a 5 game series, there’s no time for any more error.

Reactions: McSauer

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
You're not wrong about Shesterkin impacting the game with his ability to move the puck, but today, to me, it seemed like Carolina generated most of their pressure on controlled entries or in transition. They had no problem gaining the zone which would sort of mitigate the benefit you'd see from an aggressive, skilled puck handling goaltender. Lundqvist has always sucked moving the puck but I don't think it had much of an impact today.
Agreed, it really seemed like the biggest issue IMO today was giving up the blue line so freely which lead to tons of zone time.

It was a stark contrast to our time on the other end of the ice where it was dump and clear endlessly with almost no sustained pressure.

also the amount of time and space and open ice we gave the Canes when they were on the PP is not going to work. We’re lucky they only scoreD one power play goal. They dominated and pinned us almost the whole 2 mins every time with tons of chances. It was horrible.

Reactions: nyr2k2

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I don't think Shesterkin would have necessarily won the game today, but you have to play him in Game 2 if he's ready. The team, for whatever reason, played better in front of him this year. They were giving him what seemed like nightly 3-5 goal support to him during February. Maybe it's his puckhandling, his temperament, or just sample-size randomness, but I feel like the team always plays worse in front of Hank than their other goalies.

zFm0SnA.png

Last edited:

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn

We need him and Panarin to get back to normal to win this. Kreider too, he looked like it was preseason. Which I know it might feel like. But it’s a 5 game series, there’s no time for any more error.
+ Trouba and ADA

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

He wasn’t great but he looked like Patrick Mahomes compared to Panarin

Black Aces

Oct 4, 2008
Who do you guys bring up next game if Fast is out? And if McKegg gets scratched? Do we possibly see Kravtsov?
I would because I think he is capable of taking the same dumb penalties and making the same turnovers as McKegg. I dont think even limited minutes could hurt him in this scenario. It could maybe even help his psyche/ego. I doubt the rangers play him though.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Still trying to figure out what Trouba brings aside from chasing guys around the d zone to lay a hit, ultimately finding himself out of position.
Hank played well today. First one was tough, but would be hard to lay at his feet. Regardless, if Igor is healthy, he gets the start on Monday.
The rest of the team needs to get it together. The Canes forecheck was stifling. They have to figure out how to use the middle of the ice to come out of the D zone.
Loved Kakko and Chytil. If they keep playing well, Quinn should move them up in the line up. Build their confidence for the future.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
So why was Shesterkin out? I know he was unfit to play, injury, blah blah blah. Any details? I suspect the team wanted to give Henrik a chance to start. At least that's my hope. An actual injury would be unfortunate.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Also what the hell happened with Adam Fox today?
On a scale of bad from the team today, Fox doesn't register.
That said, he is a rookie playing his first playoff game. I thought he handled it well.
The bigger problem was the Canes forecheck.

Reactions: bleedblue94
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad